Is ES rigged?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Darc, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Darc

Darc

You Americans trading after hours don't have many choices other than the ES do you? Seems to be a lot people here trading for a long time who are still unprofitable eg. the great @Overnight 28 years trading still struggling.

Any chance the Algos and big boys are deliberately preying on the Retail?

murray t turtle and themickey like this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

I did not say I was trading FUTURES for 28 years. I have been trading FUTURES for 8-9 years with some breaks in the early going. I remember that response I made to that question that was posed. What I was referring to was the question about general trading, and stocks were included in that response. If you enter and then exit a stock trade, that is trading. That is what I meant. Not day-trading per se. ;-)

As for your question regarding trading after-hours? Of course there is more than the ES. There other equities and metals, there's the energy products...There's a bunch. Really the only limited sectors would be stuff like meats and softs, those oddball contracts.

Darc likes this.
  3. Darc

Darc

You can't trade Europe without getting up early can you, well most of you? Asia requires you to stay up late, so I just assumed ES was almost forced on you.

Why ES? Heard it said it's pretty much run by Algos. Are the big boys preying on the Retail?

4. Overnight

Overnight

I reckon people want to trade the ES during overnight hours simply because it is the most liquid, with tightest spreads. As for algos? They dominate all markets, not just futures in the US. Most trading on liquid contracts is executed by algos. I am sure the DAX and FTSE, for example, also has this issue when they are open.

themickey likes this.
  5. Darc

Darc

Can't Algos anticipate, let's say a pattern forming, front run it or prey on the Retail trying to anticipate it's completion? Chit like that. ES and Forex would seem more susceptible due to higher level of Algo participation.

6. Darc

Darc

I'm talking predatory Algos preying on the Retail by knowing their usual strategies.

7. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

if you are hot or cold you can win but if you are warm then it spit's you out.

translation - smart or dumb = win / normal intelligence it's rigged for you.

Handle123 likes this.
  8. themickey

themickey

No, algos don't prey on retail.
    Algos are machines programmed, they just operate.
    Where retail run into problems, not due to algos but due to ignorance.
    Retail believe all sorts of bs, that's where the problems lay.

rb7, Scataphagos and Darc like this.
  9. maxinger

maxinger

It doesn't matter whether ES is rigged or not.
    Just focus on the chart.

Even if ES is rigged, be thankful for the riggers.
    For they provide trading opportunities.

Lately, ES futures is tradable during the Asian
    and European sessions due to the banking crisis.

upload_2023-3-22_7-54-7.jpeg

10. themickey

themickey

....as well, the media pumps out bs and retail believe and act on it.

#10     Mar 21, 2023
    murray t turtle and Darc like this.