More billionaires went to Harvard than to Stanford, MIT and Yale combined

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Jun 5, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

More billionaires went to Harvard than to Stanford, MIT and Yale combined
    Published Fri, May 18 2018 11:49 AM EDTUpdated Fri, May 18 2018 1:14 PM EDT

Kathleen Elkins @KATHLEEN_ELK

[​IMG]
    0:50
    Colleges where students go on to earn the most money
    We’ve all heard about college dropouts who became billionaires. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Michael Dell all left college without a diploma only to succeed wildly. But the majority of the world’s wealthiest people have a bachelor’s degree.

And, according to The Wealth-X Billionaire Census 2018, they tend to have graduated from the most prestigious universities.

“The social elitism, prestige and fast-track career progression often associated with a private Ivy League education undoubtedly provides a springboard towards wealth creation and for some high achievers to attain billionaire status: Five of the top seven-ranked billionaire universities are Ivy League schools,” Wealth-X reports.

Leading the way is Harvard, the alma mater of 188 billionaires in 2017. Harvard grads — those who earned an undergraduate or graduate degree — represent 6.8 percent of the global billionaire population. In fact, more billionaires attended the school than attended Stanford, MIT and Yale combined.

While No. 2 ranked Stanford has less than half the number of billionaire grads than Harvard, “the average net worth of Stanford’s billionaire population is the highest,” Wealth-X reports, adding that its high ranking “owes much to its location in the heart of Silicon Valley and its close integration with the global tech giants.”

[​IMG]
    1:00
    This is what college graduates need to hear
    It’s worth noting that many students attending elite schools like these start out rich. For example, 15 percent of studentswho attend Harvard come from the top 1 percent and 17 percent of students who go to Stanford do.

Read on to see the world’s other top “billionaire universities,” which all happen to be in America.

10. University of California, Berkeley
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 25

9. University of Michigan
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 26

8. University of Chicago (TIE)
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 29

8. University of Southern California (TIE)
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 29

7. Yale University
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 31

6. Cornell University
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 35

5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 38

4. Columbia University
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 53

3. University of Pennsylvania
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 64

2. Stanford University
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 74

1. Harvard University
    Degrees awarded to today’s billionaires: 188

2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

and more of them were millionaires that went to those schools to begin with, so what?

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. dozu888

dozu888

4. destriero

destriero

How many started out with family money in the 9-10 figures?

Overnight likes this.
  5. Doobs789

Doobs789

How many degrees were awarded to students from wealthy families that dropped out, or didn't earn more than their parents?

6. RRY16

RRY16

Deduct one from Penn, you know who is worth less then a Bill, plus papa grubbed him.

7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Prob not any more than at Yale or Stanford or any other college on that list.

My alma mater is on that list and there was only like two Forbes400 kids there.

8. dozu888

dozu888

wut

9. Sig

Sig

Also I think it would be tough to be a moron who got in on your parents laurels at any of those schools based on my experience at one of them and what I know of the others. The professors all have tenure and a good chunk of them would like nothing more than to prove the point that they're not beholden to legacy admits if anyone tried to force them to provide special favors and the other students wouldn't do them any favors, to put it lightly.

10. destriero

destriero

Mine as well and I don't recall any Pritzker kids attending. Anyway, it doesn't typically come up in convo. I went to Choate and knew two kids with three commas. Both went to H.

#10     Jun 5, 2019