Is this a decent area to stay in NYC for six months?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bugenhagen, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

My wife needs to go to New York for some courses and we have the offer of an apartment my mom's family own in Brooklyn located around here (map marker). The courses will be in central Manhattan.

Tenant is vacating in March so we have six months on tourist visas to experience NYC life. I have not been there since I was a kid and even then mostly passing through from Montauk where the family have a place I visited some summers.

Its fairly big, 1600 square feet and nominal rent however though its a bird in the hand and all, money is not a problem so we could rent elsewhere. I just don't have a clue if this is a good location to live in or its an annoying, not quite anywhere special or convenient for anything good place.

Anyone from NY can give a perspective? Would it be alright as a base or better to try and get on Manhattan itself of travelling in and out to central Manhattan everyday?

Screenshot_20220117_135050_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  2. nope, I lived in NYC for 1X years,haven't been there lately

I would try Greenpoint,maybe North Side or Bensonhurst somewhere

It would be safer in Carroll Gardens where still live some Italians and is quiet area than Park Slope,drug dealers in every park there

Make sure you go to Woodside Queens that where all the Irish live, besides Woodlawn Heights in the Bronx.

Back in a days i lived in Ozone Park Queens not too far from John Gotti's house, 5 min walk.Once i ended up watching basketball NBA playoff in their Pub ,i had no clue i was glued to TV anyway and nobody paid any attention to me

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Bugenhagen likes this.
  3. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

4. Overnight

Overnight

I haven't been in Brooklyn for 25 years, but that looks to be around Park Slope (Prospect Park gives it away). I remember having decent memories of that area, and assuming it has not changed, it would be fine. Plus you get easy access to the F line which is a fun one.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  5. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Well we live in MedellĂ­n Colombia, the ex murder capitol of the world so I don't worry about safe as much as fun / interesting I guess.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look at those areas.

6. mervyn

mervyn

That is in between park slope and gowanus, it is family neighborhood, easy walk to subway, definitely safe, and easy for grocery shopping.

Bugenhagen likes this.