NYT article on Real Vision ("HGTV for Hedge Fund Hopefuls")

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by ajensen, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ajensen

ajensen

What do people think of Real Vision?

Offering Inspiration and Advice, Real Vision Is HGTV for Hedge Fund Hopefuls
    By Landon Thomas Jr.
    New York Times
    October 2, 2018

For a modest fee, Real Vision will connect investors to a network of elite Wall Street analysts, traders and hedge fund managers, making it easier for novices like Mr. O’Dea to jump the line.

Raoul Pal, a former hedge fund executive who also worked at Goldman Sachs and runs an investment strategy service called Global Macro Investor, co-founded Real Vision. Since then, 20,000 people have signed up, paying $180 a year to hear directly from financial insiders.

It is a vibrant community with an average age of 38, which distinguishes it from CNBC and its more mature audience. Mixing the Netflix payment model with a cozy interview style, Real Vision offers to help upstart investors decode the mysteries of today’s markets. It features those insiders presenting their views in lengthy, explanatory videos: How to short China, the long-term opportunities in emerging markets and the best way to play Bitcoin, among others.

A nearly hourlong interview with the billionaire Mark Cuban is among the free videos on the site. And last week, Stanley F. Druckenmiller, an industry star, gave a long interview warning of a debt bubble in the market.

2. Specterx

Specterx

I split an RV sub with a buddy a few years ago. Some of the videos were interesting but it's definitely infotainment rather than serious research, let alone any kind of "inside" info. Wasn't at all relevant to my trading so I dropped it.

ajensen likes this.
  3. vanv0029

vanv0029

I am going to try the 14 day free trial when I have some free time. I found the
    interview with short seller Marc Cohodes very interesting. He is a terrible
    person trying to harm capital formation that he justifies with delusions.
    He lives in Napa CA and I think is supported and encouraged by Silicon
    Valley. By attacking some companies with his large fund and not shorting
    companies that are favored by Silicon Valley he maybe created our current
    economy of just one large company per industry. For example, he helped
    AMZA form by attacking OSTK and stopping it from growing going back to 2006.
    OSTK (Bryne) won a legal case but by then AMZA was dominant. Cohodes
    explanation for the legal case that found Cohodes and Rocker to be liars
    is that the government changed the rules. Another example of
    Cohodes rationalization is his short attack (through his web sites too) of
    Badger Daylighting (BAD.CA). When his fraudulent business model theory
    turned out wrong, he started saying BAD.CA was a polluter. Every excavation
    company is a polluter using Cohodes definition.

This is the sort of market psychology information I find helpful.

ajensen likes this.
  4. dealmaker

dealmaker

If you want actionable ideas, Raoul Pal's https://www.globalmacroinvestor.com/index.asp
    I am not a member. I do believe they have an institutional and a retail version.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018