Oil arbitrage

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Krent Birshner, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Hi folks.... I hope you are all well....

I have an idea here to run by you folks. I have been studying the energy market very closely (in fact I have read almost all the new articles on Motley Fool and Investopedia from this past week...). I’ve learned (as some of you May or maybe not know) Barrels of oil are only $15. But after some research I found that an actual empty barrel (wood or steel) is actually very expensive (perhaps more than $100 per barrel). Now anyone with “half a brain” knows where I’m going with this...

So here is my idea folks. We buy oil at $15 a barrel then we dispose of the oil (perhaps sell it for $10 to petroleum stations? This is where we have to “lose money to make money”) and then we sell the barrels for $100. Do folks not realize that the barrels that oil is in are actually more valuable than the oil itself?

let’s here all of your thoughts on this.... I’ve been trying to poke holes in this idea but let me know what you folks thinks.... thanks, Krent

2. easymon1

easymon1

Barrels - Now We Can Make Whiskey!
    I'm in, where to send the check!

vanzandt likes this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

smart idea. but read this thread first :

Hin Leong Trading, oil trader from Singapore has filed for $4bn bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Nighthawk, 34 minutes ago.

also there are lots of people buying it thinking it is dirt cheap. and it gets cheaper and cheaper.
    definitely one day, price will go up.

4. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Why would an empty barrel cost more than a full one ? It doesn’t make sense. Who are those suckers ?

5. xandman

xandman

You need a barrel deposit?

Anyway, I don't think unrefined oil can be recycled. I saw a picture and it looks like mud.

6. maxinger

maxinger

oil is not stored in barrel. it is stored in huge container.

some people might store it in wine / whiskey barrel.

isotope and Sekiyo like this.
  7. xandman

xandman

Yep. A barrel has been abstracted into a simple unit of measure.

Metamega likes this.
  8. What if you'd buy like a whole boat full of crude, dump the oil into ocean and sell the damn boat afterwards!

isotope, schizo, Axon and 4 others like this.
  9. tsfx

tsfx

Interesting saying...that “half a brain”

Cause, surely, oil is sold WITH a barrel...

10. Possible you make a dime since some frackers are literally paying to get rid of their oversupply.

#10     Apr 20, 2020