Need software recommendation for IB

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Kamstar, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Kamstar

Kamstar

Hello everyone, I would like some recommendations on software from you pros to a young grasshopper. I'm using interactive brokers and the software is horrible. I'm looking for something with nice charts, a good scanner, options chain, and maybe some BUY/SELL strategies integrated in. Also looking for data feed so if theres any offering free software I'd also be interested in that! If someone can give me some options I'd greatly appreciate it, I will download some demos and check them out! Happy trading!

2. cafeole

cafeole

Ninjatrader has a free charting and backtesting system and will hook to IB's datafeed. You will still have to use TWS for option chains.

3. I think you're chasing a unicorn. If you ever catch it, let me know.

That said, TWS isn't so bad. After you use it for a while, it will beat you into submission. It's kinda like living in a really cluttered house--it's not very comfortable, but slowly you learn where everything is even if it's not where it should be.

d08 likes this.
  4. Kamstar

Kamstar

Ty Ill check it out

5. Kamstar

Kamstar

I agree that im chasing a unicorn, will try to find more demos for software because i like to trade off TA and momentum

6. truetype

truetype

Medved Trader is a possibility. There are several Jerry Medved enthusiasts on the site.

j_medved likes this.
  7. Kamstar

Kamstar

Ty this looks actually really good! Ill try it out

8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Out-of-the-box, IB's TWS is little more than a glorified spreadsheet.
    But it's not meant to be used that way.
    TWS is configurable in 2 or 3 ways on pretty much hundreds of different features -- meaning that there are a near-infinite number of possible set-ups.
    But if you didn't like TWS, and desire some other cookie-cutter platform, that's your business.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."

9. Kamstar

Kamstar

Thank you tommcginnis very insightful information with your post

10. TWS Charts are basic. If you are doing technical analysis, I do not think it's enough, but otherwise it should be sufficient once you get the hang of it.

TWS Screener is pretty weak. Can only search based on a few criteria. There might be some better ones out there. Something like 'GuruFocus' has a more extensive list of criteria to filter upon.

TWS Option tools are pretty good. Not sure what you are doing (perhaps something very advanced?). But there are many different options tools included, so it might be worthwhile to spend a day or two forcing yourself to try them out and learn them before deciding it's not sufficient.

#10     Jul 10, 2018