Investing Journal - T2S

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Took2Summit, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Start of week: $23,547
    End of week: $22,128 (-6.03%)
    Me Vs. SPY: +0.56%

NKE saved me this week with a phenomenal earnings call. They beat earnings and raised guidance. Another week of outperforming the SPY.

As I am sure you can see from my previoud post, I am branching this portfolio out into more strategies. With my core strategy remaining to be the covered calls. The new strategy I am adding to this is basically do whatever I want. If I see something that seems like a very opportune time to make some money, I will take it with some capital on the sidelines. Today that opportunity was shorting ZSL. I just hope it was a decent enough entry @ 19.64. I plan to hold this short until the 10-12 range. Will add to the short if it goes against me the next couple of days.

#51     Sep 23, 2011
  2. Covered ZSL @ 14.54

I know I said my target was 10-12 but this trade just moved too much too fast in my direction and I will take the ~25% gain in just 2 days of holding.

#52     Sep 27, 2011
  3. Start of week: $22,128
    End of week: $22,110 (-0.08%)

I am done updating real time trades, I don't think anyone cares anyways.

I will say this, I lost about .30 on a decent amount of contracts this week due to clicking submit trade and being rushed away from the computer and coming back a couple hours later to find I didn't click confirm trade. This was yesterday when the market reversed. I ended up making the trade towards the market bottom yesterday.

#53     Sep 30, 2011
  4. Added HD to the portfolio with the Oct 22 34C sold

#54     Oct 5, 2011
  5. This might seem like a pretty dumb question to some but I admit I am new to this strategy. I see this anamoly occur every now and then and would like to make sense of it.

Today Macy's common is down about 0.33 as of writing this. My sold call for 22 Oct 27 strike is up 0.22. I couldn't find any news on Macy's, there is no upcoming earnings prior to expiration day, no dividends, no major news that I can find, and on top of that the VIX is down today as well.

I've noticed this happening one or two other times in different underlyings as well during my venture in this strategy. Can anyone help shed light as to why this is happening?

Thank you.

#55     Oct 5, 2011
  6. Updates will now be completely in the uploaded picture and as you can see I continue to drive away from my index. I am now up nearly 12% from SPY since I've started this journal.

Current holdings:

HD
    MSFT
    M
    NKE

Sold calls:

22 OCT 34 HD
    22 OCT 27 MSFT
    22 OCT 27 M
    22 OCT 87.50 NKE

Still happy with the way the portfolio is structured, not changing anything fundamentally. Looking to add TGT and VZ in the next month or so here.

NKE was recently added to weekly options, will need to decide whether to begin doing weeklies on NKE. I have been doing weeklies on MSFT but decided to skip the weekly this time and just do the monthly. Could get .20 for the weekly or .42 for the monthly (which includes 2 weeks) so in order to cut down commissions I went for the monthly today.

#56     Oct 7, 2011
  7. metameta

metameta

Just curious, why don't you just sell naked puts on the stocks you have instead of going long and short the calls? its saves you the commissions on stocks and has virtually the same risk/reward payoff. I just sell naked puts on stocks I like, covered calls would just add to my expense and get me the same return.

#57     Oct 10, 2011
  8. Long term gains on the UL. I initiate by selling puts.

#58     Oct 10, 2011
  9. on 7/22 my week end update was $24,201

I just wanted to take the time this morning to announce that my account briefly made a new high water mark this morning sometime around 20 minutes ago when it was $24,216. It has since dipped below and back over several times. I have been net long this entire time and completely margined.

This was my biggest drawdown at some point was down about ~20%, it has been 2 months and 3 weeks since my last highest point and it has been 1 month and 3 weeks since my lowest point of $20,285.

Phew that was a rough sweat. As we know it is no where near over though and I am sure the update in 2 days will be vastly different from today

#59     Oct 12, 2011
  10. Where's the blotter? It's not vetted, so what's the point exactly? Why not simply post a screenshot of your NLV and block the account number?

#60     Oct 12, 2011