Market cap info on major sites often not accurate. Why?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by teun, Jul 9, 2008.

1. teun

teun

I now and then execute trades based on the market cap of a company.

But for at least 1 company (IBKR) I know the market cap should be 10 times the number which is displayed on several major sites:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ibkr

According to Yahoo the MC of IBKR is $1b while it should be around $10b (I think the $1b is only the free float). This mistake is already there since IBKR began trading (more than a year ago).

With other shares you see often that the MC stays the same while they have issued new shares (for instance AMD).

Does someone know why this number is so often incorrect and where I can find good data?

2. teun

teun

3. It is a little bizarre that Yahoo Finance shows the P/E ratio for IBKR at 2.36 as of today at $32.12.

4. Yahoo Finance is notoriously inaccurate. You can't trust anything on the Stat page. Float, short interest, shares outstanding etc are only randomly correct.

5. I've noticed data inconsistencies like this as well. I've used float in my filtering in the past and saw widely variations among the various free and paid sources.

6. This is one area that the SEC should be regulating.

Either these publishers have disclaimer like the information you are reading is bullshit. don't publis b.s. financials of public listed companies.

it's close to FRAUD as far as i'm concern.

these bogus financials are to mislead the retail investors/traders.

so much bullshit i can't trust or get simple 'market cap information' on a public listed company.

if the company is 10 billion it's 10x overpriced for a two bit broker.

7. The business press in not part of the Securities Industry...
    And, therefore, not regulated in any way.

If you think free data is error-checked and accurate...
    Then you have a lot to learn about life.

Want quality data? Then pay for it.

All you guys running TA charting on garbage free data... are completely nuts.
    Not only is TA worthless... you're running it on bad data.

8. you can go to prison and get arrested by the SEC for posting bullshit in some yahoo message board.

either the information is accurate or don't publish it all.

9. Technical analysis works for me.

the data is fake and bullshit too.

All you guys running TA charting on garbage free data... are completely nuts.
    Not only is TA worthless... you're running it on bad data. [/B][/QUOTE]

10. Use Bloomberg.com

Very accurate data.

#10     Jul 17, 2008