MultiCharts and MultiCharts.Net running on same Windows machine?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by goslow, Jun 4, 2020.

1. goslow

goslow

This is to ask whether anyone is doing this. I assume only one program would run at once, but that both might share a single data subscription.

2. goslow

goslow

Ok, I'm reduced to answering my own thread. From here on, I'll log what I find out. And maybe open a journal, if it gets long.

Firstly, I'll call the two versions 64 and .net64, which is shorthand for their real names, "Multicharts64" and "Multicharts.net64."

Both versions can be installed on the same machine, and the desktop shell links (shortcuts) launch the correct program. (This may not always have been true, if memory serves.)

They apparently cannot share a database. That is, if you change the database location for .net64 to the one used by 64, there will be problems. If you try to share, it may be necessary to repair-reinstall one or both to get things like QuoteManager's Data Sources dialog to populate. It's better to let each of 64 and .net64 continue to have its own database, and take steps to copy data from one to the other periodically offline. This may be a data-vendor specific issue.

So, as of now, to get both programs running together, evidently you are able to do this:
    • Install both into default (separate) locations.

• Leave installation preferences as-is, except: 1) don't launch workspaces at startup, since that may prevent you from making changes to other settings and have them take effect in that session. 2) keep both programs in off-line mode, if both are going to be running at once. I hope there is a way around this, at least for one of the programs. Details later. 3) don't save workspaces automatically on program exit, since that can lead to grief and egg-unscrambling.

• Before copying database files, do a MultiCharts Backup from the StartMenu on one or both program versions, and/or in Windows Explorer. This is a backstop fix for clobbering your database, which could happen if you make a fat-finger mistake. I won't give explicit details, since someone/somewhere will mess it up, and consider blaming the instructions.
    Next, I'll be posting something about the process of migrating 64 indicators to .net64, with both programs running in offline mode. And eventually I hope to say what I learn about connecting .net64 to other programs, e.g., databases possibly for data reduction, machine learning, etc.