Interactive Brokers with Prorealtime trading

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rudi20, Mar 22, 2020.

1. rudi20

rudi20

I like Prorealtime and I'm thinking of converting my IB account to a PRT sponsored account.
    I trade mainly e-minis and the commission is lower when orders are placed on the PRT platform.

Has anybody made the move? Are there any disadvantages to having PRT sponsorship over a standard IB account?

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

https://www.prorealtime.com/en/

Not familiar with them -- but I haven't looked beyond TWS is a while. It looks like a professional set-up, but while not having studied the site, one number does jump out at me as concerning: they announce 9.9M trades through the platform in 2019.....

10 trades an hour, round-tripped, 6-hour market days, 250 market days = 30k annual trades.
    dividing 10M trades by a 30k-annual "active" tick-scalper lends a 333 total users estimate.

Still looks like a nice go-to-market product in which I'd be interested, "333 total users" or not.
    They have a free end-of-day version that would meet the large fraction of my current trading, so I'll put it on the list of "Fun Stuff To Check Out On A Free Day". (Which could be tomorrow, or could be next year...:confused:)

[EDIT] There is an extensive programming guide for the integrated Programming Interface (not an afterthought API, but an actual, thought-through PI ). Very nice. I'm bookmarking this site.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. ZBZB

ZBZB

tommcginnis likes this.
  4. rudi20

rudi20

I should clarify my motivation is not to save costs. I was going to pay for PRT and feeds just for charting. But account manager suggested moving the account and I effectively get cheaper commissions and the software for free. So it seems a good deal but I was wondering if I was missing something.

TWS is still available in case of PRT failure so I'm guessing I have no less operational risk than a standard IB account.

tommcginnis likes this.