New BATS options market EDGX Options goes live

Discussion in 'Options' started by rmorse, Nov 5, 2015.

1. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

BATS Global Markets launched EDGX Options on Monday, the company's second options market, which has a different pricing model from the company's existing BZX Options market, designed to attract a different segment of options trading.

Unlike BZX Options, which trades based on a price-time trading model with maker-taker pricing, EDGX Options will use a customer priority/pro rata allocation model, which means orders will trade based on price and size.

"Two-thirds of U.S. options market volume is executed on exchanges with a pro rata model, and we believe we can help make markets better for participants in this segment of the market through our innovative technology, operating efficiency, market-leading pricing, and first-class customer service," said Brian Harkins, executive vice president and head of U.S. markets at BATS, when plans to launch EZX Options were first announced.

Taken from: http://www.fiercefinanceit.com/story/new-bats-options-market-edgx-options-goes-live/2015-11-03

2. can you explain what pro rat allocation model is?

3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Pro rata to me means a match based on size. 10 people with orders matching the bid, 10 matches based on size. If you are 25% of the bid, you should get a 25% match. 100 trade, you get 25. I'm not sure if that is what they are doing. I'd have to look into it more closely or call them.