Internet connection dropping with new AT&T U-verse service

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader13, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Trader13

Trader13

I was using AT&T DSL for many years and the connection would drop maybe once every month or two, no big deal. I recently switched from AT&T DSL to U-verse with a bandwidth upgrade and now my connection drops intermittently a couple times a day. Most of the time, it only drops for a couple seconds and then it automatically reconnects without any action required on my part. I get an audible indication when this happens because my Gmail notifier will sound a chime whenever the connection is re-established. During the lesser number of times when it remains disconnected longer than a couple seconds, I am more impacted since I cannot access the web.

I searched and read posts from other U-verse customers with the same problem, but the solutions suggested are all across the board without any consensus on a fix. I will be interested to hear from ET members who have experienced this problem and any advice (besides switching to another ISP which is Plan B).

2. gwscan

gwscan

Make sure the line you are plugging the modem into is a direct shot to the NID...(The grey box on the outside of the house where ATT brings the service in). A splitter is used there to isolate your "modem line" from the rest of the lines in the premises.
    You don't want it to be part of the other lines in the house. Either ATT or an electrician can wire it for you.
    I did this with U-verse before I moved

3. MAybe your overall line do not support your current bandwidth to your fullest potential anyway. So please make sure it's all working now for any possible outcomes. For example for ADSL2+ it's like 20 mbps or so, ask your phone provider about that.

4. maxinger

maxinger

Time to migrate to fibre broadband say 10Gbps?

5. FSU

FSU

This question was asked 4.5 years ago. Hopefully the OP has things taken care of now