Obama Makes Huge Mistake Trying To Look Tough

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Obama made a naive mistake in the debate by trying to appear bold in saying he would meet with rogue nations in his first year. Hillary sneeringly schooled him in front of the national media.

Now Obama has made an even bigger blunder trying to appear tough on terrorism. One good rule in diplomacy is you don't go around issuing public threats to your allies. Another useful rule is don't threaten countries who have nuclear weapons, because they are apt to tell you to piss off. Another good guideline is don't undermine pro american leaders, even if they are less than perfect, unless you are very certain the replacement won't be worse. (see Iran, Jimmy Carter).

By threatening Pakistan, Obama has managed to violate all these rules, plus made himself look like the rank amateur he is. This is the opening that a Biden needs, but I doubt he will make anything of it.

Obama might send troops into Pakistan By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer
    Wed Aug 1, 8:22 AM ET

WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Wednesday that he would possibly send troops into Pakistan to hunt down terrorists, an attempt to show strength when his chief rival has described his foreign policy skills as naive.

The Illinois senator warned Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf that he must do more to shut down terrorist operations in his country and evict foreign fighters under an Obama presidency, or Pakistan will risk a U.S. troop invasion and losing hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. military aid.

"Let me make this clear," Obama said in a speech prepared for delivery at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. "There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. It was a terrible mistake to fail to act when we had a chance to take out an al-Qaida leadership meeting in 2005. If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will."

The excerpts were provided by the Obama campaign in advance of the speech.

Obama's speech comes the week after his rivalry with New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton erupted into a public fight over their diplomatic intentions.

Obama said he would be willing to meet leaders of rogue states like Cuba, North Korea and Iran without conditions, an idea that Clinton criticized as irresponsible and naive. Obama responded by using the same words to describe Clinton's vote to authorize the Iraq war and called her "Bush-Cheney lite."

The speech was a condemnation of President Bush's leadership in the war on terror. He said the focus on Iraq has left Americans in more danger than before Sept. 11, 2001, and that Bush has misrepresented the enemy as Iraqis who are fighting a civil war instead of the terrorists responsible for the attacks six years ago.

"He confuses our mission," Obama said, then he spread responsibility to lawmakers like Clinton who voted for the invasion. "By refusing to end the war in Iraq, President Bush is giving the terrorists what they really want, and what the Congress voted to give them in 2002: a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences."

Obama said that as commander in chief he would remove troops from Iraq and putting them "on the right battlefield in Afghanistan and Pakistan." He said he would send at least two more brigades to Afghanistan and increase nonmilitary aid to the country by $1 billion.

He also said he would create a three-year, $5 billion program to share intelligence with allies worldwide to take out terrorist networks from Indonesia to Africa.

___

2. Hillary is the biggest hypocrite in the world. she said the same exact thing just a few months ago when she was bashing Bush and his policies.

I'm telling you the fix is in. Hillary is one big YouTube blooper and the media is in full protection mode. Obama's campaign is stumped by the media's failure to point out this blatant flub. little do they know the CFR has given Obama strict instructions to keep this all on the hush hush. hell he even got tough on terror since debate night.

WHAT A FRIKIN JOKE PEOPLE WAKE UP!!!

3. no.. he is somewhere in tikrit.. east west south and north of there. oh wait... those were the WMD's !!!

4. piezoe

piezoe

Obama quote: "Let me make this clear," Obama said in a speech prepared for delivery at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. "There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. It was a terrible mistake to fail to act when we had a chance to take out an al-Qaida leadership meeting in 2005. If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will."

Too bad Obama wasn't president when the towers were hit, or indeed in 2005. Even though Mr. Laden was not (so far as we were told) in Mr. Musharraf's country on 9/11, i doubt that Obama would have given Mr. Laden a months warning that we were going to "smoke'em out," and i doubt that he would give either Mr. Musharraf or Mr. Laden a months advance notice that we were coming to get him (Mr. Laden) in Pakiststan. In fact i can't imagine anyone with more braincells than a turnip staying put if given a months notice that someone was coming to "smoke'em out." Even Mr. Bush is not THAT stupid.

5. i'll ignore your race baiting....

please explain why the media would go silent and also obama would keep his mouth shut? hillary is pulling away in the polls after this bullshit "experience" crap. but she said the exact same thing obama did? and the media blacks it out? i called obama's campaign and they are stumped.. but they thanked me none the less.

6. no dipshit... about Hillary contradicting herself... she said she would do the same exact thing as obama.. i.e sit down and meet with the syrian and iranian leaders.

7. learn to spell ridiculous you idiot. it makes you look "rediculous."

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. so.. you want to debate the CFR ??? these traitors want to destroy this country... almost all of the corporate shill candidates are CFR members.... most past presidents have been also. they hate our sovereignty and want to usher in the NAU. if you support them then you are a traitor also. doesn't surprise me though, moomoo.

10. i said if... IF... IF...IF you support them.

is that too hard for you?

#10     Aug 1, 2007