is retail forex basically a CFD?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by lentus, Aug 5, 2019.

1. lentus

lentus

???

2. Nobert

Nobert

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  3. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

A contract for difference (CFD) is a synthetic financial product based on another security, commodity or index. It's a contract that the broker creates, that both parties agree to so that you can trade movements in real financial instruments and profit and loss from the difference. Unless a broker explicitly states it's a CFD product, any FX trade you make is usually a real FX transaction executed in the FX market.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
    expiated likes this.
  4. lentus

lentus

Braaa haha. Do you think retail traders have trade executed in "the FX market?" AT BEST, usually if you are A-Book, the broker hedges their counterparty trade against you on the real fx market. How is this different than CFD, really?

p0box4 likes this.
  5. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

If you make money, who's complaining?

6. What I know is that when you trade Forex, you buy and own the actual instrument. With CFDs you don't own anything, it's pure speculation. Based on that trading retail is not a CFD.

Bullus likes this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

Yes, its like a CFD in some respects. You own the rights attached to the contractual agreement with the broker, but there is no possession of anything at any point since there is no underlying instrument.

8. padutrader

padutrader

you do not own dollars or euros?

you do not get physical delivery of the currency....I never wanted the delivery any way.

9. I agree that it has similarities with CFDs but, in the end, they're not the same thing. With retail foreign exchange trading, individuals speculate on the exchange rate between different currencies. Today, traders are able to trade spot currencies with market makers on margin. This means they need to put down only a small percentage of the trade size and can buy and sell currencies in seconds. I'm not a retail forex trader, I trade CFDs with https://www.investous.com/international/. With CFDs, I have a wide range of financial instruments, while retail trading is a small segment.

SilverHammer and Bullus like this.
  10. Thank you! Well said!

#10     Oct 20, 2019