NAncy pelosi thinks rising gasoline price is due to speculators

Discussion in 'Politics' started by staffpro, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Brass

Brass

Really? So outside the US, gasoline prices are either stable or falling? Tell me more.

#41     Feb 24, 2012
  2. As related to the price of gold, good read actually, here in the U.S. I would like to see a similar analysis about Europe and Asia.

c

#42     Feb 24, 2012
  3. MKTrader

MKTrader

While other "traders" defend statements like "We need to take strong action to protect consumers from this speculation"?
    Thanks, Nancy. We'll let you make millions from your permanent political class rigged games, but please, reign in us evil speculators.

And how do we know it's overreach? Because Pelosi or Exxon say so? Do we really know where oil should be priced in an age of apparently non-ending ZIRP, Middle East tensions, and totally misguided domestic energy policy? The Forbes article was spot-on. Look at oil's price in terms of gold, not printed paper from a bankrupt nation.

If we have another major recession, maybe oil will fall sharply again. But for now, it is what it is. It's up to Pelosi and her ilk to control spending, de-regulate productive energy sources (and stop subsidizing pseudo-science green energy), etc. Speculators are simply pricing in the world we live in and its misguided policies.

#43     Feb 24, 2012
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Thanks for quoting Gabby on that, no idea why he decides to ask me questions when I cannot see them, but the question lacks basic understanding of the ability the Federal Reserve has to influence commodity prices, which are based in US dollars, by printing and devaluing the dollar.

Devaluing the dollar makes the price of oil in dollars go up, yes. But the flood of liquidity and easing by the Fed, and the ECB, the BoJ, the BoE, etc. is a race to the bottom in currencies. The amount of money sloshing around goes into asset prices. This unprecedented amount of printing has lead to a rise in all commodities. Food, if you recall, was going berserk for the last year and a half. Now it's oil's turn.

[​IMG]

#44     Feb 24, 2012
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

It's very simple, actually. If you take away all that friggen liquidity, asset prices will fall.

#45     Feb 24, 2012
  6. Brass

Brass

I don't know who you're talking about. I defended no one. I merely questioned anyone who doubts that this price run has a speculative element attached to it.

#46     Feb 24, 2012
  7. MKTrader

MKTrader

And the speculative element is related to cheap money. That was the case in Tulipmania and is today. Pelosi totally misses this and blames the wrong source.

#47     Feb 24, 2012
  8. Brass

Brass

Go ahead, read the thread title.

#48     Feb 24, 2012
  9. MKTrader

MKTrader

Unless it has been changed to "NAncy pelosi thinks rising gasoline price is due to the Fed and politicians like her," then it's asinine.

#49     Feb 24, 2012
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Precisely.

#50     Feb 24, 2012