No carb diet - anybody doing it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hapaboy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. I've done the Low Carb deal for going on Five years now.

I love it. I eat more (mass of) food now than I did when I ate crap food prior to living this way.

Three meals, two snacks and a dessert every day with no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day.

The desserts consist of cheesecake, chocolate cake, hot chocolate and ice cream.

Once every three months, I take a week off, and eat popcorn, french fries - or whatever other 'bad for you' foods I avoid the rest of the year.

I still smoke, and drink plenty of vodka, but I also walk 8 miles a day (M - F).

My check-ups (HDL, LDL, tri-glycerides, etc) always come in stellar, but of course, the doc always bitches at me to quit smoking. :D :D

I'll have a revised copy of the diet I use (includes carbs, total calories, sodium and fiber counts) finished by this weekend. I'm placing all the information into an excel sheet (complete with links to what brand names I use and with hyperlinks to items which may be unavailable in your area).

Send me a PM with an email address if you would like a copy.

HTH.

- Spydertrader

#11     Jan 27, 2010
  2. So you only consume 80 calories of carbohydrates per day? Nonsense. You need to have a closer look at the caloric breakdown of the food you eat.

#12     Jan 27, 2010
  3. My total caloric intake each day ranges from 1500 to 1800 calories. My net Carbohydrate count sits at 20 grams (or fewer) per day - subtracting out any carbs resulting from fiber. Most days, the net carb count falls around 12 - 15.

I hope that was more clear.

Edit: I just glanced at my menu and the highest gross carb count for any day is 32 grams.

This information comes directly off the food labeling or from the USDA web site.

- Spydertrader

#13     Jan 27, 2010
  4. So you're saying that your absolute total daily carbohydrate intake is limited to 32 grams (equivalent to 128 calories)?

#14     Jan 27, 2010
  5. If you tell me that each gram of carbohydrate = 4 calories, then yes, that is what I am saying.

- Spydertrader

#15     Jan 27, 2010
  6. Then I will say that you are mistaken. Give me an example of an average day's meals and I will prove it to you. I will gladly admit if I'm wrong. Again, just to confirm, we are talking about all carbohydrates, both "good" and "bad," being limited to 32 grams per day.

#16     Jan 27, 2010
  7. 3 poached eggs (0 carbs)

1/4 cup of almonds (2 net carbs)

Chicken breast (0 carbs)
    1 serving of cheddar cheese (0 carbs)
    1/2 pickle (2 carbs)

1/4 cup of mixed nuts (4 net carbs)

1 turkey breast (0 carbs)
    1.5 servings of brocolli (3 net carbs)
    2 servings of mozzarella cheese (0 carbs)

Jello and Whipped cream (1 carb)

That is today's menu.

I look at a food label (or visit the USDA Web Site). A number is listed there next to the word 'Carbohydrate.' I write that number down and subtract any fiber (listed just below the carbohydrate total).

For example Mixed Nuts (1/4 cup) have 6 total carbs, but 2 grams of that total is fiber. Same with almonds, they have 5 total carbs with 3 carbs from fiber.

HTH.

- Spydertrader

#17     Jan 27, 2010
  8. are you insane??!! :eek:

#18     Jan 27, 2010
  9. Spydertrader, for all intents and purposes, it looks like I was wrong about your diet, not that I'm a fan. (I note you left out any reference to the cheesecake, chocolate cake, hot chocolate and ice cream you mentioned in your earlier post. I'll let you have that one.) I stay away from all unhealthy food choices, but I must say that your regimen is painfully character-building, with the exception of your dessert choices. I only eat very lean cuts meat 2 or 3 times a week in relatively small portions, and a lot more vegetables, legumes, soy, fruit and omega-rich foods. Not to mention low-fat and no-fat dairy. As an aside, you might wish to consider adding ground flaxseed to some of your foods. It's one of the so-called "super foods."

Again, you were right. I was wrong.

P.S. Since, you like nuts, you may wish to try this combo: equal parts walnuts and raisins with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds. It's really quite tasty.

#19     Jan 27, 2010
  10. trendo

trendo

Protein has 4 calories per gram. If you really want to put a fine point on the subject, you could use the figure for Net Metabolisable Energy, protein weighs in at 3.2 calories per gram.
    http://fatnews.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/2220/

#20     Jan 27, 2010