Looking for old 5-minute charts

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by SteveM, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SteveM

SteveM

Does anyone know where I can find free (preferably) historical 5-minute bar/candlestick charts? S&Ps, crude, bonds, currencies, stocks - anything will do.

Thanks in advance.

2. SteveM

SteveM

Thanks, Stocktracker - although I should have specified that I'm looking for old charts....before year 2000.

3. algofy

algofy

I've seen this request for old charts a number of times on ET, what is the draw for way out of date charts?

4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

He/She wants to back-test and likely curve-fit.

5. algofy

algofy

I get that but you don't need 17+ year old data to do that :)

6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

More data allows more back-testing and more rule creation.

7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Keep in mind--Forward testing is what is really the best teacher.

SunTrader and algofy like this.
  8. SteveM

SteveM

I've been losing money for the past 8 years, but recently have become pretty consistently profitable, trading intraday off of 5-minute charts.

The prevailing thought is that "algos have killed the daytrader," but I've actually been wondering lately if the algorithmic trading is actually helping me make money (i.e., I've found a trading style compatible with today's markets.)

Another prevailing thought is that "markets are constantly changing"...so my natural concern is that perhaps my trading style would not work 5 years from now...I think taking a look at a few months of 5-minute charts from the 80s/90s will fairly quickly confirm if what I'm doing today would have worked back then, and then would hopefully work in the future as well as a result.

9. algofy

algofy

Cool that all makes sense. Good luck in your search, did you find what you were looking for?

#10     Apr 25, 2017