July VIX futures @ 5.40 - Have nice weekend

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cdntrader, Jul 4, 2014.

1. tom_czr

tom_czr

Not only VXN4, but whole term structure is 5.40 or 5.20 ...
    http://vixcentral.com/

All datafeeds like TOS, IB and free delayed datafeeds I have checked have such prices.
    Probably some "holiday bug"... and if it is no bug and it will be possible to trade with such prices on monday, then I have probably pretty nice position with huuuuge open profit :cool:
    Anyway I don't expect VX term structure to stay like it is now...

2. Well the futures open on Sunday just got a whole lot more interesting.

3. tom_czr

tom_czr

Have you (somebody) taken some positions in those f***ing cheap VX futs? :D

4. I tried, but couldn't get one on IB or TOS.

5. How many here think this is a bug or other serious issue or a real quote?
    I'm not sure who'd sell you those futures if all other markets are closed and you'd have a hard time putting on any type of hedge.

6. Yikes...it does say last sale....who would actually sell at that price? I can understand buying......but fat finger?

7. VolArb

VolArb

VIX futures didn't even trade today in observance of Independence Day. It's pretty obvious this is just bad data, and nobody's there today to straighten it out.

8. tom_czr

tom_czr

Bad data? So probably also bad volume :D

I have heard from friend of mine that one guy managing serious amount of money forgot to switch off his VIX Futures ATS and because markets were not moving (holiday), its ATS "calculated" that fair VIX Fut price is supposed to be just little bit above 5 :D
    This guy is probably in serious trouble now - he realized what has happened and now nobody can't find him, his cell phone is off... who knows if this story is true... ;-)

#10     Jul 5, 2014