MSFT Update - Bookmarks Bar

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DallasCowboysFan, May 22, 2017.

1. I downloaded a MSFT update today.

After I restarted the laptop, I realized that I had lost several of the shortcuts on my Bookmarks Bar.

They still exist in the Bookmarks Bar drop-down box, but not in the taskbar. This does not apply to all the Bookmarks but several of them.

I clicked on the shortcuts in the Bookmarks Bar and they did not appear.

I returned to the website and I can see the blue star indicating it has been saved, but if I try to 'resave' the address, it still does not appear on my Bookmarks Bar.

Among the ones that won't post are Twitter and Stocktwits.

I also lost the 3 BARS for Settings in the upper right corner.

An orange round circle with an exclamation point magically appeared that makes custom changes to Google Chrome but I can't delete it. How do I get rid of it?

MSFT Edge is replacing Explorer. It seems to be getting a lot of attention lately. I have been using Google Chrome for several years. Is Edge better than Chrome?
    I just wonder what others use.

I am not interested in Firefox or Opera etc...

2. OK, I figured out most of my problems.

I don't know why I lost my bookmarks, but after I posted the question I remembered that I could search the link and drag the address to the Bookmarks Bar and that would give me a shortcut. Same results as saving it.

The orange circle was a Cisco Webex Extension icon. I guess it appeared at the same time as the update. When I denied it permission to update and deleted the Webex, I got my 3 Bars back.

Life is good now.

3. I also had problems with chrome bookmarks after install the creators update. The fix I found on Chrome forums was to uncheck hardware acceleration in advanced settings. fwiw.

DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  4. I searched advanced settings and the hardware accelerator was checked just like you suggested.

I unchecked it to avoid any future problems.

Thanks!