Name a better online charting software...

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Jack_Larkin, Sep 30, 2018.

1. TradingView pulled way ahead of anything else I've seen online and at this point I'd rather use TradingView than my broker's (Interactive Brokers) shit-tastic TWS charts built into their platform.

WAYYY cheaper than eSignal.. extendable with custom indicators and scripts via Pine Language.. has real time options for nearly every exchange I can ever think of trading (and then some..)

Example AAPL Chart

Name a better package that isn't priced out of this world..

antiseptic, VPhantom, Onra and 3 others like this.
  2. cafeole

cafeole

Totally agree. Nice charts, good price, and Pine Language is great.

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. Sprout

Sprout

TV offers great value.

Unfortunately, pinescript has some limitations that cannot be overcome - mainly there’s sparce documentation, example code, forum for knowledgeable support and there is no debugger.

However there are things it can do very well that surpasses what’s available in other platforms.

Edit: The social media aspect of it commendable but unfortunately one cannot post intraday charts.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    tommcginnis and MarkBrown like this.
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I'm totally okay with that for a current need, which is posting things to nonTWS users and doing so without regard to the clock (and TWS' penchant for being down just when you'd like to share something.
    And for that matter, much of what I'd like to share would be at a 3month/1-day candle level anyway -- or maybe 1week/1-hour but I'll check that out later.

Thanks for the reference! I haven't shopped for anything like this for quite a while. :thumbsup:

They should've put this up top of the site!
    https://www.tradingview.com/gopro/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  5. Sprout

Sprout

Personally I like the platform a lot. It's elegant, streamlined and can be accessed from anywhere and not localized per workstation. The drawing tools are topnotch and it implements drawing templates which I use extensively.

However as my needs change as I explore automation, I'm porting some of my scripts into NT8. It was a daunting decision and on the most part will be using both pieces of software simultaneously. One thing that has reduced my learning curve is a simple product known as NinjaScript Programmer's LaunchPad. It's a simple overview of what to focus on in terms of getting up and running on NT8 quickly without having to learn the entire C# namespace objects and .Net framework.

schweiz and tommcginnis like this.
  6. Palindrome

Palindrome

Very nice for free software, thanks for posting

7. PistolPete

PistolPete

Tradingview is great , versatile and easy if you dont code but that pinescript is total shite

I use the spreadcharts/composites on TV a lot

I do my coding work on Prorealtime

8. APPLE.png
    Plus, you get daily and weekly market commentary from the experts, like John Murphy, Martin Pring and Carl Swenlin, just to name few! Its worth every penny!

VPhantom and tommcginnis like this.
  9. lol.. well the free version is fine too for casual traders.. but yes, I do use the Pro version. Actually, I took off most of my data subscriptions with IB / TWS and just subscribe to data off TradingView.

tommcginnis likes this.
  10. It looks pretty solid. Looking though the various links on their website, I couldn't figure out what coding language is offered.

#10     Oct 1, 2018