Online stock brokers

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by entropytrading, Feb 25, 2019.

1. https://www.barrons.com/articles/who-are-2019s-best-online-brokers-51550882807?mod=hp_DAY_14

Market volatility is commonplace. Interest rates, which a few months ago seemed certain to rise, now look likely to remain flat or possibly decline. The chances of an economic slowdown in the U.S. and overseas are high. So it’s tempting to follow the S&P 500, our own portfolios, and investment opportunities the way some of us check the weather—constantly and doggedly.

Online discount brokerage firms are happy to accommodate. They provide mobile apps that let customers monitor, analyze, and trade, often with the same speed, ease, and completeness as a desktop, and with complete interoperability. Live video and television feeds are now ubiquitous on desktop and mobile. A few brokerage firms have even begun to furnish information and research via Alexa and Siri. One, TD Ameritrade Holding (ticker: AMTD), recently added the ability to trade through Amazon Echo.

Rank Broker Rating
    1 Interactive Brokers ★★★★.5
    2 Fidelity ★★★★.5
    3 E*Trade ★★★★
    4 TD Ameritrade ★★★★
    5 Merrill Edge ★★★★
    6 Charles Schwab ★★★.5
    7 TradeStation ★★★.5
    8 tastyworks ★★★
    9 Ally Invest ★★★
    10 eOption ★★.5
    11 SogoTrade ★★.5
    12 AutoShares ★★.5
    13 Just2Trade ★★
    14 TradingBlock ★★

soulfire and def like this.
  2. ET180

ET180

Trading through Amazon Echo sounds like a really bad idea. "Alexa, buy 100 AMZN." "No shares! Not ATM calls you stupid b*tch!"

Not surprised that IB is at the top. I complain about them on here sometimes for glitches, but you can't beat them for pricing and API. Thought tastyworks would be a bit higher. No RobinHood? Never used it, but I hear about it.

3. vin2018

vin2018

Thanks for sharing the list. I have heard a lot about Charles Schwab.

4. Thanks for sharing. I am not a big fan of the Barrons Survey. No one really cares about this anymore. Therressa Carey who ran this program for Barrons left this and moved on and looks like someone new is not doing it and barrons is hanging on

Nobert and zdreg like this.
  5. zdreg

zdreg

the survey is a complete waste of time for non amateur traders.

MattZ likes this.
  6. zdreg

zdreg

even in Theresa carey's time the survey was limited in usefulness for traders. e.g.it never discussed the ease or lack of ease in putting up short sales

7. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

I bet the ranking reflects 1:1 the advertising budgets they use, not fills, quality of execution or platform.

8. zdreg

zdreg

I understand your skepticism. it is not likely the case. The two mentioned authors of the columns are lacking in knowledge, therefore they don't ask the right questions. the result is GIGO(garbage in garbage out). e.g. they are clueless to using quality of fills in the survey.

Nobert likes this.
  9. Nobert

Nobert

when i was 13 in 2003, a teacher sayid that ,,one of the highest danger for comming decades, are going to be, loosin thou in all of the worthless information on internet"
    ( quite a visionaire )

Thanks for introducing term GIGO.

10. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

It is not skepticism. Those who have the larger ad budget also have a larger number of customers and the cycle just becomes self-fulfilling. Even if the authors have asked specific questions, the results would not be any different.

#10     Feb 26, 2019