Making over 100,000 day trading?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Dream, May 11, 2008.

1. Dream

Dream

I seen from a SEC stats that over 25% of trader makes over 200,000 and over 25% of trader makes over 100,000. I wonder does that include proprietary day trader.
    What are the chances of a day trader making over $100,000 or 200,000? Is it a impossible dream?

2. I'd love to see those statistics, show us the link.

I think a more accurate statistic is that 90% of traders LOSE money!

3. Surdo

Surdo

4. I think the average good trader can make about 0.5% to 1% a day. So for you (if you manage risk properly) to make 100,000/day you need to be able to safely trade $10,000,000 million/day.

If you go retail, you will need about $1,500,000 million capital to get portfolio level leverage (I think6:1). If you go prop and you are lucky to get at least 20:1, then you will need about $500,000.

So yes, I think you can make 100k/day with that type of leverage @ 1% day ...

5. wenzi

wenzi

I think he meant $100,000 a year, not per day.

6. Cutten

Cutten

It's definitely possible to fairly consistently make 6 figures per annum trading intraday. Whether the typical beginning trader will ever reach that is another matter. But it *is* possible - I've done it myself for years, albeit with the occasional dry spell.

7. Dream

Dream

"It's definitely possible to fairly consistently make 6 figures per annum trading intraday. Whether the typical beginning trader will ever reach that is another matter. But it *is* possible - I've done it myself for years, albeit with the occasional dry spell."

Hi Cutten,

How long have you been day trading before you reach six figures? Do you have to do a lot of trades?

8. opps..... I still think you can make it per day :)

9. It is all matter of percentage ... on how much capital you have to trade.

For example, if you use the same percentages, and your strategies/risk works well, at 1% per day avg you probably need about $150,000-$300,000 to invest ... that would be about $1,500+/- per day .... in theory you can start making 6 figures from the first month you start ...

It all depends on how much you start with and how good of a trader are you ...

#10     May 11, 2008