Moving to NewYork, any advice?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by JdhJon, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JdhJon

JdhJon

Hi there,

Me and my girlfriend are moving to the US in august. She has already been offered a job and the subsequent visa application. I don't want to continue the field I am currently in. I have a great salary for not much work but don't feel particularly challenged or motivated. I've been looking into it and feel I would really enjoy trading stocks. I have been doing this part-time for a couple of years now, obviously with my own cash. It’s been a rollercoaster ride and i’ve learned a hell of a lot. I would love to do it full-time and feel with the right training I could grind out a living.

I've had a look at Craigslist and seen that there are many jobs advertised for day-traders. Some adverts however don’t look like they are very trustworthy. I don't have a MA or anything but have a foundation degree in the UK which I think is classed as a Higher Diploma in the states.

I was wondering whether any of you guys could offer some advice for me as I would like to approach some trading firms but would like a steer in the right direction to some of the more reputable ones. Also if anyone has any suggestions on which visa I would most likely be able to get that would be great. Thanks any help would be appreciated!

Jon.

2. IF YOU CAN SWING IT, THERE IS A CAREER FAIR IN NYC TOMORROW FEATURING THE BIG FINANCIAL COMPANIES. YOU ARE UNLIKELY TO GET THIS KIND OF OPPORTUNITY AGAIN. TRADERS IS ON THE LIST THEY ARE LOOKING FOR.

12-6PM MARCH 6 - AT HILTON NEW YORK - 53RD & AVE OF THE AMERICAS

DROP EVERYTHING, HOP ON A PLANE AND GO!!!!!!!

LOOK AT FINANCIALCAREEREXPO.COM

3. What kind of experience do you have trading?

To get a job day trading in NYC, you either have to have connections (daddy knows someone) or have some trading statements to prove your success.

Why not trade from home?

Also, have you looked into the costs of living in NYC? I would suggest you look into commuting from New Jersey.

Maybe your jumping the gun a few things? Give us some more ifo and we can offer a little more help.

4. JdhJon

JdhJon

Hi,

Unfortionatley my daddy doesn't know anyone! I don't have any professional experience at all but i'm positive given the training I have the intelligence to progress. I may well start a little portfolio of trades to try and produce some kind of results. I'll let you know how I get on.

In terms of finance, obviously the £ is alot stronger than the $ currently, so our savings we have will protect us for a while while we're in NYC. We are travelling to NYC in April for a week to try and get some contacts, interviews etc in the hope of getting a training position, does anyone know any decent firms that would maybe be interested in taking a chance?

Jon

5. you're right about those craigslist ads. what i've been trying to do is check out the big firms that have been around for some time - assent, echo, etc. i went to meet with a couple of those firms and i wasn't even asked for a resume. don't know if this is necessarily a good thing....

6. they NEED very very very fresh people. that's why they don't ask you for resumes.

7. JdhJon

JdhJon

Thanks for your help guys and recommendations. What do you mean by they need fresh people. I hope I'm right in thinking this is a legitimate profession to learn. There seems to be an element of 'get rich quick' from some ads. I hope that I can find a company that delivers good training and doesn’t just chuck you in the deep in while you’re paying them commission, could be a very quick trip indeed!!

Jon

8. if you are making good money in the type of work you have been doing in the UK and can do similar work here for even less money

( i.e they pay in $$$ here )

then you will not have to feel "rushed" into making a quick decision on trading or the pressure of "trading for a living"

9. JdhJon

JdhJon

yeah very true and it has crossed my mind. The problem being getting a visa in the first place. I'm pretty sure I need company sponsorship & I think that entails a full-time job. The work I currently do is on a daily basis so I think that would be out of the question.
    I appreciate this is all a big risk but its a risk I'm willing to take for the outcome. I just hope it all goes according to plan! I'll apply for the companys mentioned earlier and see what kind of reaction I get. Thanks everyone!

Jon.

10. I worked in finance in NY for four years. You sound like you are going to get crushed, spat out and jumped on. Manhattan seems like a big fun Disneyland for adults. But, young man, it is filled with some of the smartest, most commercial, and ruthless people you will ever meet. You sound ill-equipped. Unless you have a track record, that is auditable, and/or a first-first-first class education from a school they have heard of and respect, and great communication skills - you will be flipping burgers and living in a five-floor walk up in a dodgy neighbourhood.

#10     Mar 7, 2008