Looking to get excel, 2013 vs 2016?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Metamega, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Metamega

Metamega

Looking to you guys for some advice on excel. I haven't used Excel in years but did some Microsoft Office courses in school, which was quite some time ago now.
    I'm currently learning to use Amibroker and am having a blast learning their AFL language.

Reason for looking for excel is that

A. Looking to keep a good digitial record of my trades and to possibly use this data for some analysis. Right now I write it in a journal I have since my brokers format can get a little confusing to sift through. Plus I like writing/typing it out. Makes me think a little about each trade after.

B. Some basic probability studies. Nothing fancy and from what I've found I can easily do some of the stuff I want to do in Excel. No backtesting really, I leave that to Amibroker.

C. Record keeping for some of my jobs I do on weekends. A friend and I are both electricians and have a little business. Time to start keeping better track of our projects.

So if I get Excel 2016, am I going to want to shoot myself with how different it is? Most guides and such that I've read work off the old Excel 2013. Is their any benefit of 2016? Maybe it runs better? I know 2013 has its limitations especially with any sort of large dataset. Most of what I've seen other traders do with Excel, their pushing the program to its limits.

Looking to you guys, I'm assuming theirs a good mix of full time traders and/or some part time traders like myself that maybe work in a office environment and are use to this software.

Thanks in advance for any post.

2. You should be aware that MSFT silently made a change in Excel 2013 that cause many add-ins to stop working properly. For that reason, I stick with Excel 2010.
    Who knows what change 2016 will bring !
    Add-ins are a big part of Excel as they can extend functionality or actually provide mini-apps for you.

xandman likes this.
  3. I have excel 2016. Not much of a difference, IMO.

4. Autodidact

Autodidact

I went MSFT nuts this year.

Bought stock, visual studio pro, office 365, replaced dropbox with one drive, got surface book, you name it.

Ballmer, good riddance, long live new CEO Gandhi

5. benwm

benwm

I still have Excel 2007. Would there be any advantage (speed etc) "upgrading" to Excel 2016 compared to 2007?

6. In my experience there are many things that work perfectly in Excel 2010, but that fail in alarming ways in Excel 2013. So much so that I removed 2013 and reverted back to 2010.

When 2016 came out, I figured that these problems HAD to have been fixed. Instead, I can't honestly even tell you of any meaningful difference between Excel 2013 and Excel 2016. They're so similar that they both exhibit the same crippling software errors for me, across 4 different operating systems (Win7,Win8,Win8.1,Win10) and 6 different computers of various types. (off topic - every last one of the components of Office is buggier & worse in 2013 and 2016 than in 2010)

Excel is the gold standard for roll-your-own financial analysis, portfolio management (remember, I said "roll-your-own", and even for some level of trading automation.

But there has never yet, at least not to-date, been a better version than 2010, in my opinion. I bought a replacement new copy of 2010 at Amazon, an original, honest-to-goodness CD of Office Home & Business, in the Microsoft packaging, for about $150.

7. userque

userque

Just installed 2016 today. I haven't done much more than the basics yet, but so far, seems essentially the same.

I assume some things were fixed. I did notice one small bug was fixed regarding seeing the cursor when first opening the Search/Replace Box, for example.

I am looking forward to playing with the all new FORECAST function.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...5e5-bfdc-60a7062329fd?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

[​IMG]

8. benwm

benwm

Is 2016 much faster than previous versions? I still have 2008, running on Windows 7, and am considering an upgrade to 2016.

9. birzos

birzos

Running Office 2010, they changed it so you cannot run Office on more than one computer so either need to buy multiple copies or move to Office 365, which is what most are doing. Office 2010 works perfectly well, but you probably also want to look at the 365 offering. In reality the newer versions are not much different so it's swings and roundabouts!

10. userque

userque

I don't notice any speed difference compared to 2013. I don't recall how 2010 and prior compared.

Apparently, there were some performance improvements added since 2010 that you may want to consider:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff700514(v=office.14).aspx

General:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-Windows-5fdb9208-ff33-45b6-9e08-1f5cdb3a6c73

#10     Jul 6, 2016
    benwm likes this.