[MY VIDEO] What did I do wrong here?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by darkmoon47, Oct 10, 2017.

Do you do bracket trading like me?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  3. Too volatile

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Depends on market conditions and which market

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hello everyone,

I did a bracket trade on CL with my own recorded video HERE. Please watch it in HD.

So, basically I do know about market volatility and all the stuff which can explain why I never got filled (I tried 5 times the same thing over several weeks and never got filled).

But my question is - is any platform other than Ninja Trader able to fill in these orders at those times (extreme volatility) or is anything better gonna happen with Ninja Trader itself, i.e. will they make it in such a way in the future that no orders will be left unfilled at all with their genius programming?

Thank you for your inputs.

2. Overnight

Overnight

Something looks squirrely with the ATM you have there. Can't place my finger on it, but it looks like you have the bracket, but then stop limit on one side after you get the fill? And you do this on inventory report?

And it is from 2 months ago and you are asking now? Fascinating.

3. JackRab

JackRab

You probably used a limit order? So... the stop-sell was triggered at 49.40 and where should the sell order have been executed? If it was at 49.40 the market simply dropped too fast and you trying to sell at the offer doesn't cut it.

What you want to do is sell below your stop level. Depending on the move you expect, it can be quite far from it.

So, say market is trading around 49.50... you have the sell-stop trigger at .40 but you likely need to have the actual sell limit at say .35

But even then, you might miss it. A lot will go on a market sell, which will execute before any limit orders and the quote will move away quite rapidly, as you've seen. And I'm not sure you would want to do a market order instead of a limit since it's likely you will sell at the bottom, you will be lagging quite a bit from the pros.

Also,... mind the bounce....

4. Overnight

Overnight

Yah, the SLM-tag on the charts equaled stop limit. Why he got crunched on that one I do now know. But sim on CL report can get squirrely.

5. JackRab

JackRab

He didn't use an offset I think... but even then, market dropped from 50 to 22 virtually instantly. So likely market orders and/or faster limit orders swiped everything between. Nothing you can do really...

This is one of the reasons stop-loss orders don't always work....

6. Overnight

Overnight

It doesn't matter. It was sim. Sim does not equal real life. So it is all bloody moot. If it was real money we can take a look at the log and see the real deal. Arguing about a sim falderal is like arguing that your husband has a delayed...Nevermind, this is not the forum to rant upon.

7. JackRab

JackRab

Great... a f#$cking sim.... what a waste of brainpower. Lucky it's pretty quiet on this side of the ocean, otherwise I would be cracking some stuff...

Speaking of cracking... I'm hungry, I'll go out and get me some eggs....

Or maybe some sushi... hmm...

8. JackRab

JackRab

Since it's a sim... do I then select "No" in his little bracket trading poll? :D

9. JackRab

JackRab

Wait... how do you know Bob's using a sim @Overnight

10. Overnight

Overnight

Get lobster eggs. It is egg, and is also a fish-thing. You therefore get the best of both worlds.

#10     Oct 10, 2017
    JackRab likes this.