Move from CA to TX

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by niko79542, Oct 14, 2020.

1. niko79542

niko79542

I'm sure its been beaten to death, but my lease is coming up in SF, I'm thinking about moving to Austin. CA tax for me is $90k this year, and I don't see any reason to suspect that bill will be lower next year.

I also feel at home where I am now and don't want to be a slave to my money. Very conflicted. Anyone ever thought about moving to a low income tax state?

2. zdreg

zdreg

Relocate for a month as a trial period or wait for Mr. Market to solve your financial dilemma.

niko79542 likes this.
  3. R1234

R1234

In the past when my business was running on all cylinders I was routinely paying close to 6 figures in NY state income tax. Now that my business has been in decline its funny how motivations change. I don't really mind living in a nanny state as I get closer to retirement.

niko79542 likes this.
  4. niko79542

niko79542

Honestly leaning towards the same thing.

5. Handle123

Handle123

I went from Chicago to West Texas long ago, Texas has no state income tax. Do have higher real estate taxes, have to get somehow. Austin has extra tax for living in the city I believe, traffic is so bad around Austin. But many moving into new silicon valley.

smallfil and niko79542 like this.
  6. ajacobson

ajacobson

Markets are pretty much efficient. Schwab relocated much of its senior staff to Austin from San Francisco and the attrition was a multiple of what they expected. Dimensional Fund did the same move- actually from Santa Monica - and saved millions and almost all of the staff joined the move, with the exception of many the most senior executives. Money means a lot less the more you have.

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I left NJ for Florida about 9 years ago. Best move I ever made.

smallfil likes this.
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

After I moved from NC to FL, I remember wondering why anyone would live in a state with income tax if they could move to a state with better weather and no income tax. Needless to say, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

niko79542 and smallfil like this.
  9. Trader200K

Trader200K

Couldn't agree more. We moved 13 yr ago to a zero income tax state, BUT only after making sure we had the 'people and policy' match as well. Double Eagle.

Best to live where your mind and money fits in ... urban or exurban.

niko79542 likes this.
  10. Ghappy21

Ghappy21

About 3 years ago, I moved from San Ramon, CA to Plano, TX. I wish I had made the moved decades ago. Life doesn't need to be so hard (as in California). I like to hike, so the only negative is missing the natural beauty of California. I am planning a move to TN. No taxes and natural beauty.

#10     Apr 13, 2021