Looking to collaborate with a fellow systematic trader

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by SteveM, May 7, 2021.

1. SteveM

SteveM

Hey everyone. I've been involved in the markets for 12 years, and have been seriously attempting to make a living out of the market for the last 5 years. After some serious frustration with my own discretionary efforts, I decided to switch to a fully systematic approach, and I'm happy to report that I have been profitable for the last 13 months. Being that the financial markets are my sole source of income, I spend a considerable amount of my time backtesting strategies, tracking strategies, and trading my own strategies. I eat, breathe, and sleep the financial markets.

I am reaching out here in hopes of finding someone in a similar situation to mine: a systematic trader, who relies on the markets for the entirety of their income (and therefore has to approach it with a certain intensity like I do), in hopes that we can collaborate and maybe help push one another to the "next level" of our trading through the sharing and implementation of different ideas. I am an open book, and don't mind sharing the strategies I am using...assuming I get something back in return from your end.

I've tried to form these types of collaborative relationships before, but with little success - I guess maybe trading is truly a solitary endeavor like they say it is...I have no interest in joining a trading chatroom as I find little value in them.

Anyway, if anyone is reading this and would like to collaborate, feel free to shoot me a private message.

fan27 and qlai like this.
  2. could you explain what your strategies are in general and leave out any secrets?

it is hard to find someone to collaborate.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  3. That is a nice result. However, markets have only been going up since the Covid dip in early 2020. Things that worked in the last year might not continue to work going forward.

guru likes this.
  4. deaddog

deaddog

What market?
    What type of trading?

qlai likes this.
  5. toucan

toucan

Steve... are you a daytrader and do you trade futures?

thanks
    toucan

6. SteveM

SteveM

You are certainly right about that. The thing is, the reason I've been making money over the last 13 months is because I have been 100% systematic in my approach, not because of the market conditions. That stuff I've backtested has been working for 10 years, and my results over the last 13 months have roughly mirrored what my testing says I should have expected. I have no doubt that I would still be unprofitable actively trading if I were letting my "thinking" dictate my approach. But your point does stand in the sense that I need to constantly be looking for new edges in the markets to remain profitable over the long run, hence my desire to collaborate with others and build upon what I have.

Concepts similar to stuff presented in the past by guys like Tony Crabel and Larry Williams, with some modifications on my end to adapt to current markets. The real breakthrough for me has been in finally understanding the role of expectancy and money management. A system that will turn $10K into $40K in 5 years, will suddenly turn that $10K into $600K in 5 years if the right type of money management is applied. Obviously, there is a lot to consider like liquidity, slippage, competing algos, etc, but the value of money management cannot be understated.

90% stocks & ETFs, 10% futures....I'd like to expand further into futures and options, but right now I am just focusing on what has been working lately and riding that as far as it will take me.

In a sense, yes, as I close most positions at the end of the NYSE session, but in another sense no, as I am not making discretionary trading decisions during the trading day. The less I think, the better my results seem to be. I'd like to move more into futures as I test more thoroughly.

7. QTrader20

QTrader20

Let me know once you achieve the same result with trading ES or NQ with a minimum of 2 contracts or more. I only day trade these two instruments by using at least 3 to 10 lots per trade and I trade several account at the same time.

8. deaddog

deaddog

I swing trade stocks, mostly Canadian (home country bias) with a fairly simple system. I make money in a bull market and sit out the bear.

qlai likes this.
  9. why do you need to trade several accounts at the same time?

10. Just start a journal. Then you have the advantage of multiple collaborators

HAT

#10     May 15, 2021