Looking for capital

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by seanyboy, Aug 2, 2018.

1. seanyboy

seanyboy

I am looking for investment capital. I trade with $100,000, use IB, and for the last nine months I have a 9.00% return with a 3.13 Sharpe ratio. I use a mostly rules based style and work almost exclusively with SPY and QQQ's. Any thoughts?

2. southall

southall

Perhaps trade ES and NQ instead of SPY and QQQ.
    You will have about 10x the buying power for your 100K, would be like trading 1M.

vanzandt, VPhantom, Eldredge and 4 others like this.
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

Due diligence below and do you have backup in place for catastrophic events?
    • Avg Gross Overnight Exposure:
    • Total # Trades:
    • Win %:
    • Win / Loss Ratio :
    • AVG% P&L Per Trade:
    • Volatility: Avg > ?
    • Beta:
    • % Winning Months:
    • % Wining Days:
    • Avg Winning Days to Avg Losing Days Ratio:
    • P&L Contribution from:
      • Mean Reversion Strategies:
      • Momentum Strategies:
    also are you achieving positive slippage on fills if not what is your plan to trade size?

m

ElectricSavant and fan27 like this.
  4. Congrats on the good risk numbers.

IB gives about 10x leverage for SPY and possibly QQQ if you upgrade to a portfolio margin account. I think you might need $125k to request that upgrade.

5. ehsmama

ehsmama

Best way to get Investment Capital is to increase your return.

6. seanyboy

seanyboy

to southall and MoreLeveage: thx for your comments
    my results are from rarely ever using leverage and the most I would likely use is 2x

to MarkBrown:
    thx as well,
    no catastrophic plan - if S&P is crashing we are all in this together, per the system, I can access my platform from numerous ways
    avg gross o/n is low given I am not always involved per the rules and little leverage use
    winning months =7, 2 = losing months
    winning days = 145, losing days = 49
    size and slippage should not be an issue because only looking for $20 million

7. That line tends to imply that you are making money in a bullish market only and when market is going higher. When market is dropping you take the losses like everyone else... except a good trader makes money in a market no matter the trend/direction and does not just take losses as being in the same boat as everyone else if the market crashes.

Over past 9 months I think QQQs are up 15-16% so you are behind the overall market. I am a businessman and you are offering me an investment in you with below market returns in a strong bull market which means someone passively putting the same money in with no effort made more than you, and no strategy that accounts for the market crash that is always likely to come. And you are looking for someone to give you $20 million....

Time for reality to set in.....there is no free money out there waiting to be thrown at you because of a 9 month track record that falls short of someone's unmanaged IRA.

8. trader99

trader99

Epicurus likes this.
  9. seanyboy

seanyboy

ElOchoCinco - catastrophic is not the same as dropping in my opinion, catastrophic implies systems are down, not a market sell off. And to your point the market has not really been a short in the last nine months..So yes, I catch most of the upside relative to the S&P and my downside deviation is small. When a crash comes I will not be long. Thx for your thoughts.

10. I don’t think this applies here, and that guy is super pessimistic. OP is trading SPY for crying out loud, it’s not like he’s going to have scale or liquidity problems.

The big question is how representative is the past nine months of OPs trading. If he can trade SPY with 12% annual returns (9% in 9 months) and with a Sharpe 3, he will do just fine for himself. With a couple years track record and over a variety of market conditions, he’ll be able to raise institutional money.

In the meanwhile, I’d recommend he use more leverage to increase his profits. You can’t eat Sharpe 3, but you can cheaply get extra leverage to enhance returns while keeping the absolute level of volatility manageable.

#10     Aug 2, 2018