It's Nice To Have The Press Correcting Your Mistakes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Feb 26, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

In an interview with Good Morning America’s Robin Roberts aired this morning, First Lady Michelle Obama recalled the tragic death of 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton who was shot and killed in Chicago after performing during the President’s Inauguration celebration in Washington D.C.

“She was caught in the line of fire because some kids had some automatic weapons they didn’t need,” the First Lady explained. “I just don’t want to keep disappointing our kids in this country. I want them to know that we put them first.”

Chicago police reported, however, that Pendleton was shot by a man who “opened fire with a handgun before fleeing in a waiting car.”

It is extremely unlikely that the murder weapon was an automatic handgun, an extremely rare occurrence, even in the streets of Chicago. An overwhelming majority of handguns bought and sold in America are semi-automatic. Police officials have not recovered the firearm, but prosecutors stated that the accused attacker shot “at least six times” into the crowd.

For the broadcast, ABC’s Good Morning America producers edited out the First Lady’s “automatic weapon” line.

"She was standing out in a park with her friends in a neighborhood blocks away from where my kids grow – grew – up, where our house is. <s>She had just taken a chemistry test.</s> And she was caught in the line of fire <s>because some kids had some automatic weapons they didn’t need</s>. I just don’t want to keep disappointing our kids in this country. I want them to know that we put them first."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2522593

2. Well, the MSM also edits for republicans too, just not quite the same way.
    http://freebeacon.com/msnbc-uses-selectively-edited-video-to-smear-mccain/

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow ran with KTVK’s segment during her show Thursday night, sarcastically saying that McCain’s use of the phrase “straight talk” led to “boisterous” applause from the senator’s constituents.

Maddow admits, “Obviously there was an edit between the end of the woman’s question and the part where John McCain sneers the straight talk line at her. So maybe that edit was cut in a way that’s not fair to John McCain. Maybe he wasn’t in real time so insensitive and abrasive, to a woman who probably deserves some sensitivity when she is talked to about these matters.”

Maddow is right. The edit was “cut in a way that’s not fair to John McCain.” In “real time” McCain was not “so insensitive and abrasive to a woman who deserves” as much.

Unfortunately, Maddow did not feel it was necessary to play the full video for her viewers.