Is manual day trading dead?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 777, Dec 4, 2016.

1. 777

I have been away from day trading for many years

... as I look around all I hear is "algos, Quants, high frequency"

.. prop firms going down, Shoenfeld fired people in droves.

What is the truth about trading in today's googly fast machines environment?

VPhantom likes this.
  2. southall

southall

Day trading stocks was easier during the dot com bubble, mid 90s to early 2000s
    Was it ever the same after that?

What about interest rate products, before 2009 there were all these prop firms and traders making a killing trading the bund, bobl and shatz etc.
    Lots of the prop firms have closed down.

The trading pits have closed.

I suppose you either swing or long term trade manually, or you day trade with an algo.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    VPhantom likes this.
  3. 777

Thank you, Southall

I am looking forward to all well meaning replies as I know their are some sharp guys on here

There was a poster named Lescor whose posts I followed long time ago but I see he has not posted in a long time

VPhantom likes this.
  4. You get better profitability with longer period weekly swings .

technical analysis dax signal

5. arna

arna

All good with Day trading. A lot of great stock everyday. But of course volume is not as good as few years ago.

VPhantom likes this.
  6. Is manual day trading dead?

If it were, I would have died long ago! It, and I, are alive and kickin'!! Even with all the newfangled stuff that's around, the only thing that's changed is the speed of the price movement. And that is a benefit!

7. 777

What techniques do you prefer with stocks?

Many years ago I traded NYSE Market On Open Orders

VPhantom likes this.
  8. Reviewing recent historical data should show you if the trading tactics you used years ago would work today.

9. I see no difference, speaking in terms of the way that prices move, between now and any other time.

VPhantom likes this.
  10. If you find yourself blaming high frequency trading for your failures in the marketplace...then you were never successful before anyways.

Not being an ass or anything -- but just something to think about or reconsider in your strategy o_O:confused:
    They deal in huge volume, but make an extremely small profit.

Ideally as a trader, you want as shorter time frames as possible...so you can have much more revolutions for more opportunity and compounded growth.
    and i'm not talking about scalping stock for peanut profits either -- those commissions will easily eat you up.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    #10     Dec 4, 2016
    Money Trust and JackRab like this.