Home > General Topics > Trading > Looking to relocate. But to where?

Looking to relocate. But to where?

1. The kids are growing up and I'm seeing less and less reason to live where I live (outside of Boston, in one of the most expensive zip codes on earth.) So I'm looking to relocate to someplace that imposes less of an overhead.

Factors to consider...

1) low cost of living
    2) high quality of life
    3) reliable internet infrastructure
    4) time zone no "worse" than central time, USA (rules out anything west of GMT -5:00)
    5) not hot (I'm a New Englander)

I'm intrigued by Latin America (highlands, obviously, for temperature's sake) and Eastern Europe (culture, time zone).

Any thoughts? Anyone?

2. Stay where u are,imho

3. I've spent most of my life here. It's enough.

4. Lol.

5. Stay away from latin america...

6. My fiance is from Czech Republic and I have spent some time there. The weather is not quite to my liking as I prefer warmer weather but the country is beautiful and not too expensive.

If at some point you seriously consider moving there, a good friend of mine has a brother living in Prague (he is American) and I could hook you up with him for a chat.

7. Why not coastal Maine? That should fulfill all your requirements. Maybe the Portland/Bath area?

8. Many thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM.

I've been wondering about the Czech Republic...I've had a bias toward Austria as a I speak a little German, have friends in Vienna. But Czech Republic is intriguing. I worry about the language barrier. My Russian is rusty and I'm not sure how difficult it will be for me to learn Czech.

9. Too remote. Transportation options limited. I'd end up driving to Boston for my culture fix, and then what's the point? It's like a really remote suburb...

10. Can you elaborate on

11. Ahh, you didn't mention that in your pre-requisites. Culture fix? How about Suffolk county on the Island? Only an hour train ride to the city.

12. Lived a couple of years there... Lovely city... Very peaceful place to live... Great Airport... Access to whole Europe and the US easily...
    If you don't mind a heavy dose of communism, it's a great choice...

Und die deutsche Sprache ist nicht so schwierig zu lernen... Ich habe selbst in einem Jahr sie gelernt.. Und meine Muttersprache ist Portugiesisch, deswegen wird es wahrscheinlich leichter für dich...;)

13. Good point.

I would say, in no particular order
    -- vibrant ex-pat community
    -- active cultural life (although I have considered Costa Rica, which appeals to the hiker in me)
    -- competent medical facilities
    -- reliable infrastructure
    -- overall value (which eliminates London, for example)

I should add that my tax load in Massachusetts is substantial. That's also a factor.

14. Gut zu wissen

15. Cuenca, Ecuador (near the equator, but high-altitude, and hence constant, pleasant, warm temperature) ... also full of US ex-pats (is that good, or bad?) ...

https://www.baconismagic.ca/ecuador/colonial-cuenca/
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2016/01/29/cuenca-ecuador/79451984/
    https://gringosabroad.com/cuenca-ecuador/
    http://www.ecuadorexplorer.com/html/cuenca.html
    https://internationalliving.com/top-5-reasons-why-you-should-retire-to-cuenca-ecuador/
    https://vivatropical.com/ecuador/cuenca/

16. Check here:
    https://www.internationalliving-magazine.com/best-places-in-the-world-to-retire.html

17. ditto europe , especially eastern... ditto asia...

many people there would give an arm to switch their place with OP , and for the reason

there is no better place in the world than the america .. but not for the americans, he-he

considering that OP has grown up kids, then there grand-kids god-willing will be here soon... and you stay lonely in some shithole warsaw away from the family...

on top of that medicine... for a person after 50 that becomes an issue .. what a hell is there in costa rica if emergency will happen....

culture? fuck their culture... here i walk the street and unknown people say hi to me.... all over the world i see rude and in-considered people as a norm...they are good people but that's their culture

service? in italy, in restaurants which considered good, they did not even pour wine in the glass... some service

18. Nothing makes you appreciate home like some time away...

19. consider phi phi don

20. Colombia is great, I love it here. Ecuador is popular for US retirees because they use the US dollar and the threshold for a retirement visa is low. As Xela said, Cuenca, Ecuador.

But if you want class, Medellin.

21. That said, I do know a couple of traders in Latin America--one in Ecuador, one in Colombia--who are happy as clams.

22. I'm intrigued by Medellin but my exposure to it is limited to the Netflix show "Narcos." I gather things have changed in the last 25 years?

23. Yep... I wouldn't give an arm for it... But I'm also pretty sure I can do it with not so dramatic measures, even if it takes some time to do it...:D

Even if I liked my time in Europe, I'd still rather be in a place where I can simply buy a gun and have lots of people always suspicious of government(regardless of party)... In that sense(and MANY OTHER SENSES), there is indeed no place like america...:sneaky:

24. It is totally different now (safe). I have never watched Narcos on purpose as Escobar is long long dead and nobody wants to think about him anymore here. If it is the show I think, they could not even get a Colombian to play him.

Only PITA for some is flights are routed through Miami usually. You might get more direct flights from Quito, I am not sure.

I like the mountains and an ideal climate rather than running between aircon buildings like Panama City etc.

25. Crete Greece, even some of the smaller island not Athens tho.

Cheap, safe, great weather and food, I don't think I ever had any more fun anywhere else in the world

26. Latin America is a nest of Fidel Castro worshipers(Rafael Correa from Ecuador is a great example of this)... Stay away from it... I live in the biggest country from latin america: Brazil... And it's always the same thing: corruption, everybody expects to live at the expense of others, ignorance all around, crime... Not worth it... A few decades ago you could try Chile(even though I wouldn't), but now it`s just another communist shithole...

27. Don't listen to naysayers.

Visit a few places, see how you like the feel and you will make something work.

28. Sounds like you haven't traveled that much outside of US. Been around the US and don't get me wrong, it has it's charm and the sense of freedom in the air is intriguing but with the relatively high taxes, high crime and ridiculously expensive healthcare - it's not that attractive.

Many decades ago people in Eastern Europe dreamed of America but nowadays it's just the poor Ukrainians and Moldovans who would give an arm and a leg to go to the US. This is simply because Western Europe and the Nordics are a much more of an attractive offer in almost every aspect.

Always saying "hi" to strangers is not the norm because it's considered a waste of time and fake politeness. If I'm going to see a person only once, what's the purpose of that gesture? I mean, I greet my neighbors and people I have talked with but that's about it.
    My father who is fairly sociable had an interesting view on it. He was sitting in front of his hotel room on a Greek island just minding his business, an American guy comes around, sits down and starts talking to him out of nowhere. While he probably was polite, he said afterwards "why the hell does he think I'm interested in talking with him, I was just enjoying the moment in silence, alone". I tend to agree with him, don't assume everyone wants to interact with you, you're not that interesting.

29. If you care about manners and service then Japan is the winner without a doubt. Tokyo was recently named "safest city in the world". I enjoyed living in Japan and I plan to return soon.

30. i love greek islands, but wouldn't say the weather is nice outside of summer. second great food and girls. consider corfu where the girls are crazy

31. Crete stays warm for most part of the year, your not far from Africa.

This is where is spend my summers, I would pick up a small 20foot fishing boat and just live there later on.

32. i lived all over the world, and i came to this country as a refugee ... how that sounds to you?

but as they say "Every cook praises his own broth.", so to each its own...

to the OP:

The Devil once invited the guy to Hell. The guy liked it there: a lot of booze, a lot of willing nice girls, a lot of fun.. So the guy said yea, nice, i am willing to relocate.

Upon the relocation the guys discovers himself in a big pool of shit in which plenty of people struggle to make afloat...

The guy decried to Devil: "What a hell , it was so nice and now this?"

"Well, said Devil - one should not confuse tourism with immigration !"

Good luck.

33. I lived in Tokyo for three years. Remarkable place.

34. Go see your travel agent and you can be more specific along with getting better advice.

If not, find a magazine (lots out there) that specifically ranks locations via most of the categories you've mentioned along with other categories you should have considered. Next, go to the library or bookstore and read up on a few of the locations you've discovered from your travel agent or recommended cities in a magazine.

After that, take some vacation time and then visit those selected locations including getting the websites for the cities internet providers to learn more about the services they offer.

Get the ok from your family and then go for it.

wrbtrader

35. It is a remarkable place. I am currently researching Cebu in the Philippines, the low cost is very attractive. Japan is not exactly cheap and I would like a few countries to have in rotation beyond just Japan.

36. What keeps you in Brazil?

37. If people become too patriotic they lose their objectivity. We see this in two countries that are the complete opposite of each other but have the same lack of objectivity: USA and USSR. They both think they are the greatest and the rest of the world is sh**.

38. At the time, personal and family reasons... Nothing to be discussed in a public forum...:)

39. I vote for Orlando. It meets all of your criteria, but here's some other benefits as well:

1. Direct flights to/from pretty much anywhere.
    2. No state income tax. Tourism revenue makes that possible.
    3. Close proximity to two completely different beach experiences within an hour and a half drive, Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, and both have excellent fishing and boating excursions.
    4. A ridiculous number of excellent restaurants and entertainment options.
    5. If you become a grandparent, your kids will bring the the grandkids to visit you because of all the theme park options.
    6. A golfer's paradise if you're into that.

40. Baron are you in Orlando or the Winter Park area?

41. I can't believe that the obvious choice has not been picked already as the clear winner:
    http://cometotoronto.com/

(Personally, I'd choose Halifax -- my need for "culture" can be contained/salved by The Interweb. But away from the coast of Maine, you'd have pretty much any town on U.S. 2. -- all the way west to Ashland, Wisconsin/Duluth, Mn....... But that's jus' me.)

42. Checkout Florida, many NY firms have offices in West Palm Beach and Boca Raton. Stay away from Ocean and intracoastal homes, they can be expensive but that's relative. Compared to NY or LA, it's still cheap.
    A few miles inland the prices drop 75% or more if you shop wisely.

43. No way, and trade under canadian restrictions. The cost of housing is $1000+ sqft for a third tier city. Deal with currency exchange, 6 months winter and traffic. Everyone I know in TO has a florida winter home and a cottage to get away from the city.

44. I am in Southwest Orlando. The primary suburbs where I live are Windermere and Dr. Phillips.

45. I love Toronto, but it's even more expensive than Boston...and it's full of Canadians who voted for crying boy.

46. Even the suburbs over there are educated to postgraduate level? It does sound upmarket ... :)

47. Live in a Seattle boathouse, -- I'd love to live in one of these, but I don't know how to swim.
    It would seem weird or dangerous or hypocritical to live in a boathouse...only to accidentally die from drowning/slipping.
    [​IMG]
    Make Trading Great Again 2018...High-Five`

48. I've been all over Cebu, it's a fairly big island. Cebu city is quite crappy and very polluted, only useful for obtaining imported goods. Souther part of the island is amazingly beautiful and filled with a lot of foreigners (mostly German, French). The problem is that Cebu city is 2-3 hours away, so frequent trips for say, food, are out of the question. There aren't any other cities around either.

Lived in Japan and found out it's definitely not for me. I loved Japan as a tourist, as an almost-immigrant, I got very dark and depressive vibes. It's very modern but you definitely need to learn Japanese and if you want to own a car and a nice house, it gets very expensive. I lived in an apartment the size of an American clothes cabinet so it was not too horrible, price wise.

Being born in the USSR myself, I wouldn't lump all the countries that were part of it together. I suppose you meant Russia, tongue-in-cheek. I find Russians and Americans to be very similar in most ways, both on average are very patriotic; both have very intelligent, rich, power hungry and ruthless elites and a huge amount of uneducated trash...and that's why they don't get along.

49. My apato was not that small and it was not super expensive (a little over $1000 USD per month). I wasn't out in the sticks, I was in northern Tokyo.
    I don't want to be anywhere near Mindanao. I would rather be North in Cebu. I was considering Davao but recent stories like this are troubling https://www.rappler.com/nation/190355-davao-children-dead-playing-grenade

50. Correct. I know the difference very well as I did business in Poland, East Germany, Czech Republic and Ukraine, before and after the USSR crashed and fell apart.
    Didn't pay attention about it that USSR is/was much more than Russia when I posted.

51. You did not list any time zone limitations east of central time, so I will assume that you want to stay roughly close to the USA east coast time for trading purposes. That rules out all of Europe, Asia and Australia, unless you want to be trading in the middle of the night.

In the USA, I would consider San Diego, it fits all your criteria, except for the Time Zone. Best weather in the USA.

In Latin America, San Jose, Costa Rica would be a great choice. Best weather in the western hemisphere (average temperature in summer 68 degrees, average in winter 63 degrees), low crime rate, decent medical facilities (2nd longest life span in the western hemisphere after Canada), and one of the few countries in Latin America where you won't have any problems finding people who can speak English.

52. Thanks for posting this, apartment costs and internet connection quality?

53. You forgot about "5) not hot (I'm a New Englander)".

Orlando in the summer doesn't fit that bill! Although there is something to be said about acclimation, it is also double-edged. Yeah, you "get used to it", but it is weird when in the summer, the inside of the home drops below 80 with the AC and it feels cold.

54. Get a room @ Hotel Del Rey, you will never leave.

55. Once you leave the USA mainland you will probably find you have no desire to ever go back - other than maybe enduring a long overdue visit every blue moon.

From my experience in Latin America you really need to be very proficient with the language to live there - even than you will always be the weird outsider and will end up with a nickname you don't like - mine was "the to much gear guy" and I was on foot with just a few things I brought into town like a lap-top and extra pair of shoes.

56. Lived in Orlando years ago.
    Pinehills, College Park and one neighborhood near the airport, can't remember the name. One night we woke up to what sounded like the end of the world. It was all the B52's taking off full power from McCoy, we were like a mile from the runway. They were closing it down.

57. Anything east of Chicago time is a fair game. Europe’s time zone is extremely attractive.

I’m intrigued by Costa Rica, but i’ve heard mixed reviews about internet reliability.

58. To me, hot is somewhere like Vegas or Arizona in the summer. The average 92 degree day in Orlando is nothing compared to those places.

59. There are advantages trading on Pacific time, one of them is the market ends at 1:00 pm, so you have plenty of time for other activities.

60. Lived in LA for a decade. The 1p cutoff is nice, but getting up for the pre-market is not.

61. Just a thought, but why would you rule out a whole half of the country over a time zone or two. Your weather requirements rule out any culture in CST other than Chicago. One time zone over, you've got Denver which fits the bill for everything you listed, and is about the cheapest place to fly from to anywhere else in the nation.

Never mind a whole coast of great places like San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle...

I'll take 100 in Phoenix or Las Vegas any day over 78 in Orlando. Humidity sucks.

62. Anyone trading from a sailboat while in various ports when blue water cruising? That has always appealed to me but have done very little of it myself, only as a crew member on a friends boat. Cruise the world from one exotic destination to the next, sounds like an epic adventure - with swing trading it could work out.

63. It’s just my clock, I guess. When I lived in LA, I found that getting up at 3:30a so that i’m prepped and ready for the 6:30a open was not my cup of tea. Invariably, it started cutting into my sleep time and I need my eight full hours.

Now if I were 24 and working full time, that might be ideal. But I’m not.

Besides, I need to set some parameters, otherwise I’m looking at the whole planet. For me, sleep is important. That’s why I’m looking at the band between -5 GMT and, say, +2 GMT.

64. Lake Atitlan - Guatemala. Alpine lake with fruit trees, fantastic views and weather, tons of Americans & Canadians, close to USA.

65. You generally get what you pay for;
    I wouldn't want to live, or advise anyone to live, in Central or South America. -- it's filled with Mexicans,
    [​IMG]

Live in the USA only. because White...is right.
    [​IMG]

66. There's a certain irony that freed from the constraints of living where you must because of kids, you now must live where you must of your job (that one of the key benefits of is not having to live where you must for the job). :)

What preparation do you have to do before the market opens? (just asking rhetorically). And is there a reason you couldn't hit your morning session in pajamas, and then get ready for your day during "lunch", then back for the last two hours with a whole day left from 1pm?

And why not just travel around aimlessly and without an itinerary? Take flights / buses / whatever on Saturdays so you have a whole Sunday to settle down and figure out internet and familiarize yourself with the place. Repeat as necessary when you get bored of a place, until you don't. You can still trade while you're basically vacationing for a living. I've considered renting out my place, quitting my day job, and doing exactly this.

(Also, ignore the people telling you not to go places they're too scared of).
    Actually don't go to the places you're too scared to go.

67. Interesting. I’ll check it out. Thanks

68. Well your'e a lot more likely to find the inked up gangsta's right here in the U.S.A., in Mexico you will typically meet nothing but friendly & humble people. I find multi-ethnic places are a lot more interesting places to live.

I can think of nothing more depressing than living in all white place - all that inbreeding makes for droopy eyed, slow thinking, boring people.

69. So much of this comes down to self-knowledge/awareness. I need to be very deliberate before the markets open. Get up. Meditate. Take the dog out. Shower. Eat breakfast. That’s an hour and a half right there. Only then am I ready to get to my computer and get my head in the game.

So that’s why i’m such a stickler for time zone.

I’m probably not a good fit for the vagabond lifestyle.

70. I have never head of good internet connections in international waters. maybe others can comment.

71. I can think of a good way to find out! ;)

72. Hilarious. :D

73. Ok, that's just retarded and racist. You're banned from this site for the next week. Consider this your first and only warning.

74. Not sure about apartment costs. I stayed at Hotel Don Carlos, a small boutique hotel. Highly recommended.

75. Baron... I read it as sarcasm.
    I think he was joking.
    Making fun of that attitude.
    Hence the puppy.
    Nobody's that big of a dick.

76. That is about as ignorant a comment as I have ever seen on EliteTrader. First Mexico is in North America, not Central America. Second, I have been to Mexico 8 times, all on business and all in Mexico City. True there are some extremely poor parts of the city, but there were also parts, both residential and commercial, that were as affluent and modern as the best places in the USA. And if you think the USA is 100% great, google "Texas Colonias". You would probably be shocked to learn that over a million people in the USA live without indoor plumbing or electricity.

77. Dealmaker gave it a like

78. [​IMG]
    Image size:
    500 × 334
    Find other sizes of this image:
    All sizes - Medium - Large
    Best guess for this image: crime, violence, and the crisis in guatemala

for what it's worth this is a result/comment by google from a google search.

79. I gotta believe Lawrence was being purely sarcastic.... mocking the "lilly white" segment of our culture.
    Thats how I read it anyway.

80. @Baron should implement the [/sarcasm] bb code so we can know for sure.

81. Try East Asia. I swear you'll feel like a vampire in no time (especially with the current DST difference) -- get up when the sun is about to set, go to sleep when it just gets light outside. On the flipside, it definitely motivates you to automate everything.

I suppose two places have everything YOU actually want. Portugal and Canary Islands - both in ideal timezones (market open 14:30, close 21:00). You can do everything you need before the open and can have drinks after the close.
    Both are fairly modern places with hot climates. Language is a problem but you'll encounter boatloads of English speakers in both places.

82. Iive on a boat

83. That is how I read it as well.

84. I live in the Philippines, moved here from Washington. It does not meet your time zone requirements and yes it is hot but I have a fiber optic connection, easy to trade the Asian and European sessions or you can catch the first part of the US session.
    They speak English and there is a huge expat community. Cost of living is extremely good for somebody living on USD. $400 a month for a huge place in a gated community with guards, clean water supply, beach, three pools, a resort and restaurant.
    Many long time retired guys here and help on the living in the Philippines forum.
    There is nothing like home though, our freedoms, legal system and access to goods is simply unmatched.
    Good luck,

85. What is your opinion of Cebu? Where are the safe places in the Philippines?

86. Sorry Snowflake, no Safe Zones/spaces there but even a cheap skate like you can find Some trim.

87. What about leaving the country and going to Wyoming?

88. If it gets too complicated and you wanted to stay closer to New England for family or other reasons, you could move up to Burlington, Vermont. You are only two hours out of Montreal to mix it up a little. It is not an exotic move but it would be a change and keep you out of the hot weather, and in a time zone that you are used to.

89. The guy lives in San Diego... Of course he was being sarcastic... It makes no sense to live in such a place and really think like that...:confused:
    Besides, I'm brazilian and I would never take ofense, even if he had meant it, given that he mentioned south america... Who gives a f... about what someone else thinks? Let anyone think or say whatever one wants...(IMHO) And I mean WHATEVER...
    People should read and see some Thomas Sowell... Now that is an intelligent man...

90. There are many nice towns in southern NH. I know you already know that. You would be close to Boston, No state tax, high quality of life.

91. Why not use Airbnb to get a feel about certain places.
    Take a year and spend 2 months in 6 places.
    If you're ever in The Netherlands/Belgium/Northern France, give me a shout and we can have a beer.

92. Bohol, island just off the coast of Cebu, recently had a kidnapping by the Islamists by boat. I won't go as far as saying the whole Visayas area is unsafe but you have to be aware. Safest place would probably be somewhere on Luzon, Metro Manila obviously has crime but it's not as bad any more. Baguio seemed like a safe place to me. You really have to pay a lot of attention to where you move here because the infrastructure is really poor and because of that you want good shopping venues nearby as well as hospitals and schools if you frequent those places often.

Yeah, it's sad that he got banned for sarcasm. It was too obvious.

93. "Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views.[1][2][3]

The original statement of the adage, by Nathan Poe, was:[1]

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article."

94. Palm Beach, Florida

95. I'll throw in a few suggestions:
    -Cote d'Azur France: Nice weather, great food. Housing doesn't have to break the bank if you don't want it too. Alps are nearby for skiing in the winter. Italy, Spain, Switzerland nearby for trips by car. Good airport in Nice with flights to anywhere.
    -The West coast of Portugal (Sines for example) Nice weather, great food, friendly people that speak some English, Beautiful green scenery in the Spring. Very cheap overal living. Near Lissabon and the Algarve for daytrips.
    -Westminster Berkshire UK. Near London but much quieter and more affordable.
    -Antwerp Belgium: 2 1/2 hr drive to amsterdam, 4 hr drive to paris, affordable living, great beer, good food
    -Barcelona: skiing in andorra in the winter, beaches nearby, pleasant temperature.

96. Leave your stash in the States.

97. Eh? Not heard of a Westminster in Berks.

98. I've heard the traffic in Metro Manila is gridlocked to the point of absurdity, is that hyperbole or does it really impact your ability to live there?

99. I really appreciate the advice. I am going to research Luzon. Thanks again.

100. My bad, I meant Windsor, Berkshire
    semi detached houses for 600k. For that money you get a studuo in Chelsea, London

101. It's not hyperbole at all. During rush-hour it's completely hopeless, 2-3 kilometer journeys can take 2 hours. I rely on Uber/Grab here mostly and it's unlikely I'd get a car, despite paying ridiculous prices. But the rush-hour is almost constant now. The few good hours are from 10am to noon and 2am to 3am, so trying to travel around that time makes sense. I once saw completely standstill traffic on EDSA (main "highway" through Manila) at 1am, it wasn't a holiday and nothing special was going on.
    One big reason is that everyone wants to own a car here and it's cheap to do so, this doesn't work in a big city. Then again, the public transport is pathetic, it's packed to the brim and the train service is still terrible due to mismanagement.
    Large areas of Manila are also a slum, I would not advise people to live here unless they have a job that pays very well and it comes with a personal driver - you might as well sit in the back seat and work while waiting in traffic, people do that.

102. Nobody liked Toronto -- I get that.
    What about Pittsburgh??
    Largest town in New Hampshire -- and for that matter, all of New England!
    C'monnnnn.
    http://www.pittsburg-nh.com/town-history/indian-stream-republic/2-about
    I once took a walk with my sons
    http://www.toughtraveler.com/cat119.asp
    from Canada south to (south to) the White Mountains, and passed through Pittsburgh.
    Good eating, wonderful people, quiet roads, and as it was near July 4th, there was lots of free protein traveling around in the breeze.....
    [​IMG]

(The rest of the year, it's just good/bad skiing...)

103. Hey, I know someone, who lives there. If you can live in the suburbs, and avoid traffic not a bad place. In 2 hours away there are both skiing and non-salty beaches. And there are a few sport teams in town, I heard they are quite OK! :)

104. I love Toronto. It's Prime Minister Crying Boy I can't stand.

105. Would you prefer Donnie The Mop over Crying Boy? He's all about exports, I hear. Mebbe he'd export hisse'f...... :)

106. Yeah, careful what you wish for @tortoise. Could be worse, remember Ford?

107. Ford???

[​IMG]

And me without my towel.....

[by-the-way.... R.I.P., Marvin The Paranoid Android.... what a great actor, whether voice-talent or live.]

108. Those are my choices?

109. 3 bed semi detached in that area is more like $900k.

I'm guessing u aint living in the UK!

110. True ... but could soon be nearer $600k, if the proposed Heathrow expansion plans go ahead, with their flight-paths ...

111. Well, schooling could be a huge issue, specially if moving to abroad, so what are we talking about here? They just left kindergarten or they are finishing college?

By the way nobody mentioned yet the 2 places solution. Why not have a main residence somewhere (maybe where taxation is less) but still live during the hot/cold part of the year somewhere else? Off season renting is dirt cheap, I am sure you can afford 3-4 months of renting in the South during the winter months or even in Spain/Portugal.

At least that is our master plan...

112. I think hearing an honest review from a professional like yourself is much better perspective based on reality. I have probably read too many reviews where the reviewer judges the quality of an entire city based on where they can buy some cheap San Migs lol......

113. Well, cheap beer is obviously paramount for me as well but luckily, the prices are roughly the same everywhere.
    Perhaps I was being too negative previously, you can live in Metro Manila and have a decent life if you don't need to go travel around often. There are plenty of nice condo developments with decent service for an affordable price. On top of that, ordering things online and getting free/cheap delivery is very common now. So you can hermit if you want and just live in your condo bubble.

114. Lol I never saw any indications in any of your previous posts to indicate that cheap beer was paramount for you. I must have missed it. Last question and this is an important one, I know this is subjective but does the food suck or not? Is it possible to get American style food there? (pizza, hamburgers ect..ect?). How about just regular konbini food like Japan? They have Family Mart/711 and Lawson where you are I think just like Japan. I need to do some research. Thanks.

115. Foreign food depends on where you live. On a beach in Cebu somewhere? You might get German pickles and local hamburgers (they're edible) and local pizza (mostly not edible).
    In Metro Manila and a few other big cities, you have a lot of American chains like Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, Domino's, Papa John's, S&R and so forth. Japanese and Korean food is also very prevalent, should you live in certain areas of Makati, you might think you're in Korea.

7-11 and FamilyMarts here are different from Japanese, the snack foods are Siopai (Chinese meat bun), Siomai (dumpling) and sandwiches compared to Japan where you'll get onigiri.

In general, food is very hit & miss here overall. You never want to walk into a random place in the Philippines (like I did in Europe) as you'll probably be disappointed. If you know where to go, you can get decent food. Half the time, food is laden with sugar and vegetables are not very popular for most, expect to eat some meat that tastes like candy!

116. Swing by one of the American Legions, they serve a mean shit on a shingle(SOS)

117. If your thinking of living abroad just to try to cut down on cut down on your living costs without having a real driving passion to do something that your new location offers than chances are you won't stay long anyway and will be disappointed.

118. Thanks for the info, I owe you a few San Migs. Take care.

119. The fact that I'm torn between Vienna and Central America does suggest a certain lack-of-focus in this regard...

I’m just itching for a change in venue, I guess.

120. The dog is not white.

121. Use Inmarsat. Data is kind of expensive, but if you can cruise on your own yacht, it is peanuts.

122. Anybody have any thoughts about Buenos Aires?

123. B
    Place to be if you tango. Check out Palermo neighborhood. Descent sized ex-pat community but nothing like Cuenca or Lake Atitlan. If you want to experience the good life while lowering costs better choice than those two.

124. I’m sure your’re right. Alas, Buenos Aires is located in an appealing time zone.

125. Why alas? No matter what it's going to be substantially cheaper than Boston. Buenos Aires used to be referred to as the "Paris" of South America in the roaring 1920s. Has the best architecture in South America and if you choose you can live very frugally. There are neighborhoods much, much cheaper than Palermo and it has a more civilized atmosphere than Cuenca or Lake Atitlan.
    Palermo is only second to Recoleta in my view. Recoleta is like Beacon Hill of Boston IE upscale.

126. “Alas” because Argentina is nutso, isn’t it?

127. No. They have a new government ( late 2015) which is pro free-enterprise.

128. I’d stick with Vienna, or perhaps even Switzerland if possible, but its pricey.

129. I lived in manila and played poker years ago. Didn't trade. How much is fiber optics in Manila / Cebu?

Philippines is safe for Americans I heard, bc of the US / Philippines foreign aid. They don't kidnap Americans in general. There's also lotsa women that'll probably love you. The place is cheap, Rent is more than 400 USD in manila more like 600-800 in safe areas. It's a good place I lived there for like 6 months. Bars and food and culture is very american. The locals like foreigners.

130. Irrelevant. You only go out at night, the place is so hot in the morning. It's before 10 a.m. and after 8 p.m. that you'd wanna be outside. If you live downtown financial district, you're 5 minutes drive to the nicest mall in the world, IMO.

131. If you like smaller city colonial style..cool weather...decent cable internet...coffee shops...etc then check out San Cristobal De Las Casas in the highlands of southern Mexico. I lived there for years. Just never could adapt well to the altitude. And the cold. But you would probally like its weather. It has Sams Club..medium size mall..theaters...and of course Mcdonalds..Burger King etc along with many local food restaurants. If you need bigger city style then Tuxtla Gutierrez is just about 30 minutes away. But it is a warmer climate. Both places have great coffee shops and in the evenings the central park is usually full of people meandering around ...relaxing..drinking coffee...and at times performers entertaining. Cost of living isn't too bad. In San Cristobal one can rent a decent house in a decent gated neighborhood for 500 to 800 dollars a month. I think i paid about 200 or 300 in a gated community but that was a few years back. I have friends who live there. Lots of tourists come there ....mostly Europeans. Biggest downside is nothing to do much after you check out all the historical sites. You can travel about 1 hour away to the lagos de montebello or find things to do in Tuxtla Guitierrez but if you just wanna go relax..trade the markets...sit around.. drink coffee...wind down...well this might work for you. Tuxtla has an airport to travel to USA via Mexico City.

Lots of Taxis and little buses running aroubd San Cristobal so you actually don't even need a car. However, you can take a car down and get 6 months permit. Then you drive a couple hours to Guatemala ..leave Mexico stay a couple nights in Guatemala and come back in to Mexico for another 6 months.

Google and check it out:

San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

132. For example: here is a smaller house fully furnished with cable and internet and probally utilities too for 700 dollars a month. I think it is in or very near to the last gated community I lived in. Quiet neighborhood on the edge of town. These sorts of place abound there. You can rent bigger homes also. However, buying a home is quite expensive if in a gated community. Don't know if you looking to rent or buy. People come and stay months or years in these sort of places.

If you are a big party animal San Cristobal is not for you. Check out the reviews...Like I said many places similiar to this abound. Some downtown.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/892299

133. I don't know what it is about this picture.... but for some reason every time I see it.... it reminds of the elevators in Trump Tower.

134. I live in San Diego and it has the best climate - 70 degrees in winter is nothing to sneeze at. Bear in mind however that the cost of living here is not cheap, with the price of a three bedroom house in the $600's for a reasonably decent area. I've met some people who have decided to go south and live just across the border in Mexico. They say it is mostly crime free and can live a great life on a fraction of what it costs to live north of the border. Additionally some even commute to San Deigo every day. PLus the climate is the same.

135. We live in Waltham with one more to finish up school in a year and considering renting the house and relocating. My work for Oracle has taken my around the world.

Considering:
    Santiago #1 by far
    Budapest
    Munich
    Lisbon

136. I hear a lot of great things about Chile. Budapest, as well, although I just can’t see learning Hungarian.

What is it about Lisbon that you find so appealing?

And why do you rate Santiago so highly?

137. Great info. Thanks.

138. There are a lot of English speakers in Budapest so it was easy.
    Santiago has a very modern European feel with the relaxed Latin lifestyle. Loved it. We didn't talk deals at lunch, afternoon coffee or dinner, but rather life, family and kids. The mountain views are awesome with the ocean just a couple hours away.
    Same in Lisbon, but a bit more rustic and right on the ocean.

139. Fiber is 1500 and up if you can get it, not all areas are covered.

Foreign aid wise Japan gives more as well as ADB and World Bank. Americans have been kidnapped more than once, you think Islamic terrorists will leave Americans alone? Why would they?
    $400 for rent is plenty for a 2br condo in nice area.

140. Bocete, Panama. Stable dollar based economy and SanDiego like climate year round.

141. Thanks..you can always fly down stay a month or so and just see if it meets what you are looking for....it is much cheaper to go the b&b route for a month as good hotels are quite expensive. Plus you get kitchen..furnished place..privacy...etc as opposed to hotel stay.

I've lived in Mexico, Honduras, Belize, Panama..been to Argentina..Chile..Guatemala..El Salvador..etc.

However, i am a warm climate type person and don't care for mountains neither. I like flat land ...warm weather..beaches...etc so i could never get used to all the mountains in Honduras Highlands..Mexico Highlands...Guatemala Highlands. Plus i do not do well at high altitudes. I was mostly miserable but on warm sunny days i could sit in the sun and thaw out. I have friends in Canada. The wife and myself loaded up the Goldwing hooked up our combi camper and raced to Mexico to San Cristobal de Las Casas (two hours or so from Central America ...camping as we went.) Then returned back and raced up to Alberta Canada ...camping as we went. It was a dream i had had for years ...to travel on a motorcycle camping. Just decided i had better do it before I got too old to hold the moto up. Glad we did. We saw many sites in Mexico, Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Canada...etc.

We are from the south so it was quite the journey..back to back long trips on a moto pulling a big Combi Camp.

I like fishing..flat land...warm weather. I don't care for mountains of Tn that everyone raves about. Been there and camped there (this time in the motorhome.) Have friends that live in Gatlinburg. They love it.

So, in trying to decide where to settle down at..I'd take the time to visit as many as money would allow..travel around ...sightsee...find a place that "fits" you and of course your wife if married.

We gotton too old now but still may be good for one more long moto trip. Or may go in the motorhome and pull the moto behind on a trailer. I've gotton used to the comforts of a 40 ft motor home. Back when younger the moto/combi camper journey was VERY appealing.

142. PS it was cold in Canada in August. Did not like that. But again it was cold in San Francisco in June while locals were swimming in bay with wet suits on. Too much wind in San Francisco, for me. The locals were kinda of strange too. A group of old naked farts were riding bicycles around in the cold right down town around a park. I guess it was some sort of expression of some sort of BS to ride around publically naked in the cold. I figured they might get pneumonia. My comments on the trolley didn't seems to bother other locals riding the trolley nor did they seem concerned for the naked bike riders nor even interested. Some strange people over there. I don't suppose they are all strange but i surely did encounter some who were. IMO

143. Cebu is a large city, has everything and is safe and great internet with many expats. Bacolod is growing and has fiber, Cubic, Iolo Iolo, anywhere but western to central Mindinao like Mawari to many extremist groups there. The NPA is in the mountains but are not a big threat in the cities.
    I was an advisor here in the late 80s early 90s and have lived here for 6 years now. I have a child in private school, live on the water and have never had an issue.
    RRY16's comment about even a cheapskate can get trim is true.
    All in all its not a bad place if you like the tropics and a cheap place to trade.

144. Why? Is your mom still there?
    It looks like the admins are giving you a pass on your trolling activity in this thread. You add zero value as usual to any discussion, look at everyone of his responses in this thread as proof. Why he isn't banned is beyond me.

Put some sunscreen on pajama boy, I don't want you getting burned.

145. Western Australia or maybe anywhere in Australia for you, except Tasmania or Victoria.
    Endless sun, flat country, beaches, Western culture, did I say sun...?
    Not good for trading USA hours though unless you wish to be a night owl.
    Where I am, it is not uncommon to have several weeks of cloudless skys per year.

146. I have 3 words for you: California, Arizona, Florida. No need to go to the end of the world, where half of the animals can kill you.

147. CA too much wind...never been to AZ but don't think so ...WIFE LIKE TREES. Florida i do like but too many squiters and gators and now pythons.

148. The point was that an American person doesn't need to fly 18 hours just to have lots of sunshine. Now if you are Swedish....

If you think FL has too many gators, just wait until you see fighting kangaroos on the street...

149. Yep, zillions of insects, snakes, gators, sharks, killer germs and death rays from the sun...
    Stay away, we like it here unpopulated. :)
    (Not talking about madhouse Sydney)

150. In Oz the Shielas are built like lumber jacks, if you loike that sort of thing mate !

151. Dame Edna Everage is a bit of oright though.

152. Actually trading at night would suit me. My wife has a flurry of activity and noise going early in the mornings and that creates havoc for my concentration.

153. Not too hot
    Not too cold
    Electricity and internet connection
    The stimulation of others with similar interests.
    Culture and fun places nearby.
    Intelligible language.
    Low tax and authority interference.
    Any more ?

154. Didn't know they had gators in Aussieland. You guys import them recently just for kicks?

155. Australia, so friendly, even the wildlife is petting your dog:

My bad, that was the wrong video, the freaking kangoroo just held captive a pitbull sized dog. Got hit on the nose by a 200 lbs guy and just shook his head: Is that the best you have?

156. Sorry, my bad. Crocs.

157. As you get older, you sleep less and less and getting up early will not be a problem.:D

158. It was very interesting to read your post. I too am going to have a rest soon, I want to visit Asia, visit several countries, including China and India. There are a few architectural monuments in mind https://set-travel.com/en/asia/monuments I have not been to Asian countries yet.

159. Costa Rica?
    Portugal?
    Malta?
    Panama?

160. I hear Idaho is nice. I'm partial to Colorado. Chile is stable enough if looking at Latin America....I like Brazil and Colombia myself... Some parts of Mexico are nice as fuck.

161. Why relocate completely? Do like we did. Downsize in the expensive locale where you have been and have friends, family, doctors etc. and winter in some warmer climes?

EZ-PZ

162. What was the smog situation like in Santiago? It's another place I've heard mixed reviews on, mainly that it would be perfect except it's got a "LA in the 70s" level smog problem because now the bowl geography and inversions. Is that accurate or an exaggeration?

163. Well if you're still trading with any serious regularity time zone and ECN infrastructure would be important.

Now my next point is very individualistic and personal, but I have seen some traders not do well when they make a serious move in locale. It just seems to mess with them somehow. Humans are generally speaking creatures of habit.

164. mine is Orlando, Florida, Eastern time zone, not too far from the beach. never been hit by a major hurricane. Don't care much for Mickey Mouse. There's also a All-you-eat lobster restaurant in south of Orlando. (Kissimmee area).

[I heard from TMZ, Baron (ET Founder) has been banned from the restaurant (for their business survival).

165. Most people think the grass is greener somewhere else. It's one big fallacy. Wherever I roam, there is a six foot hole waiting for me, whether it's in Iceland or Fiji. I always prioritize lifestyle over location. Might buy me some time.

166. Serious move in locale. Agree with this. I have moved house countless times (well over 20 times) but it was the move into another country which largely destroyed my first marriage.
    I think if you stay within your own country you are not affected nearly as bad as going overseas, the process can send you reeling. Will take a number of years to recover imo.

167. I suppose that too depends on the lady. My wife grew up in the country..small farm..lived in same country house most of her single years ...then we met and married. I've taken her to Honduras to live for nigh 10 years. To Mexico for nigh 12 years. She did ok but i do realize some women just cannot seem to make the adaptations. We are now living in the States but still travel often to other countries.

168. If you’re still an active trader, and you’re making a notable time zone jump into a completely different setting I would almost recommend that the trader rent housing and an office space month-to-month before making a more “permanent” move. Alternatively, I’ve seen traders buy vacation or second homes and gradually progress into trading from there.

IMO this is especially relevant if you are trading well and are currently in a nice groove financially and emotionally- You just don’t tempt fate it seems to me.

169. Bar none Phils has the worst food of any country I've been....

170. Who doesn't know how to swim?
    How does that happen?

171. It's true that if you go eat randomly then you're going to get terrible food, this was my experience when I first arrived. The decent places are usually not well advertised nor well placed strategically. But yes, I can only recall a few times when the food has been excellent and I've eaten in hundreds of places.

172. Mexico has a huge variety of great dishes that even vary from region to region even though the same dish. Honduras food is drab and pretty much taste the same regardless of the dish for they load almost all dishes with cumin spice. So beef..pork..chicken..beans pretty much all have that cumin taste. Mexico on the other hand has a variety of exquisite taste for their foods. And very personalized from chef to chef. Delightful.

Ever tried the balut in the Philippines? It is a boiled egg with the baby duck inside...not too appetizing eh?

173. Have heard from a couple of sources....in HongKong, scalping live monkeys at the dinner table.
    Up market restaurants, usually private settings of wealthy people. Could be some truth in it.
    I won't go into anymore details as it is not pleasant.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_brains

174. Good choices with Portugal topping the list. It a language pain though.

175. It's not exactly a "baby duck inside" as it's far from fully developed but I get your point. I never eat that stuff myself. Naturally, it's from China originally.

176. Great Sydney, if there were no residence permit and tax issues to consider it would be in my top 3 choice. No gator nor fighting kangaroos neither too many insects.
    A guy managed to get bitten twice by a nasty spider though there in a single year, recently at that, the second time on his penis. Public toilets can be unfriendly.

177. Bonifacio Global City is great in the Philippines if one wants 1st world comfort. Would probably move there if i didn't feel it would soon get nasty with Mrs Luis. Cost is probably much higher than on Cebu.There are villas right next to BGC as well for those not too keen on the condos as well as the best international schools in Manila right in BGC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glo...54TYAhUJi7wKHW4qDqkQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=968

178. Similar experience here, moved lotsa times,often to destinations very distant from each other, and as a family it has become much harder. Kids don't seem to mind but every large move has been very hard on Mrs, surprised we went through those actually. Quite hesitant now to move anymore. Worth thinking about that beforehand.

179. I adore Mexican food...
    Admittedly, i was in Phils for only 8 days (4 days in Manila, 4 days in Boracay)...and while the fresh fish in the islands is always great...the food in Manila and surrounding areas was so mediocre....bland and fried and unappealing...Not to mention I got the worst case of food poisoning in my life there (drinking freshly squeezed juices on the street)...

180. I had an excellent meal here and there, too..
    but compared to the rest of Asia, Phils is the very bottom rung of the ladder...

181. Yeah, I'm not that far from BGC and while it's very business oriented, it is also very modern. Expect 25,000 pesos (500 USD) and upwards for a nice 2BR condo.

I have never tried freshly squeezed stuff over here except in small resort towns. No food poisoning cases to report in 3 years. You cannot assume everything is safe here, you need to use your own judgment. Seeing the amount of people puking on the sidewalks (it's like a national sport), I'd say food poisoning from questionable sources is common.

The positive thing here is, you can get the ingredients for many international cuisines relatively easily and cook good food if that's something you're willing to do. It's considerably harder in mainland Asia. The Mexican food I've had here has been mediocre as well but DIY is obviously great.

182. Good list. I keep hearing that Lisbon is a dump, though...

183. Uh ?!? is it that cheap ? i checked some ads for villas on mc Kinley Hills and it was more like 5000up. Still cheaper than where I live but curious to know the right website where to look for real estate, rent or buy, in BGC, if you can share a link.
    Besides I have Filipinos friends whose kid is studying in BGC and when talked about apartments there it didn't sound they had found a nice 2BR for 500 either.
    Been there a couple of times, it's the only place I found which looked liveable long term in Manila.
    Didn't find the food too bad, there's a small chain with at least a restaurant in BGC and Makati where they serve large organic salads, quite nice, and nowhere to be seen around here.i forgot the name but we ate in both their restaurants a bunch of times, next to the salads they serve basic mediocre italian food. I passed but still fine for the kids.

184. olx.ph has the largest number of ads but it's a pain to search. 25k would be the price after quite a bit of looking and negotiating for a more budget place.

185. I hadn't heard that, what are the issues there? Planning a trip to check out Portugal this summer and possibly do the investment to permanent residence to citizen thing (without moving there full time), so am very interested in places to go/not to go.

186. Traffic gridlock nightmares.
    Sky high realestate prices.

187. People seem to have strong reactions to Lisbon. Either they love it, or they think it's a dump overrun by African migrants begging in the streets. The only way to know what's true is to go there, I suppose.

188. For a mom and pop retail trader like me, SoCal is an ideal location. Where I live the weather is great. By 1:00 pm Pacific time I am done for the day, have all afternoon and evening to hit the beaches, shopping....

189. Yea years ago i saw a documentary on it. Quite gross....

190. 911 is a bit messed up. The reactions proved your other points nicely. Care to give some similar and well documented factual examples about Russia (hopefully not in Russian)?

191. Not sure if it's okay to stray from the original topic too far but it appears that the bigger the country, the easier it is for incapable people to hide behind the achievements of their countrymen.
    Also, I don't carry a reasonable understanding of the Russian language.

192. In China, dog can be on the menu !!
    Support your pooch friends imho.
    Insult a dog and he wags his tail. Insult a Chinaman and ............
    I think I prefer dogs really.

193. You are talking about the US and China?

194. yea, but there is a difference

"Americans love their country and hate those who don’t agree.

Russians don’t love their country and hate those who agree."

195. Somewhere Europe IMO
    Just avoid Spain, Greece and capitals as they tend to be more and more expensive

196. Go to Southern Albania. Tirana is nice. Nowhere else in Europe will you see so many beautiful women for such low cost of living. It’s perfectly safe.

197. If you love the ocean, nature, laid back yet active & healthy life style than consider Maui.

upload_2017-12-14_16-27-20.png

198. I lived in Oahu for 3 years, living there is very different from vacationing for sure. I found HI to be a love it or hate it kind of place. If you're a go with the flow, nothing bothers you kind of person who would like nothing better than to surf all day you'll probably be in the love it category. If people dumping garbage all over the island (literally had car tires, an old refrigerator, and a toilet! Dumped essentially in my front yard over 3 occasions), graffiti on your fence (in a subdivision of $750k houses), 5 times longer to do anything, blatant racism, and meth dealers on the beaches makes you see red, you're going to be miserable. That said, Maui is far better than Oahu and probably the best mix of civilization without as much of the crime as you'll get in HI.

199. I lived on Oahu for about 9 years - location is everything there. I lived on Waialeae Iki ridge (above Kahala) & Kailua & was always amazed at how beautiful & pristine it was. Those pitfalls you mentioned are isolated to some areas, typically closer to town & the more crowded & sketchy areas.

Meth did a number on many young locals for sure. There is some over the top racism and there also very friendly locals I became good friends with & got to experience the real Hawaii/Aloha through them. Oahu has grown so much - high rises pop up like weeds, many call it Tokoyo east. I had a nice time there for sure but don't miss the congested roads. It did not get to be a world class tourist destination by being being like south Chicago or Detroit.

Maui's north shore/upcountry is as good as it gets for a tropical island you can live on with all the luxuries minus those Oahu pitfalls you mentioned, although it's not for everyone - island living takes a certain personality - Oprah sure likes it (hehe). There are many nice place to live all over the world - paradise is not a destination, it's a mind set.

200. ..and getting up 4 am to trade the NY open.

201. Usually I like to recommend Monaco, it has so many advantages.

But since low cost of living is of high priority to you, and you already consider eastern europe, I have to following suggestion for you:

Bulgaria !

Bulgaria offers you among the lowest cost of living of all countries in Europe. Quality of life is still pretty good. They have excellent internet infrastructure. Time zone should be ok for you.
    And they have regions with fantastic climate, I really encourage you to read a bit about the city of Sandanski. It was the location's pleasant climate and hot mineral springs that attracted Thracian, then Roman settlers here.

And as a superbonus: only 10% flat tax on everything in Bulgaria (only examption is interest from bank accounts, those are taxed even lower at 8%) ! The lowest tax rate in the whole european union.

Greetings,
    CALLumbus

202. Interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks

203. You live in Bulgaria?

204. No, I dont live in Bulgaria.

205. Not sure where the bit about african immigrants comes from. Noticed some angolans there, but overall it looks like one of Europe large cities with the least africans, and Portugal from memory actually is the country in (western ?) Europe the least number of muslims per capita along Iceland. Wages are so low it is far from a magnet for economic migrants, and it's out of the way from Africa to Northern Europe. it's different when it comes to south Americans though. Very far from an expert, that's one of the countries in western Europe where I spent the least time.
    Little violent crime as well.
    If u mind the language there seems to be upmarket seaside resorts populated mostly with well off foreigners- and probably some cheaper resorts as well, considering french middle classes now go and retire in Portugal.
    I liked Lisbon very much,although large parts of it are worn out. Cost if living and crime are low, taxes are sweet by European standards and i don t mind the lingo so much. Among my top destination to move back to Europe.
    But you need to check other places in portugal as well, some prefer Porto (many Brazilian pilot families working in Asia seem to retire there for some reason) and others head to seaside resorts.
    In Auckland right now, can't advise it when it comes to time zone, not sure about the rest, except that I'm a little disappointed we didn't stop over in Sydney.

206. Sing me up too! Portugal also has a huge British expat population and I think they do speak some sort of English. Plenty of online forums too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/

Wiki:"British migration to Portugal has resulted in Portugal being home to one of the largest British-born populations outside of the United Kingdom. Migration from the UK to Portugal has increased rapidly since the late 1990s and the estimated population of British nationals in Portugal in 2006 was 49,000, including 11,000 living in Portugal for part of the year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_migration_to_Portugal

207. Looking at the numbers, some of the largest immigrant countries are Brazil, Angola, Guinea and Cape Verde - to the untrained eye they're all Africans. Ex-colonies have some migration preference I guess.
    I imagine the lowest Muslim numbers nowadays are in Eastern parts of EU, where I'm from you can live for years without seeing a single Muslim.

208. Indeed, Portugal has muslim numbers similar to eastern rather than western europen countries but still the least muslims are encountered in some eastern european countries. One doesn't find many arabs in Lisbon streets, probably even less outside Lisbon.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/11/29/5-facts-about-the-muslim-population-in-europe/

209. You can also have Bulgarian nationality within18 months (even for your children), no language requirements, no obligation of minimum stay in the country. Bulgaria evenb accpets double nationality. Cost you about 300,000 euro.Too expensive for 95% of ET posters. Free travelling in all Schengen countries, etc...

210. Greetings schweiz !

Thanks for the additional info, have you lived in Bulgaria ? I read lots of good stuff about it, on paper it looks really like there is lots of advantages.

I would still prefer Monaco though... :)

211. Let me guess the weather.
    Cloudy.
    Cloudy last week, and today, and tomorrow, and next week, and next month, and next year....

212. That's obvious, as there is no free money in these countries.

213. Correction: she might get YOUR nationality. Not the other way.

214. There are ways to have the best of both worlds. You don't need to live in Bulgaria, you don't need Bulgarian nationality. There are many other solutions depending on what is high on your priority list.
    I noticed that in most countries the laws are made basically for people who live in that country. If you try not to be like that you can save a lot of taxes.

An example without going too much in detail: In country A people who have a company pay taxes in that company, and when they withdraw money from that company they pay again in their personal income declaration.
    But this is only true for citizens living in country A. If you live in country B and have that same company in country A, you pay the same taxes in that company. But when you withdraw the money later, you are not taxed in country A as you live in country B where you make your personal income declaration. And in country B this income is not taxable. So you save lots of money. This can even reach a savings of over 90% in taxes in some cases. And you do not need to migrate or change nationality.

Monaco is only a solution if you REALLY live there at least 6 months a year. Not a pleasant environment to reside. Looks good when you visit it for a citytrip, but not if you have to stay there all the time. Not to speak about the expenses.

215. I didn't say you can't establish residency in her country. If she is from the EU, your new residency is good for the whole EU. Cheaper than 300K Euros that is for sure.

216. If she (or you) is NOT from EU, she can have Bulgarian nationality and travel free in Schengen, that's what I speak about. Otherwise she cannot, she will need a visa and can only stay max 3 months, like all people form outside EU (including US citizens!). There the only solution is pay 300K to have unlimited access to Schengen.
    Nationality is now much harder to receive. I know several cases of people that are completely integrated, speak the language, have for years already a job, but are still refused.

217. It's actually raining right now... Blue skies in Auckland actually look awesome when coming from large and polluted asian cities but yeah they appear an evasive bunch.

218. Aoteoroa, Land of the Long White Cloud.
    Yes, the lack of polution in the atmosphere down under (NZ / Aust) is truly a blessing.
    Aust. suffers a bit from bush fire smoke now and again but in my mind is better than industrial smoke.
    Singapore suffers badly, maybe worse from forestry burn offs coming from Indonesia.

219. And I offered a cheaper version. Marry someone from the EU and you can have residency status anywhere inside the EU, once you established it in her country. (not that hard) If you put the trading account in her name and file married, but separately, she can pay much less taxes than you, as an American.

220. If you have residency in EU you pay taxes in the EU country where you have residency. Even being an American will make no difference. You will pay (high) EU taxes.

She, as well as you, will both pay (high) taxes in that EU country. No matter whether you are American or not. Taxes in EU are higher then in the US. She will pay more in EU not less. And so will you.

If she divorces from you she will have all the money from the trading account. So your version will be a very expensive one for you, and a very attractive one for her.

I am EU citizen and married with a non EU woman. I have a fairly good idea which things work and which don't .

221. Latin America is looking better and better. Costa Rica, Ecuador, Colombia, Peru.

I just wish the time zone were shifted a bit closer toward UTC. But I you can’t always get what you want.

222. I got a friend in costa rica that might sell you his house overlooking san jose. He is up in the mountain in a neighborhood..

223. What is the political situation ?
    Show some pics and a price.

224. I'm not sure most married folks would agree that getting married is the cheaper option between that and a one-time 300K Euro expense!

225. Find someone rich to marry.

226. Marriage can be far more expensive. I speak from personal experience. If I would have had the choice in my divorce I would have paid 300K with pleasure. Would have been a good deal for me.

227. So you guys saying, you can't trust a Bulgarian* mail order bride? The horror!!

*Bulgarian traders pay less taxes than US traders

228. Close this thread. We’ve gone from Maui to third world Europe :)

229. No where in Europe has ever been third world. In fact, the genesis of the term "third world" presumed first world (US, Western Europe, "the west") and second world (USSR, Eastern Europe, "Iron Curtain").

230. political ...stable as far as i know since the 80's.
    When my friend gets his pictures posted on an internet site i can post the link for all interested parties to check out.

231. Looks like a horrible 3rd world shithole indeed.

[​IMG]

232. Lots of beautiful, but backwards Eastern Euro states, and global ones as well. I know because I lived there. Problem is if you lived in the US your whole life, you’re a spoiled brat and likely won’t adjust. I recommended Southern Albania earlier because it’s a great place for me. I’m fluent and culturally oriented to it. A typical American probably wouldn’t like it, and they probably won’t like them. This is apparent by the disgust many countries feel toward expats. It’s just the money they want.

233. When you say "spoiled" do you mean spoiled by low crime, low corruption, rule of law, not getting dysentery eating in a restaurant... or spoiled by everyone speaking English and having access to big macs? I'm happy to deal with the latter, less so the former.

234. Exactly Sig. We live in a bubble here in the US, but I’m not complaining :)

235. Could you update us what was your choice? Or at least the top 3 you would consider? 2 years ago we had a similar thread. One poster claimed he looked into every EU country and ended up with his best choice, but he didn't reveal it. His profile says he is from Cambodia though...

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/best-european-countries-to-trade-from.288687/

236. At the moment, Lisbon is coming out on top. Bulgaria and St Petersburg (Russia) are appealing but the wife will never go for it. I am intrigued by Latin America (Costa Rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru) but am concerned that I would get bored there, with the possible exception of Buenos Aires.

237. Costa rica has quite abit to do from what i hear from my friends..beaches..jungle ex cursions...kayaking...etc. I have been to argentina..i wouldn't wanna live there. That is where "el che" is from. I went last year and year prior to that. Nothing i saw there would appeal to me for living there unless you just like sitting around yapping..eating meats galore of all sort and drinking wine. I never seen people eat so much meat, drink so much wine, and waste so much time yapping. Of course the country has been thru economic turmoil last several years..maybe they don't care anymore..

238. Yes and Argentina is also too damn far away. I suspect I’ll end up in Europe, in which case I’ll really need to think about taxes...

239. Another factor that no one has touched on is - would you be welcome when if you are from the States ? And you get the blame for every thing the POTUS does. Are US people welcome in places like Mexico after his rants ? Probably not.

240. Wear something with a maple leaf on it. The vast majority of people will assume you're Canadian and leave you alone.

241. Haven't you heard mexicans come to the states?

242. That of course doesn't mean that American policy isn't unpopular in Mexico.

243. Actually, it's not bad. I've traveled Europe under Bush, Obama, and this year. With Bush it was awful. I traveled with a Canadian flag patch on my bag and know how to say "No! No, Canadian" in 6 languages. After 2008 it was amazing. Everyone loved you and the flag patch was a funny ice breaker. Now, they just seen to feel sympathy for you. There's none of the blaming individual Americans for the president at all. I was prepared for it, but it just wasn't there this time.

244. All but St. Petersburg make sense to me. You mentioned warmer climates. St. Petersburg has long winters, Russian issues - English proficiency is very low, corruption, suspicion towards foreigners etc. You might as well go for Estonia or Latvia then, higher living standards and EU standards for the most part.

245. A relation of mine bought a small but lovely property in Sicily some years ago.
    It just needed a bit of improvement and some basic repairs but for the price - a bargain until............
    It was impossible to locate a plumber, electrician etc. Ask a local and they would rush off without replying !
    Yikes
    It was fortunate that she had a pretty blonde daughter who got chatting to a guy looking at the view. She got an invite to the big house for a meal. In reply to the question How are you settling in ? She mentioned the repairs problem,
    Next morning at 6am there were 3 men with tools ready to go ! Imagine her surprise.
    Some sort of Mafia boss.

246. I didn't get that either. There is simply no positive side there. Vacationing there is one thing, living not so much.

247. Taxes.

And I have a foundation in the Russian language.

But, again, not gonna happen.

248. Never as been popular. Ever wonder why when they are running at breakneck speed to the states?

249. Your point is...elusive. You think that because people emigrate from Mexico to that U.S. policy is popular in Mexico? That's a pretty silly view of the world you'd expect from someone with little exposure to it.

250. How long have you lived in Latin America? Why do you think US policy is unpopular with Latins?

251. Of course they loved you after '08. Obama was the apologist to the world and giving away the store.
    No different than smart money loving a dumb trader to take the other side.

252. Well clearly longer than you, since you you'd last about 2 minutes calling any Mexican a "Latin". Have any comments on 'dem orientals living in China while you're at it? ¡Eres un capullo!

253. It depends. When Americans travel with mistrust, inflated ego and arrogance - why would they be welcomed? You need to be somewhat humble to be welcomed, no matter where you're from. I think much of the world is worn out at this point, unless you're an obese guy with a stars and stripes t-shirt, no-one will be hostile towards you.

254. Bulgaria still wins, the language is almost the same. The only reason Bulgaria didn't become part of the Soviet Union because they didn't share a border.

"According to a Eurobarometer survey conducted in 2012 English was the most commonly known foreign language in Bulgaria (25% claimed workable knowledge of it), followed by Russian (23%), and German (8%)."

255. Peterhof and Hermitage, that's all you have to see there.

256. Bulgaria is the best choice in Europe. But you have to know the secrets that makes it interesting. Most people don't have any clue about that. They think you have to live there, etc...

257. The region is called Latin America. ¿Eres un poco ignorante quizas? De mi parte tengo años de vivir en Latinoamérica y tengo muchos amigos allí. Además mi hijo esta casado con una Mexicana. ¡Tú no sabes de lo que hablas!

For those that don't speak spanish the gist of what I said above to sig after he called me a jerk to put it mildly as it can be interpreted even stronger........is:

"The region is called Latin America. Perhaps you are a bit ignorant? For my part I have lived for years in Latin America and I have many friends there. On top of that my son is married to a Mexican girl. You don't know what you are talking about!"

Source: Wikipedia

Latin America[a] is a group of countries and dependencies in the Americas where Spanish, French and Portuguese are predominant including Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, and Saint Barthelemy. The term originated in 19th century France as Amérique latine to consider French-speaking territories in the Americas (Haiti, French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy) along with the larger group of countries where Spanish and Portuguese languages prevailed. It is therefore broader than the terms Ibero-America or Hispanic America—though it usually excludes French Canadaand modern French Louisiana.

Latin America[a]
    [​IMG]
    Area 19,197,000 km2(7,412,000 sq mi)[1]
    Population 639,048,639 (2016 est.)[2]
    Population density 31/km2 (80/sq mi)
    Demonym Latin American
    Countries 20[c]
    Dependencies 13
    Largest cities (Metro areas)[3][4]
    1. Mexico City
    2. São Paulo
    3. Buenos Aires
    4. Rio de Janeiro
    5. Bogotá
    6. Lima
    7. Santiago
    8. Caracas
    9. Guadalajara
    10. Monterrey
    Latin America consists of nineteen sovereign states and several territories and dependencies which cover an area that stretches from the northern border of Mexico to the southern tip of South America, including the Caribbean. It has an area of approximately 19,197,000 km2(7,412,000 sq mi),[1] almost 13% of the Earth's land surface area. As of 2016, its population was estimated at more than 639 million[2] and in 2014, Latin America had a combined nominal GDP of 5,573,397 million USD[5] and a GDP PPPof 7,531,585 million USD.[5][6]

The term "Latin America" was first used in an 1856 conference with the title "Initiative of the America. Idea for a Federal Congress of Republics" (Iniciativa de la América. Idea de un Congreso Federal de las Repúblicas),[7] by the Chilean politician Francisco Bilbao. In such conference, he called for the creation of a confederation of Latin American republics to better search for their common defense and prosperity, without political or economic barriers between them. In the same work, he also detailed the principles under which such a confederation should work.

Source Merriam Webster Dictionary
    Definition of Latino
    plural Latinos
    1: a native or inhabitant of LatinAmerica
    2: a person of Latin American origin living in the U.S.

Source Merriam Webster Dictionary: a person of Latin American origin living in the U.S. ... : a person born or living in Latin America or of Latin-American origin living in the United States. ...

258. [​IMG]

:D

259. Can you tell me more about that? Have you lived there?

260. I am trading from various locations in Europe. Also from Bulgaria. Only thing you should think about is that it is only interesting for people making at least 500K to 1 million net a year. If not it is financially not interesting. Unless you want to really live and stay there all year (because then you have no travel expenses which I have as I travel around). I used Bulgaria only to create a fully legal and very interesting environment. I had to do the 300K investment for my partner, but the yearly savings on less paid taxes is much higher then 300K (every year over and over again!).

I will send you by PM some information that is (to me at least) very interesting.

261. Добре дошли в България и имайте приятен ден.

262. The first thing a Texan does coming back from a lengthy trip is to get a Mexican food fix.

263. Actually it’s one of those great words I wish we had in English that convey a level of idiocy and jackassery both at the same time. Of course I learned my colloquial Spanish working in the fields as a high schooler so perhaps I'm not as refined a speaker as some.

This is a thread to discuss the pluses and minuses of living in various parts of the world. I’m truly mystified at what you’re point is about the Latins (the term is latinos, not latins, btw. My mistake if that was a spelling error and not my grandmother who indeed calls anyone from south of the border a "latin", and anyone from asia an "oriental" and anyone black a "negro" as some kind of passive aggressive racism she refuses to stop) running to the U.S. and your apparent mystification that U.S. policy and the rhetoric of the current administration would engender less than friendly feelings from Mexicans living in Mexico toward Americans who immigrated to Mexico. If you’ve even visited anywhere in Latin America post Trump it’s clear that there’s a high level of resentment toward the painting of the vast majority of Mexicans and Latinos in general as bad people by what appears to be nearly a majority of Americans. You’ll hear about that as an American in Mexico. Of course you’d have heard resentment from Columbians about Panama for the last 100 years and general mistrust from like U.S. escapades in most places, but it’s a lot more personal and recent now so you’ll see and hear it a lot more. Perhaps I just completely misunderstood your posts, as I said your point is elusive?

264. ROFLMAO

265. :D;)

266. спасибо

267. Please do PM me when you have time. I would like to know more. Thanks.

268. in weekend, too busy now.

269. Obtuse is a good word to use when you just can't find another in that area. And guess what? It is derived from Latin! *runs away*

270. Like I said US policy has NEVER been popular in Mexico but yet they run to the US anyway they can get here..Mexico..CA..SA...Why oh why if US IS SUCH detestable, bigoted, racist, place?

PS I love mexican food. Do you? I have more hispanic friends than white friends. Do you? Are you a LATINO? What about LADINO? MESTIZO? Wanna define those for us. Make sure you spell them right..PC you know.....

I don't just visit Latin America. I have a residence there. LOL.

I've never seen a white negro. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being oriental, black, white, negro, indian....injun ( to some people). We are what we are and we should just be glad to be human and some some dog on a street corner.

Race has nothing to do with Latinos (or latins for your grandmother) running to the US. Neither does race have anything to do with enforcing the border. I promise you if Mexico had 2000 gringos (yes gringos latinos love to use that word btw lol) a day entering their country illegally they would most certainly put a stop to it. It has to do with borders and respecting a countries laws. I didn't go to Honduras illegal. I didn't go or live in Mexico illegal. Nor did I slip into Guatemala illegally at night. I never rode as a stowaway on a ship to Panama. It just happens that the US has a long border with Latin America and they show little respect for our borders or our laws. Canada also has a large border with the USA but we don't seem to have that problem up there, now do we?

People from a progressive political viewpoint (read liberal) seem to always want to make things racist. Stir the pot up.....etc.

Anyway, you will find Europe to not care for gringos either. At least Latinos are more polite. Yes, we are the ugly Americans, at times. But i suspect we have done a few good things in the world.........

Merry Christmas

Bye bye

271. And the true colors come out.

I'll let the thread continue to provide value without this side conversation. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts living in Latin America based on your actual experience living in Latin America since you appear to have some experience there. That would be far more useful than trolling with your thoughts on illegal migrants to the U.S., which has nothing to do with this discussion.

272. I'm not trolling. YOU are the one that stirred the pot up. ROFLMAO. Anyway .... conversation is a waste of time because no progressive is gonna give a hoot anyway...

You have a good Christmas, you hear.

273. @tortoise Hey, what about some of the Scandinavian countries? Spent some time in Norway 20 years ago (on the western coast). Times have changed since then, but cannot be too bad now.

I am thinking Norway, Sweden or Denmark near the major transport hubs to meet your airport requirements. They have the weather and all the other stuff. Yes?

274. Taxes are really high in the Scandavian countries. And Sweden, where I have relatives, is busily self-destructing.

275. Don't they have free health-care over there? So the higher taxes offset the health-care expense?

276. If that's self destruction I'd like some more self destruction! Spent a good part of the summer there this summer, not sure what you're talking about?

277. Not even close.

278. I gather you weren’t in Malmö.

279. So first off, Sweden most certainly has universal health care with a SEK 200 (appx $25 USD) co-pay which is funded by taxes. So yes higher taxes offset your healthcare expense. And while I'm sure you can pull up horror stories about having to wait for a surgery, we can come up with 100 identical stories with people on U.S. health insurance so it is an apples to apples comparison.

Second, the false narrative about Malmö turning into some kind of Muslim hell-hole is exactly that, false by any measure. For example, the murder rate in Malmö, which is the worst in any Nordic city, was 3.4 per 100,000 residents. That's lower than THE ENTIRE US murder rate of 4.9 per 100,000 residents, and lower than the vast majority of U.S. cities. And crime rates in Malmö are little changed from years past. I'd recommend you read this article by National Review (a right leaning publication, just to be clear) in order to see how you've been led astray by the infowars/breitbart/fox crowd (http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...e-rates-statistics-immigration-trump-fox-news) It's also worth noting that the Swedish Democrats are pushing this crime wave narrative for political points as well, and I'd guess what you're hearing from your relatives is colored by this.

Regardless, Sweden is by no means "self destructing" by any stretch of the imagination. A little less hyperbole and a few more facts along with an open mind are always good. And yes, I did spend time in Malmö and found it to be an imminently safe, nice place that I'd have no qualms about moving to with my family. I gather you haven't been to Malmö?

280. Hehe. Well, you can have Boston and it's high taxes and pay for your health care out of your pocket, and have the high-crime rates etc, or live in Sweden with the same stuff, but with less psycho-babble about the Red Sox and NE Patriots.

(I live in the same area. I know what you are on about in that sense.)

Just thinking of other options for you as per your guidelines.

281. Has anybody heard about WINTER in Sweden? Who the f.... I mean family wants that?

" July temperatures in Sweden average 13 to 17°C. February is usually Sweden's coldest month, with temperatures from - 22 to -3°C. In northern Sweden,winter temperatures often drop to -30°C, sometimes even lower."

Oh yeah, there is also something about the Sun not really coming up:

"Southern Sweden never has continuous daylight, though it averages 19 hours of daylight a day in midsummer. In winter, Sweden has similar periods of continuous darkness.

That is 5 hours of daylight according to my calculator during winter months.

282. Yes I was there eight months ago for the first time in 20 years.

Look, I mean no disrespect but the trajectory of the krone over the past 10 years speaks volumes about the problems facing the Swedish economy. It’s also taken on a huge financial burden with its migrant policy.

Setting all that aside, it’s also terrifyingly expensive. Not in rural Smoland, perhaps. But in Stockholm, Gothenberg, I find the housing prices surreal, especially when one considers how peripheral they are in the global economy.

For that money, I’ll take London or Switzerland.

283. The convergence of war on drugs, Nafta and cheap big-ag corn - destroyed biogenetic diversity and livihoods that depended on it.

284. It is expensive, for sure. However a lot of what you pay for in the U.S. is part of that expense, so it's not as bad as you'd first think. It is a hard place to get rich but an easy place to have a high quality of life, so it may well be a poor fit for our self-selected group here on ET. That said, the krone was 9/$ when I was there in 2009, and 8/$ when I was there this summer, so while the krone/$ exchange rate isn't exactly the best indicator of a country's economy, even if it was that would indicate the economy is stronger now than a decade ago. The Swedish economy is big enough that migrant's aren't actually coming anywhere close to tanking it, again that's a Breitbart/Swedish Democrats meme that doesn't comport with the actual numbers. I'd agree with Pekelo that the dark sucks, having lived in Alaska as well I'm not fond of that. And if you don't like cold it's not for you.

285. Just a thought on this thread, but why would someone try to correct or inform the reactionary Americans who are xenophobic, uncultured, and ignorant?

I mean, do you want to change their opinions so they move nearer you?

Leave them to live in the hate belt. Enjoy the rest of the world and the rest of America (which is downright charming).

286. Americans I've encountered in Europe are fairly content and don't feel mistreated in any way. Then again, these are intelligent guys with interesting personalities. If you're insecure and sensitive about your country, don't bother going.

287. Point taken!

288. I think information is good. I have no idea who is “xenophobic, uncultured, and ignorant” on this thread, but I like to assume the best about everyone and proceed on that basis.

289. Taken where?

290. We reading the same thread? :)

I like to assume the best too, but my assumptions are fragile and shatter with evidence to the contrary.

291. Well in that case those of us who are open to learning benefit from hearing the voices of reason.

292. To the bank!

Actually I was agreeing that @beerntrading had a good point, I was the primary guilty party he was gently referring to, and I'll try the do a better job ignoring the trolls.

293. Actually, it wasn't anyone in particular...(I don't think, was a few beers deep when I wrote that one). Nor was it really meant as an admonishment against engaging those types. And I agree with @tortoise's sentiment and your posts were informative and welcomed. So, my apologies for overlooking the explicit point in my post while making the implicit one.

I've found there's really friendly people just about everywhere I've visited, and those same places have plenty of jerks too. The key is to find the friendly ones, or learn how to engage those who don't necessarily tip their hand to their friendliness.

A phrase book and a little effort on my part made all the difference between Paris being a stereotype I hated to visit, and a really friendly place that I absolutely loved.

294. Kettle calls the pot :)

295. Maybe consider Greece.Safe as it gets and you will find real estate at historic lows right now.You can chill and trade European markets in the morning,US at noon!Weather is quite warm too.If you like even warmer climate look into Cyprus.You won't regret your choice either way

296. According to UN projections, Sweden will be a much poorer country by 2030, much worse than what anyone in the Swedish government indicates.

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/...rd-world-country-by-2030-according-to-un.html

297. If anyone is looking for a venture to do with trading they might consider starting an hotel devoted to traders. Picking up the losers and celebrating with the winners.
    But again where should that hotel be ?
    I fancy Greece for its climate and amenities.

299. Sweden goes from a HDI of 0.949 in 2010 to a projected HDI of 0.906 in 2030, one of the few Western countries for which a decline is forecasted and a level at which Sweden will join of the likes of Libya et al. You don't have to be a genius to understand where this development comes from.

300. Malta is pretty good climate wise but politically.........
    You risk being murdered if you criticize the establishment.
    A local critic, a woman journalist, was the latest victim recently.

301. Some fancy Bulgaria.
    But it is considered by many to be the most corrupt country in Europe.
    The local mafia would probably be around to make a collection

302. Where do you get proof of this statement? How can they know your trading income?

303. Lol! You've found another, very different planet, with another, very different Malta, I think. :p

304. He's the new Christoffel Columbus. He found Bulgaria on that planet too... :D

305. I don't know anything about Bulgaria, but conspicuous consumption anywhere is a good indicator of relative success. I imagine if you drove a Lada and lived in a Soviet style apartment block you'd be fine. But what's the fun in that!

306. Bulgarians, what the hell do they know. Romania is where it's at. Vampires and what-not. And definitely not the old Yugoslavia, just look at their cars!

Woot! Go go Northern Slavs!

307. That's clear to me. If you dig deep enough Bulgaria can be interesting. There are quite a lot exoctic cars in Bulgaria. Lambo's Ferraris, AMG... Not all people drive Lada's.

Ukraine is also a very poor country. But I have never seen more AMG's driving around then in Kiev.
    And in Kiev - Zhulyany the private jets are parked in rows. I have seen and been on about 30 different airports all around Europe but never saw this amount of private jets on 1 airport.

308. Chill brudda! No doubt there's plenty of expensive cars and jets in Bulgaria. Those are things you have if you want to signal that you're rich. As was pointed out, signaling that you're rich in a place where the rule of law is weak may not be your best bet, that's all.

309. Sadly true
    www.pressgazette.co.uk/political-murder-panama-papers-reporter...

310. I'm very well aware of the story, thanks.

But to draw from one person's killing the conclusion that "You risk being murdered if you criticize the establishment" in Malta is beyond ridiculous.

311. I told you should dig deep enough in the Bulgarian fiscal and administrative regulations. Then you will see that it offers better opportunities then even Monaco. I know people who lived "safely" in Monaco, but lost millions as their fiscal construction was rejected by their native country as well as by Monaco! So there is a huge fiscal insecurity overthere.

You can officially live in Bulgaria and pay 10% taxes while never being there. You can even take their nationality without ever being there nor speaking their language. You can live anywhere (South of France, Italy, Spain...) without ever having any problem. And in this way you eliminate the risk of criminal acts and corruption.

Similar situation for all the Russians who live in London but offical live in Russia or somewhere else in the former USSR.

You can always find proof on internet for any statement you make. Like this one: http://billmoyers.com/2015/11/27/co...ndemic-in-america-as-in-developing-countries/

How many rich Americans pay a fortune on security for themselves and their relatives? Corruption and criminality is not a monopoly of Bulgaria.

312. No doubt, like I said, chill. Someone asked how organized crime would know your trading profits and I pointed out a way. That is all. Out.

313. It is a good indicator for who is or works for the maffia. :)

314. What about MontreaL?

315. Considering how fiscal residency is established in France and Spain, I don't understand how you could live there full time while paying a 10% flat tax in Bulgaria without ever having any problem from local tax authorities. I'm sure curious to learn more but at first sight the set up looks dodgy.
    As of Italy their flat tax of 100k euro a year for a single person, and 120k for a couple sounds great, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work for traders.

316. Some years ago we went to Gozo by ferry. Although the travel company had given us tickets we were forced to pay extra in cash to board. It was past midnight and raining so we paid up.

317. To my knowledge this is the only country where it is possible. Don't compare Bulgaria with France or Spain, as this is like comparing apples with oranges.

I know it works but have no interest in publishing it. If too many people go that road it might be closed under pressure of Europe. Daytrading, even at a professional level and with considerable profits are taxed at 10%. I know from personal experience. There is a cost for all this but if you make real money this cost is many times smaller than the taxes you should pay elsewhere.

The Italian option can be a solution too. Depends from your personal situation. But you have to really go to Italy and live there. In Bulgaria this is not required. Might make a big difference depending on your personal situation.

318. I think you're missing the point. It really has nothing to do with Bulgaria. If you live in France all year and make $1,000,000 Euro's, the French tax man is going to ask you to pay tax to France. If you tell him, "no, I'm a Bulgarian, I don't need to pay you any tax" he's going to either:
    a. If you don't have the proper residency permits or citizenship to live and work in France, kick you out, while still charging you your French tax bill.
    b. If you have permission to live and work in France, tell you tough shit, you can be Bulgarian all you want but you still owe French tax on money earned while living in France.

319. Don't want to go in details but will answer you short:
    • I live officially in Bulgaria but have another nationality. If I reside in other countries it is temporary without any registration. I am a tourist.
    • I am fulltime trader and have no other job nor properties, bank accounts... in any other country.
    • I have no official address outside of Bulgaria.
    • I can travel freely and unlimited thru all Europe. Can even trade 10 days from France, 25 from Italy, 7 from Spain...
    • I have written confirmation from European organisms that ALL my trading income is taxed in Bulgaria as long as I follow the international tax rules (tax treaties between countries). See link below for capital, but exist also for people.
    • As I only need internet I am very flexible and can work from any place on earth.

So your point a and also b are irrelevant as I don't need any document to visit or even work in France. I don't work there anyway. And even if I would work there, if it is in function of my Bulgarian company it will be taxed in Bulgaria, never in France. Check taxtreaties between Bulgaria and France to understand why. I never register oin any other country as living there.

On top of that in Europe all people can live and work without any working permit all over Europe (or at least over most countries) For example Bulgarians can work and live in Europe (even not being within Schengen) without visa or working permit. The same applies for France as it is a European law. So your working permit does not exist. And if it would exist it would not change anything for me as I don't work.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyourservice/en/displayFtu.html?ftuId=FTU_2.1.3.html

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457&langId=en

320. If you spent the entire year living in France and had a million euros in trading income, good luck convincing the French tax authorities that you didn't earn any/all of that in France!

321. You clearly did not read what I wrote. Or you absolute want to be right and showing me wrong. Even in extreme absurdity.

I never wrote that I lived an entire year in France. I never live anywhere for an entire year. I experience every day over and over again the advantage of being a trader.

Case closed for me.

France once tried to tax Johhny Debb as he spent (in past) a lot of time in the South of France. They were never able to tax him as his official residence was not in France. That was a huge problem to overcome.

322. Well earlier you said you could live the entire year in a country, and even in you last post you couldn't seem to figure out if you needed to hop between countries every 90 days or could just use your Schengen citizenship to stay in France all year. The bottom line is that you can't live in France, or Spain all year and claim that all your income is taxable in Bulgaria and not the place you lived when you earned it. I'm glad we agree on that.
    Now, let's say you're one of the few people who are happy to hop from country to country every 90 days all your life to pay less tax and have a family situation that will tolerate that. This is really no different from a legal perspective than living in one country all year, it's just more obfuscated and difficult from an enforcement perspective. If, as you said multiple times you didn't spend a day in Bulgaria, you earned that income while physically in another country. Under the laws of that country you owe tax to that country on the income you earned while physically there. That's been well established through case law and some cute sea lawyer explanation that you actually made the money in Bulgaria because you routed your orders through a broker there, or you were really just a tourist, or anything else really, isn't going to cut it. You can't live in 4 places over the course of a year and tell each one that you earned your million euros in a 5th place you never set foot in during that year. Or like I said, you can try it but good luck.
    There's a big difference between doing something legally and doing something that's difficult to trace and you may not get caught for. I don't judge you for the latter, just don't confuse yourself into thinking you're doing the former. Or even worse get someone else to take a risk they're not aware they're taking.

323. I just got back from Marbella, Spain. I wore shorts all week over christmas!

324. Not true, depends of the circumstances. My physical presence is, depending of the case and situation, even not relevant. Not the physical presence is important; imporant is form where is the management controlling everything. If I have a company in which an employee is managing everything, that will define where the taxation should happen. So not the physical presence is important but the place from where the business is managed. If it is personal money you are right if it is company money you are wrong. Personal as well as company pay flat 10%, so what money you use makes no difference taxwise. I have, and use, both. I do nothing illegal. Just optimize according the circumstances. And even trading occasionally in another country can never lead to a taxation. In most cases the 183 days rule is applied.

I think i did say that you can do it without living in Bulgaria. Not that I never go there. I have my domicile and other things in Bulgaria so I go there every now and then. I have to.

People should always take profesional advice. I told there are possibilities and you should dig deep. Deeper than we discuss here now. But I don't want to divulge more. I gave a hint, the rest they have to do themselves with professional help.

325. Of course there is NO tax to pay for UK residents. The brokers pay the tax.

326. I believe you'd only get in trouble if you stayed in France (example) for more than 181/183 days or 6 months in one year. Otherwise you're like any other tourist who opens his laptop to briefly do some work - tax man won't touch that.

327. It depends on the country and how hard they'd press him. They'd look at where he spent most of his time, then residence, then bills and anything else that can confirm he actually stayed in the country where he paid tax. If he says he spent most of his time in Bulgaria but France has some sort of proof that he stayed mostly in France, that can actually end not well. Best not to underestimate the tax collectors.

328. I wonder how they know how long I am in France? They should also first have something that brings me under their attention. They cannot check every person walking around in France. There are no borders and no control as long as you don't take a plane or an international train. And how can they find out how much money I make, and where I make it? I can proof that I have enough money in my savings accounts for the rest of my life.
    I never stay 183 days a year in any country. So the only country that can tax me is Bulgaria.
    If I am right the 183 days rule is only valid for people who are employed; self employed people don't have to care about this rule. Not 100% sure but fairly sure.

Found this:
    Based on article 15 of the OECD Model Convention, the remuneration of a seconded employee is in principle taxed in the country where the work is actually exercised. However, the right of taxation remains with the country of residence if the employee:
    • is not present in the working state more than 183 days; and
    • the salary is not borne by a PE of the employer in the working country; and
    • the salary is paid by an employer, or on behalf of an employer, who is not resident in the working country.
    Even if the above conditions are met, the employee’s remuneration may still be taxed in the working country if the company in the working country qualifies as the “economic employer”. Under the economic approach, important criteria for assuming an economic employment are:
    • the employee is integrated into the business of the host entity;
    • the employee is under the control of that entity;
    • the activities of the employee form part of the business of the host entity;
    • the risks of the activities are borne by this employer.

329. As I've said all along, just don't confuse something legal with something illegal but that you're unlikely to be caught at. When you start asking the above questions you're tacitly admitting that if they knew what you were doing, they'd give you a tax bill.

330. From where I'm from in the EU this is not the case. All income is taxed, salaries and capital gains the same way and the residency rules are the same. Typically as self-employed you're still considered an employee, they're just interested on how much you make and that they get their share.

331. A bit sad when you consider the politicians will probably waste your hard earned tax money on more weapons.