Looking for Advice on Entering and Exiting a Moving Average Trigger

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by marshg, May 14, 2021.

1. marshg

marshg

Hi:
    I'm using a VIX cross over (20 day and 7 day) to buy or sell the SPY. Ideally, I wouldn't be trading it a lot, but at times the trigger is hit and then VIX bounces above and below the cross over point. Would love to hear your experience about the best way to handle this without bouncing around? I assume one way is to use closing prices , but do you have other suggestions? And when trading closing prices, do you buy at the end of the day or at the opening the next day? Any helpful insights would be much appreciated.
    thanks,

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. FTDK

FTDK

Why did you create the exact same thread twice?

3. The question was THAT important. :)

4. marshg

marshg

no, because I'm rusty and put in the wrong place (technical) initially and am embarrassed to say that I couldn't figure out how to fully delete it. If you can tell me how to delete the first one, will happily.

Axon and murray t turtle like this.
  5. %%
    Several solutions, marsh, including but not limited to;
    [1] Learn to earn/ dividends/spy dividends...............................................................................
    [2] Closing prices are best, since ALL have voted; but open prices make a good early diversification :caution::caution:
    [3]ANOTHER GOOD TRADE is trade some of your US dollars for some SPY charts\long term monthly candlecharts.......................................................................EVER done that trade???,? Among the BEST risk reward there is.Amen IF you ever collect spy dividends you will not be so jumpy.
    [4]
    I still remember[printed charts] when SPY topped for many years in $150 area.
    [404] MOST gaps are not from 4 to 404/LOL but good buys @ SPY 404 area/noticed that50 day moving average area??
    I cant think of any good reason to trade vix on a spy trade/its not rocket science.[I trade SPY + SPXL........ but even those 2 are VERY, very different]
    Ken calhoun uses VIX as an outright trade i think; VIX +related looks nothing like a spy chart.
    Close price = end of day or earlier/next day = open price. Good questions, marsha50.

marshg likes this.
  6. Girija

Girija

Have you seen what the chart looks like when shorter MA crosses longer MA. Chart it and see what you should do. Then test your actions using data.
    Many such strategies look good in theory but won't work in reality.

murray t turtle and marshg like this.
  7. %%
    7 week or 7day ma could work if not used in a mindless mechanical way.
    But MOST anything could work in an uptrending bull market.
    I dont care if he asked the same question twice, i repeat/repeat intentional/markets do that also.......,..

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    marshg likes this.
  8. marshg

marshg

clever :)

9. easymon1

easymon1

10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I'm a big fan of whatever the reasons that got you into a trade...

Some of those reasons should be part of what gets you out of a trade. You have any chart examples of what you're referring to as "bouncing around" ???

wrbtrader

#10     May 21, 2021
    marshg likes this.