Options margin

Discussion in 'Options' started by Mdtbyk, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

how does IB calculate the margin requirements on options I want to sell a 30$ ES option and it calculate me a 15k initial Margin does it make sense ?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

They do not use SPAN. Good luck asking them.

Chubbly likes this.
  3. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

What’s span?

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

rtw likes this.
  5. Lee-

Lee-

IB uses "The Algorithm". It is never wrong and you may not question it. If you attempt to question it, you will be told that your question will be forwarded to Risk Management to thoughtfully and fully consider your query, however being that your query will question the perfection of The Algorithm, they will quickly respond with "The Algorithm is never wrong and cannot be overridden".

In short, don't attempt to calculate it yourself. The Algorithm is what makes the decision, so you need to just accept whatever number it gives you whether it makes logical sense or not.

Chubbly, iprome, Sig and 2 others like this.
  6. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

The problem is that when I have a limited amount of funds and I have a strategy I “like “ to trade with it basically makes it impossible to figure out how much money I’ll need to keep in my account in order not to get a margin call so it sucks

7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Formerly, a margin calculation algo was posted on the website. It may still be there. But with some of the things that have been posted on ET over the last 2 years, who knows? At any event, the website should be your first stop. But when your reach that asterisk that reads "*IB may on its own volition change margin requirements at any time and without prior warning."....... well then,....... :mad::banghead::mad::confused::wtf::vomit::rolleyes:o_O:(:finger::cool:

Mdtbyk likes this.
  8. prc117f

prc117f

This is why I would never open an account with IB. I do not like having some unknown algorithm deciding to liquidate a position regardless of risk level just because it found a risk where non exists.

How the heck are you supposed to trade if you cannot factor in your risk factor and manage it accordingly?

9. Mdtbyk

Mdtbyk

so where can i figure out the factors ?

10. prc117f

prc117f

you cant. The IB Algo could liquidate you at any moment. Even a bug etc.. could make a mistake and you can lose tons of money. I stick to TD and ETFC.

#10     Feb 15, 2018
    Chubbly, iprome and Sig like this.