Most Popular New Threads on ET Last Week

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by tdc, Jun 7, 2020.

1. tdc

tdc

I am receiving this weekly email for years now and for as long as I can remember the links in the email are relative instead of fully qualified.

Example; in the email I received on June 6th the href for the top link is:
    threads/how-is-retail-day-trading-anything-but-a-gamble.345731

Which my browser resolves to:
    http://threads.com/how-is-retail-day-trading-anything-but-a-gamble.345731

That location obviously doesn't exist - obviously.

Occasionally I manually prefix the link, and I keep expecting this to be fixed. But it seems that nobody tracks the effectiveness of these emails.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

This is the first time I've heard of this problem. What email client or service are you using for your incoming email?

3. maxinger

maxinger

Strange ... I don't receive such email

4. tdc

tdc

I use Fastmail and their web-based client for mail.

Looking closer at the message sent by EliteTrader. It has two sections and the 2nd one is rendered by the email client. The section has a <header> that defines <base href=3D"https://www.elitetrader.com/et//" />

It seems this <base> tag is being ignored. Which is understandable for a web-based client; the renderer would have to qualify all relative href's in the mail for this to work.

I wonder how or if Gmail handles this. I forwarded the email to my work email but the Gmail client didn't correct the links either.

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Yeah, but that's the whole point of using a base tag. So you don't have to repeat the domain portion of the URL for every single link. If fastmail is ignoring the base tag, that's a bug on their end.

I use Gmail and there's never been a problem with it nor has anyone else ever reported that issue. I'm sure if you updated your account here with your Gmail address, the weekly digest email would arrive on Saturdays as usual with no URL problems.

6. tdc

tdc

I'm happy with Fastmail and don't want to use my work email for private communication.

It seems you're happy with the engagement you get from the emails and I'm certainly not the most active contributor to your website. :) Just wanted to highlight the issue. I'll raise it with Fastmail but it seems that the best way forward for me is to unsubscribe for now.

7. tdc

tdc

Just a quick update...

I raised an issue with Fastmail yesterday evening, and it's already fixed this morning. So I can re-subscribe again. :)

Baron likes this.