Markets Now: Here We Go Again

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Mar 15, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Barron's

Markets Now: Here We Go Again
    By
    Ben Levisohn
    Updated March 15, 2018 2:19 p.m. ET
    The Dow Jones Industrial Average was sitting pretty at the end of January. And then it wasn't, as a correction hit. Since then it's gone up and down and up again, and the wild swings don't seem likely to end any time soon. With that in mind, we're keeping a semi-live look on the volatile markets. Here's the latest from Barron's reporters...

[​IMG]
    ILLUSTRATION:BLOOMBERG NEWS
    2:15 p.m. News has just broken that Robert Mueller hassubpoenaed the Trump Organizationto turn over documents, including some related to Russia, as part of its ongoing investigation, according to anonymous sources close to the case.The Dow Jones Industrial Averageis still in positive territory, up 0.4% to 24,845.85, but theS&P 500is down 0.1% to 2,746.76, and theNasdaqis falling 0.3% to 7,475.27.

1:59 p.m.Remember when I said no givebacks? Well, I was wrong, wasn't I? TheS&P 500has fallen 0.2% to 2744.36, while theNasdaq Compositehas dropped 0.4% to 7469.92. TheDow Jones Industrial Averagehas advanced 79.24 points, or 0.3%, to 24,837.36. It would be the fourth time this week that the S&P 500 has opened up only to finish down.

What's got into the market today? It's hard to say, thoughBloombergblames a tax ruling that has hit MLPs(more on that later). We just think it's a bad week to be long stocks. We'll see you at the close.

12:03 p.m.No givebacks today, at least not yet. TheS&P 500has risen 0.2% to 2756.07, while theDow Jones Industrial Averagehas gained 240.51 points, or 1%, to 24,998.63. TheNasdaq Compositehas ticked up 0.1% to 7507.37.

You might have noticed that unlike the past few days, when the Dow lagged the other indexes, the blue-chip benchmark is the one that's produced the outsized gains.Boeing(BA)was a big part of the Dow's underperformancethis week, it's not the only reason for its rise today, not even the main one.

Boeing has advanced 1.37 points, or 0.4%, to 331.63--a rise that's been responsible just for 9.67 Dow points, making it the 11th biggest contributor. It's lagged well behindUnitedHealth Group(UNH), which has gained 2.3% to $230.47 and is responsible for 35.29 points of the Dow's gain, andGoldman Sachs(GS), which has risen 1.6% to $268.42 and is responsible for 27.9 Dow points.

In fact, 27 of the 30 Dow stocks are in the green today, suggesting that investors are loading up on some of the market's biggest names.

7:48:a.m.For the fourth time this week, the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average look set to open higher. That hasn't meant much, however, over the last three days, as both indexes have managed to turn their early gains into losses.

S&P 500futures have ticked up 0.1%, whileDow Jones Industrial Averagefutures have risen 56 points, or 0.2%.Nasdaq Compositefutures are little changed.

The mood, however, is decidedly downbeat. Whilethe Senate voted to roll back banking regulationslast night, theFinancial Select Sector SPDR ETF(XLF) has traded off 0.1% to $28.96 in pre-open trading, as the market already knew this would happen. TheTechnology Select Sector SPDR ETF(XLK), meanwhile, is unchanged at $69.86 despite reports that the European Union ispreparing a new digital taxthat would force tech companies likeAlphabet(GOOGL)Facebook(FB) andApple(AAPL) to pay a 3% tax on revenue. The three stocks are down slightly in pre-open trading.

But those seem like ancillary worries compared tothe signals being sent by the bond market. After flirting with 3% a month ago, the 10-year yield is trading down 0.004 percentage point this morning at 2.81%. The difference between the two-year and 10-year Treasuries was recently just 0.55 percentage point, the narrowest since January, writesBleakley Advisory Group's Peter Boockvar, who blames "sticky inflation prints"--I'm guessing he means that inflation has been consistent rather than rising rapidly--and the fact thatfirst-quarter gross domestic product could come in below 2%even as the Federal Reserve hikes interest rates. When the gap between the two turns negative, that would signal a likely recession.

Expect the stock market to pay close attention to this morning's jobless claims reading, and the Empire manufacturing and Philly Fed surveys, and how Treasuries respond.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ma...-but-that-hasnt-mattered-this-week-1521115496

fordewind likes this.
  2. ET180

ET180

Sounds like we need more tariffs on European goods. Are there any European tech companies (outside of automotive / industrial)? Must be. Just can't think of one off the top of my head. Maybe Sennheiser counts...makers of great headphones.

3. %%
    That could work well , if everybody starts liking taxes[tariffs]. I dont+ i think they wont.:cool:The Japenese had a good idea on tariffs[taxes on alien goods], avoid paying them by building in USA