Name Dropping

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Buy1Sell2, May 4, 2017.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

From Wikipedia. Seems appropriate---

"Name-dropping is used to position oneself within a social hierarchy. It is often used to create a sense of superiority by raising one's status. By implying (or directly asserting) a connection to people of high status, the name-dropper hopes to raise his or her own social status to a level closer to that of those whose names he or she has dropped, and thus elevate himself or herself above, or into, present company.

Name-dropping can also be used to identify people with a common bond. By indicating the names of people one knows, one makes known his or her social circle, providing an opportunity for others with similar connections to relate.[7]

As a form of appeal to authority, name-dropping can be an important form of informal argumentation, as long as the name being dropped is of someone who is an expert on the subject of the argument and that person's views are accurately represented."

dealmaker likes this.
  2. Handle123

Handle123

That might work in corporate world but if you look at trading and drop names of people you might have had as mentors, very very few are worth mentioning as most were crooks. Like nearly all that I had meet in 80/90s who at the time were thought to be market gods, in the 2000's most HAD to leave USA or get jailed.

3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I see folks from time to time here drop names. Trying to categorize them into one of the above 3 categories is an interesting question.

4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

When I see name dropping, my first inclination is to feel negatively about the dropper. It's not intentional, it's just my first impression.

lovethetrade likes this.
  5. Thanks for the link. I sent this article to my good friends George and Victor and they really enjoyed it.

GAT

6. Yup, same. It reeks of insecurity/neediness, something that sets off my spider-sense.

lovethetrade likes this.
  7. hmm this might explain why everyone and their mother has a negative view of marketsurfer

8. comagnum

comagnum

I don't think there is anything wrong with dropping the name of well known traders, like some of the market wizards, when referring to their trading strategy or direct quotes. Just as in any other serious pursuit of acquiring talent ranging from sports, music, business, etc. people look to best big names to gain wisdom. To never drop a name, or otter a word spoken by one of the great traders in a forum - really? Even the great traders in interviews often speak of the great predecessors that inspired & shaped them.

murray t turtle and marketsurfer like this.
  9. Super funny thread/post-- even the wikipedia link talks about the jealousy displayed--- you hate the "hunter" who has made the kill- but will not give u a piece lmfao! so threads like this arise to make you feel better-- very good description below

Keep on insulting the meat--- :D:D;)

A good example is given by Richard Borshay Lee in his account of the Khoisan, who practice "insulting the meat." Whenever a hunter makes a kill, he is ceaselessly teased and ridiculed (in a friendly, joking fashion) to prevent him from becoming too proud or egotistical. The meat itself is then distributed evenly among the entire social group, rather than kept by the hunter. The level of teasing is proportional to the size of the kill. Lee found this out when he purchased an entire cow as a gift for the group he was living with, and was teased for weeks afterward about it (since obtaining that much meat could be interpreted as showing off).[18]

10. Great post everyone does it-to a degree-- except those who don't know anyone or don't have a mentor/someone to look up to-- (obviously)

#10     May 4, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.