New Dell workstation 3660 has unusual Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qqq, Jul 15, 2022.

1. qqq

qqq

Hi,
    Just bought a new Dell 3660 workstation with Following specs:

Intel i-7 12700 CPU
    Windows-11 Pro.
    Two NVIDIA T-600 Cards each with 4miniDP ports to run 8 Monitors ( 24 inch each 1920x1200 resolution)
    16GB DDR5
    Three 512GB NVME
    Three 4TB Sata 5400 RPM.

Since there are Large 8 Monitors, I have to sit at least 4 to 6 feet away so I can see all 8 monitors & be able to read text from them. But there are two major problems & I don't know the reasons. I am new to Win-11.

(1) In windows explorer file & folder names are too small to read so I increased the text size to 225% in Windows settings ( Image # 1 ) to be able to read. But then the file & folder names get clipped as in attachment #2. So I had reduced it to 20% but then I can not read anything because font size is too small. I also tried to increase scale size but that does not help either.
    The problem persists with text size in other windows & right click menu even after increasing it to 225% as in images #3, 4, 5 shown here.
    I have been using Win-7 with 12 Monitors but never had this problem.

(2) Out of 8 Monitors one monitor resolution is such that everything is too large like Text, images etc. If I connect that monitor to my older system there is no problem, so nothing wrong with monitor.

(3) In two monitors I have to forcefully push the mouse to go to another monitor.

Those using Windows -11 might have answers to some of the problems & some graphics card experts too might have a clue.

I know Scat must be smiling & just might have a solution.

Please help.

Thank You

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. maxinger

maxinger

4 to 6 feet from the monitors seems to be rather big.
    no wonder you have to increase the font size (and perhaps chart candlesticks .....).

I am 3 feet from my 6 monitors (42" & 32").

have you tried changing
    DISPLAY---> SCALE (100% to say 200%)

let's see if anyone can provide the solution to your problem.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    murray t turtle and Ninja like this.
  3. Nope, not smiling. Sympathetic. Troubleshooting video issues can be a challenge.

4. Ninja

Ninja

Which monitors are you using? For most 24 inch monitors the native resolution still is 1920x1080.

I don't know about Windows 11, but with Windows 10 I could solve my video issues when I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers (and their control panel) from their support page.

Also increasing the text size to 225% could be just too much. For me with my setup 125% is the best choice in order to avoid problems.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. qqq

qqq

Yes I did & I have mentioned it in my post. I tried several combination of Text size & Scale together but nothing helps.

6. qqq

qqq

Such a nice guy Scat. Thank you. I was fixed on trying 3660. This is just the beginning. I have not installed the Market apps yet.

While installing there was a microphone issue & Dell support spent 2.5 Hrs on Monday & 3 Hours on Wednesday troubleshooting the issue online but couldn't fix it. I just fooled around a bit & now it is working.

7. maxinger

maxinger

noted.

it seems like there are multiple problems with multiple monitors.

Microsoft / display card makers / display card ports .... are guilty of not fixing these problems.
    The problem I have been facing is WINDOWS reshuffle after you lock (WIN+L) the computer.
    This problem is due to the new Display Port DP.
    so for the past 1 decade, every time I unlock my computer, I have to reshuffle the windows and I have to spend a few minutes doing that.

I suspect the major corporations are not using something similar to what we are using.
    Perhaps they are not using Microsoft and not using the new D P port.

8. qqq

qqq

I am using Dell 24 inch ( 1920x1200 ) which I bought 10 years ago & still going.
    But that is Win-10. Win -11 is just PIA. With 125% you can barely read any text 4 feet away.

9. qqq

qqq

I have been using 12 Monitors ( 24 inch, 1920x1200 ) for last 10 years with Win-7 & cheep AMD 512Mb cards without a hitch. So the problem could be Win-11 OR Video cards or something else.

10. SunTrader

SunTrader

4 to 6 feet away! :wtf: That would be an absolutely deal-breaker for me.

#10     Jul 15, 2022