My IBKR initial margin has gone through the roof overnight

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by tonyf, May 13, 2021.

1. tonyf

tonyf

Just woke up this morning to find my initial margin up c.40%!
    Maintenance margin is only up 10%.

Not underwater but IB effectively luck me out from opening new positions!

2. What type of portfolio holdings do you have? Options, stocks, etc?

I do appreciate warnings like this, but more details are always helpful. FWIW, I see my IB margins unchanged presently, but I have mostly US stocks.

3. tonyf

tonyf

Yes, I do hold a bunch of options. I was just wondering if this was an IBKR wide margin policy to reflect the recent spike in the VIX or whether it is constrained to my account.

4. Or maybe related to specific symbols/contracts. It does not have to be caused by all the positions you hold. IB has a tendency to increase margin on contracts which see an increase in volatility. That does not necessarily need to correlate with the VIX.

5. Same here. All options. Tsla, Amzn.

Imma guessing they increased the initial margin so you won't add any positions.

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. When you deal with a broker, that basically allows trading in every market in every country, your going to have issues like this. I trade futures and deal with a futures-only broker. Find your niche then find a broker that specializes in that product.

7. tonyf

tonyf

Who's beat for US illiquid options?

8. There were multiple times last year when futures brokers increased margins. For example they all sent out notices prior to the election that margins were going up. Also during the covid volatility there was an entire week or two when margins required the full amount.

Does IBKR have a known formula for when they increase margins? No one likes surprises when it comes to finances...

9. I trade futures with IB and have not noticed a substantial margin increase during the last few weeks.
    It appears to me that this topic is specific to US options trading at IB.

10. OH, so there was good reason after all/good points.
    SINCE ANY broker makes more on more volume\ must be a good reason/ as your post proved . I kept a chart of silver going up to $50;
    margin/maint margin went up along with silver price.
    Another good reason to raise margins ;
    no money down real estate has bigger forclosure rate...........................................

#10     May 14, 2021