Laptop Mouse Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silver914, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I'm playing with a minor annoyance...laptop mouse buttons don't work properly, but sporadically. The machine starts up okay and all is nice, then out of the blue the mouse buttons quit working correctly. Tried it with three different mice. Same story with the touch pad. Did an uninstall of the driver...still no joy. Did a system restore...nada.

So, I swapped out the HDD. Thinking I needed to narrow it down to hardware or software. I thought for sure it would be hardware, but to my surprise the alternative HDD is working perfectly.

So now I gotta reformat the one that's buggy. I'm not big at using the registry and trying to locate a bad command line or whatever, so for me it's easier to just re install an OS etc. Any alternative suggestions are welcome.

2. Two suggestions:

See if you can find a different driver, even if it is an older version, and see how that works.

When it's acting up, try a usb mouse and see if it has the same problem.

3. I've had the mouse go flaky on me before too. Tried everything I could think of... ended up reinstalling OS.

4. What I haven't done is download a completely different driver. I have uninstalled it and of course it reinstalls when you restart. I have also slipped in an alternate HDD. At first the alternate HDD was doing great, then it started doing the same thing. So although I really wanted it to be a driver issue...I don't think it is. I even uninstalled the whole USB stack and the keyboard.

I tried the USB mouse already...no joy.

I am thinking it's a conflict with programs installed. Say between Firefox and Explorer...you know how MS likes to play games. Or perhaps Adobe...so I keep checking to make sure all programs are up to date. Right now it's working as intended. I'm just waiting and watching to see what sets it off.

5. If the second hard drive had not gone and done the same thing I would have been satisfied and reformatted the one that's buggy...but having it go out on two separate HDDs? It's either a conflict with programs installed or I'm thinking a hardware issue...mouse assy (I have a spare) or perhaps a MB/ but I would expect a complete failure if it was a MB. Someone else suggested disassembling and cleaning...that could be it, but I don't know...something just tells me it's in the software.

6. You're not going to want to hear this, but I have heard of mobo's developing a defect which causes errant mouse problems. I didn't want to say that until you eliminated other possibilities. Good luck with your situation. A fucked up mouse is really distracting and irritating.

7. You're not going to want to hear this, but I have heard of mobo's developing a defect which causes errant mouse problems. I didn't want to say that until you eliminated other possibilities. Good luck with your situation. A fucked up mouse is really distracting and irritating.

8. I thought of that too. Was the 2nd HDD an Image or Clone of the first? If so, same problem could be on both.

9. If it's the motherboard that's fine. I have extensive experience tearing down and building back up laptops. It's surprising what skills you develop when you want to. Now small shit like phones and cameras drive me crazy!

The last set of updates I have done are the "optional" ones on Windows Update. It's been just about 24 hours now with no sign of any issues and I have a considerable load on the cpu. We shall see. I'm not out of options just yet.

10. 2nd HDD was a new Scorpio 320 from WD and formatted in the laptop with the original OS discs from Dell. OS was up to date...but i have not put any of the "optional" updates in the "custom" menu on. I usually don't like to do the optional updates because more often than not it screws it all up.

If I have succeeded in deleting the problem from the original HDD then it will be interesting to compare the two and find out where the problem is. My finger is pointing at Microsoft right now. I remember a similar issue between Adobe and Explorer last year.

#10     Nov 21, 2011