marginable stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by zdreg, Jul 17, 2019.

1. zdreg

zdreg

Are there any stocks that trade on the nyse or nasdaq which are non -marginable?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Any stock under $3 to start.

3. zdreg

zdreg

re: stocks under $3
    Not true. e.g. you can short stocks under $3. they may have a maintenance requirement of 100% which is not the same thing as being non-marginable. The difference is non-marginable affects settled cash to trade. 100% maintenance affects day trading power.

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Wow- my answer was correct. You did not ask if you could short a stock or get a locate you asked if it was Marginable. Stocks under$3 have a 100% requirement and have no loan value.

5. zdreg

zdreg

If you day trade a low price stock which is non marginable you have to meet a 2 day settlement requirement even if you close it the same day. if it has a 100% maintenance requirement and buy and close the same day your day trading buying power is affected only by the profit or loss .

(I am familiar that locates can be attempted on any stock at all price levels)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I guess you don’t need my help because you have all the facts.

Cheers.

7. zdreg

zdreg

If you wish to differ on the difference between 100% maintenance and non-marginable, expand on it.

Cheers.

8. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

Non-marginable stocks are typically shortable. Whether or not a security is non-marginable is determined by whether or not you can use margin (leverage) to purchase it. At least that's my understanding of the terminology. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    [​IMG]

9. zdreg

zdreg

non-marginable stocks are typically not shortable because locates are difficult to find.

10. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

That's true. What I meant was that you're typically allowed to short non-marginable stocks assuming your broker has access to the shares. Most brokers won't let you short stocks on the threshold list though.

#10     Jul 17, 2019