Opinion: Rudy Giuliani is is hands down the best choice for 2008

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ProfLogic, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Rudolph William Louis "rudy" giuliani III (born May 28, 1944) is an American lawyer, prosecutor, businessman, and Republican politician from the state of New York.

He gained his first fame as a United States Attorney prosecuting high-profile cases including ones against organized crime. He served as Mayor of New York City from 1994 to 2001, where he gained credit for reducing crime and improving the quality of life in the city, but also suffered adverse publicity due to relationships in his personal life. He then gained national attention for his leadership role during and after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center that led him to be named Time's 2001 Person of the Year and receive an honorary knighthood for Queen Elizabeth II. His public visibility in the days following the attacks earned him the nickname "America's Mayor."

Since leaving office as Mayor of New York, giuliani founded the successful giuliani Partners security consulting business, started through acquisition the giuliani Capital Advisors investment banking firm, and joined the bracewell & giuliani law firm. In February 2007 giuliani filed a statement of candidacy for the Republican nomination for the 2008 presidential campaign.

Now please tell me someone better at bringing the nation together through nonpartisan politics, better at cleaning up crime and corruption, better at the security issue, better at the immigration issue, better at simple common sense and just plain better at overall management of this country. I know personally that he would like to clean up the tax mess and is truly a person that cares about this country.

Feedback?

2. "I know personally that he would like to clean up the tax mess and is truly a person that cares about this country."

You confuse your beliefs with knowing...you don't know that he cares about this country.

Sheesh....Rudy Kool Aid drinker alert!

Rudy alone could not clean up the tax "mess" that would require action by congress.

Doh!

3. I think he'd be a great choice, and think he'd win IF he could win the Rep nomination. I doubt this seriously. He supports too many left leaning social issues (which I agree with BTW).

I'd vote for the guy, but I believe he will have to pull a Lieberman and run as an Indy.

McCain will get shot down due to his war beliefs, which leaves Romney, or some other, as yet noticed person to come to the forefront in that party.

4. I have previously stated that I am not a big Rudy fan, but I do think he has some potential to bring people together. He is certainly not the divisive figure Hillary is.

Unfortunately, we know little about his position on actual issues. He seems to be following the Obama strategy of letting people believe that he represents whatever they believe in and reaping the benefits of name recognition. This is not a bad strategy and it has worked very well so far for him. His poll numbers now have eclipsed the fast-fading McCain. It is instructive how quickly McCain's mainstream media cheerleaders have dropped him, now that Hillary is in the race and McCain represents a threat to her.

Rudy has to hope he can hold on to those numbers and become the presumptive nominee before he gets mired into debates over specific issues.

5. He then gained national attention for his leadership role during and after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center that led him to be named Time's 2001 Person of the Year and receive an honorary knighthood for Queen Elizabeth II

This one's interesting from a 'social psychology' perspective. What did he actually do, above and beyond what any other leader might have reasonably been expected to have done? What 'tough choices' did he make? What mistakes did he avoid that would have left New York in a vastly different shape than the one that emerged?

Basically, all I can pinpoint is that, like Bush, he looked and spoke the part. Obviously that's what people were looking for at the time (sort of like children scared of the dark comforted by a parent's brave posture and reassuring words). But that's the only thing the legend that developed around him is based on, as far as I can tell. I mean, let's say he waffled and acted 'indecisively': what would actually be different in the world, different about New York?

Obviously I'm not criticizing the man, but it's amusing to me how easily, and on what threadbare bases, perceptions are shaped.

6. Compare Rudi's leadership to Mayor Ray "Chocolate City" Nagin.....

7. achilles28

achilles28

Rudy is all establishment. So are his contenders

Therefore, his undeclared platform will be the same as his contenders - more tax, less freedom with a little flare to make it his own.

What do you think Rudys going to do about our open borders? Or the institutionalization of those open borders by way of the North American Union? Mind you - a Union fathered and promoted by his "conservative" soon-to-be-predecessor, George W Bush!!

Some of you "pundits" have your head so far up your ass its appauling.

8. The difference is the disaster in New Orleans took place over such a long time that decisions made during the period could have greatly influenced the eventual outcome. In New York, the planes hit, the towers came down in less than half of half a day. Really, how was it possible to seriously stuff anything up in the aftermath?

Again, not saying Rudy didn't do good, only that his reputation was blown out of all proportion to what he actually did.

9. achilles28

achilles28

Rudy is all establishment. So are his contenders

Therefore, his undeclared platform will be the same as his contenders - more tax, less freedom with a little flare to make it his own.

What do you think Rudys going to do about our open borders? Or the institutionalization of those open borders by way of the North American Union? Mind you - a Union fathered and promoted by his "conservative" soon-to-be-predecessor, George W Bush!!

Some of you "pundits" have your head so far up your ass its appauling.

10. K-Rock

K-Rock

Don't believe the hype. I lived in NYC when Rudy was mayor and he was a very divisive personality prior to 9/11. I hope he is smart enough not to run or else he will certainly lose his hero status after he is exposed.

For example: he relocated the city's Emergency Operations Center to the World Trade Center against conventional wisdom and was highly criticized for doing so prior to 9/11.

-“In June 1999, Mayor Rudolph Giuliani built a $13 million emergency crisis centre on the 27th floor of 7 World Trade Center..."

-Some "...contend that the medical response to the World Trade Center attack was hindered by the fact that the city's Office of Emergency Management (OEM) — which coordinates all aspects of a disaster response — was housed in 7 World Trade Center...”

-"...As Police Commissioner Howard Safir's chief of staff, Sheirer forcefully opposed the construction of the OEM center known as "the bunker" on an upper floor of 7 World Trade Center..."

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/WTC/7WTC.html

IMHO the above is one of many examples that will ruin his image if he decides to run.

#10     Feb 11, 2007