NYC Homeless Reaches Highest Levels In 25 Years

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Dec 23, 2008.

1. NEW YORK (AP) - The number of homeless families staying in New York City shelters has hit its highest level in 25 years.

The Coalition for the Homeless says a record 9,720 families stayed in shelters in the month of November. That breaks a previous high of 9,500 in September 2007. It's 13 percent higher than a count of 8,607 families in May.

The coalition says it's the highest number of documented homeless families since the city began keeping count in 1983.

Homeless advocates fear the number could jump even higher if the economic turmoil in the city worsens.

City Department of Homeless Services officials say the city is equipped to handle the increase and is serving all homeless families.

http://wcbstv.com/local/homeless.nyc.shelters.2.893315.html

2. The Coalition for the Homeless says a record 9,720 families stayed in shelters in the month of November.
    -----------------------------

Looking good. 9,720 Democrats - voting prospects for Acorn.

3. you got some hard bark on you.

About $800 billion of US taxpayers' funds spent or approved for spending through mid-2009 IN Iraq.

No wonder there is no money left to house and feed our own families.

Sad state of affairs :(

4. About $800 billion of US taxpayers' funds spent or approved for spending through mid-2009 IN Iraq.
    -----------------------------------

There was a time when I had the same beliefs. Something along the line, we could use that money for a more worthy benefit. It'll never happen. If we saved one dime by moving out of Iraq or wherever, the defense dime would be spent to build a new plane or ship.

A budget is a budget is a budget.

5. sammybea

sammybea

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read. But I do think that this is the type of mentality that put Obama in the White House. If you look into the facts, homeless in NYC for the most part declined in NYC during the Bush years. Bloomberg took most of the credit and is part of the reason why term limits don't apply to him.. lol

Additionally, while they said homeless is higher than anytime since '83, they don't factor in POPULATION GROWTH!!!!! NYC added over a million residents since the 80's. The percentage of homeless is what counts.

It sucks to be on that side of the economic scale... what sucks even more is to be so uneducated that you blame Bush when Chris Dodd, Pelosi, and Obama pushed legislation that made it easier for the poor to obtain housing loans that wrecked the economy. Thanks a million for hurting the very people you were "trying" to help.

6. You're are far from educated yourself if you honestly believe that. Or just easily swayed by right wing media.

P.S. No I am not promoting left wing, both are owned by the same club

7. 800 BILLION.. let's spend it here at home feeding, housing, building new roads and bridges.. making OUR lives better in good ol US A.

With that kind of money to burn there shouldn't be even ONE cold hungry sick person in the US! or even a pothole!

8. you've GOT to be kidding. NYC spends about $150K per head of my tax dollars on the homeless. For me to be able spend $150K on myself in NYC, I first have to make $300K. What you should be asking is WTF are they doing with all that dough. My guess is the government officials are figuring out how to line their own pockets with it.

9. 9700 in a city of 10 million is not that bad.
    Every one of them is a human tragedy of course.

If one ever had contact with the homeless or people in the shelters as I have on occasion one would realize that a certain very small percentage of the population is not even fit to handle having their apartment. Mental problems, substance abuse, incompetence etc.

Way back I have volunteered in a shelter for homeless men and I was serving meals. Some of these people did not even have the initiative to move their empty plate to make room for the next course.

GC

10. what's wrong with helping people that can't (or won't) help themselves for whatever reason at this time in their lives?

i also feed homeless dogs and cats that come my way.. i can't help it that's the way i am i guess i'm soft and foolish :confused:

#10     Dec 23, 2008