iPad Pro 2020 vs. Surface Pro X: Which is a better buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TradeTune, Apr 18, 2020.

1. ipad-pro-vs-surface-pro-x-100812994-large.jpg Hi All,
    I'm going to buy a new Mobile device (Tablet or Pad) for my traveling and home use. Since i will be trading within few months, it would be nice to buy something thats fit trading overall.

I'm with IB and Tradestation for now and thinking of stocks and futures. what do you suggest for long term. I ask this because i know many platform are not offered for iPAD or just web trading version. what do you suggest? And if you have to pick iPad, which size 11 inch or bulky 12.9 inch? or should i wait for new year, let prices drop or get an upgraded device. Thanks

Device specification
    https://www.windowscentral.com/ipad-pro-vs-surface-pro-x

2. FTDK

FTDK

Definitely not the iPad, way to limited in software.

I wouldn't go for the Surface either, why not a lightweight laptop?

apdxyk and Sekiyo like this.
  3. Laptop is not portable for mobile people these days. And they weight nearly two times as these devices. Meantime laptop keyboard are not detachable.

4. NQurious

NQurious

I own both (iPad is a couple of years old, surface pro just a few months). I prefer the iPad pro with the Apple pencil and the Apple smart keyboard to the surface pro.

I actually found of the iPads, I prefer the 9.7 inch. I have no problems with the screen size, it is easy to hold, carry, and store. I don't know if the 2020 comes in that smaller size.

The Surface feels more unwieldy, especially the way the keyboard is designed. With the iPad, the keyboard folks flat behind the tablet and you can use the onscreen keyboard. Not so with the surface and this is a severe limitation to its use as a potable solution, imo.

5. Turveyd

Turveyd

Surface would run all windows software, your going to want the bigger ipad to trade with I'd say.

I trade off a Samsung A 10.5 £200 cheap if dropped also a 3year old Ipad Pro 10" ish, when away from home.

Guess you want the pen / mouse ability so Surface.

But Surfaces aren't built well I've seen and don't last long, that's the trade off. On screen keyboard is an after thought aswell, lose 1/2 the screen and doesn't do it well unlike Ipads.

6. ironchef

ironchef

When I travel I use a 2018 MacBook Pro with iPhone hotspot to run my trades. My 15" MacBook Pro is a little heavy but has decent computation capability.

How fast are the iPad pro and Surface pro as compare to a MacBook Pro for running VBA excel programs?

7. Metamega

Metamega

Do the surface pros support most software? I’ve never been a tablet guy just have no use for touchscreen and limited to apps.

The Microsoft surface or dell XPS 13 catch my attention as more practical for an array of use.

But if you have a set list of apps you know you need and they work I can’t see why not.

Been thinking of seeing if the boss get myself a surface pro for job sites. Be nice to have to keep projects up to date. Usually have a set of prints full size printed out but as the project goes theirs endless emails and updates and redlines and it’s not fun reading drawings on a smart phone. With the right apps could redline drawings on my end editing PDF’s.

Their small enough and look durable enough to take my daily use.

8. Turveyd

Turveyd

Don't think Ipad will give you Excel VBA useage, just normal functions.

Surface Pro is a pretty good I7 processor, comparable to your Macbook Pro speed wise, but windows, viruses ( argghhh ) and Updates which screw them over to often ( can switch off ofcourse I do )

ironchef likes this.
  9. FTDK

FTDK

Surfaces run full versions of Windows so yes you have access to all software.

Edit: Except for the Surface X apparently. Its Its running on an ARM processor, big downside for now. I would go for a Surface Pro 7 instead if you want a Surface.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  10. FTDK

FTDK

I really don't get the viruses part. I have never had any issues with viruses on my windows machines, except for once when i was a teen-ager and dumb enough to download something sketchy. If you are a little careful you will not have any issues.

#10     Apr 18, 2020
    virtusa, ironchef and Metamega like this.