Options contracts exceed the account?

Discussion in 'Options' started by antares66, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Is it possible that the option contracts held exceed the value of the account?
    Or does the broker limit the approach to buy more than the value of the account?
    I refer to IB`s margin accounts.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

No. Options are not marginable. A $50,000 account can't buy more than $50,000 in options. Does not matter what the broker is.

Stockolio likes this.
  3. ajacobson

ajacobson

Premium or strike. Strike can vastly exceed.

4. Sig

Sig

I think we're all confused as to what exactly you're asking @antares66 Another thing you could be asking is will your broker let you hold options where the value if you exercised them would exceed your account balance. The answer for IB is that they'll let you do that up to about 2 days before exercise, this you're subject to autoliquidation. Every broker has some way to ensure you have the cash to buy the stock if you hold to expiration, but usually don't care until just before expiration.

5. SumZero

SumZero

Is this standard in IB ? I thought that if the post-expiry margin predicted (in account window) was in excess of the allowed, they would autoliquidate option positions before the maturity.

6. Sig

Sig

I think officially they liquidate up to the day before, I've had them do it 2 days before so like many things at IB your results may vary depending on what "the algorithm" decides to do.

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

If this is an important issue for you don't you think it would be best to call or message your broker for an up to date process? Whatever current IB clients believe to be true, IB has shown a pattern of changing their process without warning.

8. elt894

elt894

9. What i have understood is, that the overnight margin is 50% of the corresponding shares the option refers to. I don`t know if ib liquidates the held options in the case of the corresponding shares exceed the account balance. But i guess so.