Moving Average Crossover Trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by smallStops, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Now that my years of forced mental/psychological/spiritual "tribulations" are coming to an end , after nearly 4.5 years, it is now time to concentrate fully on trading. Other activities ( seminars on geopolitics have been agreed, but my passion is still trading).

I am seeing so many methods - and I am still to finish one very hard to read book ( just done 10% of it), that I want to check how simple methods work.

So i will be trading moving average crossover ! lol :p
    Something everybody has heard about and believes "does not work".

The benefit of this thread : monitor my discipline in cutting losses short, following a simple plan,
    keeping track of every single trade ( with screenshots), keeping stats of it, and seeing how I enjoy a simple trading strategy like that.

NoDoji likes this.
  2. As a first step, I am obviously going to review a lot of youtube threads on moving averages crossover.
    I will look to the simplest, simplest , simplest strategy I can reduce it to and this is what I will be trading :D .
    This is an excellent exercise in "screen watching" says the coach.

- what is the simplest simplest simplest strategy out there ? :mad:
    - heu heu heu ; moving average crossover. but it does not work :(
    - OK so you have to make such a strategy work :cool:

3. I really want to get something really simple and idiot proof and super lazy way of trading. :)
    The only problem is that this is certainly going to be a super boring way of trading.

let's see how they complicate things.

4. Redneck

Redneck

More ways to trade successfully than I care to count

There are PA environments where a MA crossover approach will suffer… there are also PA environments where a MA crossover approach will excel

Become proficient at differentiating the two

Then

Pick your instrument

Learn how your instrument "typically" moves

Pick your TTF

Pick a setting(s) for the MA(s) – knowing no one setting will always capture every move – and jumping back of forth between settings will kill your account

Create your plan…, approach / methodology

Add anything else you deem necessary

====================

Now.., for the fun part.., many would rather forgo

Master – taking every signal…, controlling every loser.., allowing every winner to run

=========================

As with most things trading related – relatively simply..., yet in no way easy

My thoughts;

Trading is only idiot proof… once the trader no longer acts an idiot

Mkt does not suffer idiots..., or lazy traders

Finally; It'll be exactly as boring.., and..., simple / complicated - as you make it

RN

5. bone

bone

Don't be afraid to simultaneously put up different MA crossover charts on the same product - each with different timeframes ( 5, 15 , 60 , 360 minute etc) - it might just open up new vistas for you ! You're on the right track and keep up the good work and perseverance. You'll also find RN's past posts to be quality information, btw.

I am personally a big proponent of multiple timeframes.

6. moonmist

moonmist

Hi,

One of the most popular moving average crossover methods is the floor trader method 9/18 EMA, and it variants:

http://www.trading-naked.com/FloorTraderMethod.htm

http://www.trading-naked.com/FloorTraderMethodExamples.htm

Since it is a trend-following method, an indicator for trend confirmation may be needed. In the following example, I believe that Handle123 used MACD:

http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index.php?threads/new-trader-in-japan.131917/#post-1997999

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. redbox

redbox

Take a look at the three ducks in a row system.

8. K-Rock

K-Rock

9. fxwannaB

fxwannaB

geee.png

10. Redneck

Redneck

Me too...

Too often overlooked - and least understood - tool we have imo

RN

#10     Sep 21, 2014