Making 1/2 as Much: Pay cuts more frequent than at any time since Great Depression.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Same old problem, woman and money, :D

#11     Oct 17, 2009
  2. Great post BLSH.

I'm way past tired of passing judgment on these situations, all I've got to say is, people had better start adapting to the "New Economy" or die/do drugs/be an alcoholic.

It really puts things in perspective when you read that GS is giving out bonuses starting at low six-figures (for the admin assistants) and ending in the billion dollar range ... for every single one of their employees.

#12     Oct 17, 2009
  3. kashking

kashking

Agreed. That's a large reason why I have so much more money than my friends.

#13     Oct 17, 2009
  4. Same goes with self-employed.

#14     Oct 17, 2009
  5. jprad

jprad

Thankfully, the movie ruined that show for good.

But, the real threat to any American man is if his prospective SO likes Oprah.

Or worse, there's a delayed deployment until after you're entrenched for 10 years.

In some states, a divorce after 10 years of marriage entitles them to half your pension, retirement, SS benefits, etc.

Renting is better then buying doesn't just apply to houses and cars...

#15     Oct 17, 2009
  6. leela

leela

I read the story. It looks like this pilot's family has screwed up values. They are afraid that their children will be disappointed with fewer X'mas presents. Is presents what kids really about these days?

The kids ought to know they still have a home, food and parents who care. They are extremely fortunate!

It is time to be honest with the children. The wife and kids need to understand that no matter what one's position in life, hard times can come unexpectedly.

#16     Oct 17, 2009
  7. I hear you! LMAO! :D :D :D :D

#17     Oct 17, 2009
  8. number22

10-17-09 10:24 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from leela:

It sucks to work as a 1099 contract worker.

Obama has doubled the time the unemployed may collect unemployment benefits. The 1099 contract worker gets no help.

We fell thru the cracks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same goes with self-employed.

Just for a point of reference.

When I was a 1099/self employed, I leased myself through a staffing/payroll co back to my own company and became eligible for unemployement. Sounds convoluted but it is legit and qualify.

#18     Oct 17, 2009
  9. MattF

MattF

^^^interesting.

I say this right now as an IC/1099'er.

Actually, my projected gross pay right now is almost what this guy makes...and I only work based on deadlines! lol

Not looking to shaft, but if there's anything to glean as extra out of that and it's legit...heck, why not! :p

#19     Oct 18, 2009
  10. MattF

MattF

I can't comment on this guy's overall schedule, but if the RIP and possible hours(?) or the more flexibility of being at home gives him some more free time, why not try and pick up some odd jobs that could make a bit of extra cash?

Won't replace the loss probably unless he learns a new skill, but sure beats sitting around and feeling stressed/sorry for yourself :)

#20     Oct 18, 2009