incidence of covid infection in vaccinated vs previously infected

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by luisHK, Jul 25, 2021.

1. luisHK

luisHK

Any update on the situation ?
    I see they are trying to vax recovered people but now hear much more about covid invections in double vaccinated folks than reinfections.
    Estimates early in the pandemic were that around 35% of people were immune to covid thanks to antibodies from other disease they previoualy contracted.
    Add to this regular tests on the market don"t appear to catch some antibodies working against covid.
    This hints to a whole lot of people might as well not elect to face the numerous secondary effects of the vaccine as the profit vs reward for them is particularly bad.
    Didn"t follow all details especially recent ones on these issues but wonder about them as coercitive measure to get people vaxxed increase daily.
    Any input on those issues, that is preferably not too wildly political ?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. Sig

Sig

You are kind of asking the wrong question. The relevant question is probably more along the lines of how many people are hospitalized in A vs B.

A somewhat related thought, what makes up a "recovered person" matters a lot. You could have had a mild case you didn't even know about except you took a test to travel, or it could have nearly killed you. If it's the latter, you probably need the vaccine least but given you know firsthand how serious it is you'll probably get it. In the former case, you may not have much resistance from having had it, or you may not be susceptible to start with, I think the research is still out on that?

Pekelo likes this.
  3. luisHK

luisHK

It actually appears if this study ( not a conspirationist theory, I discovered it in spanish mainstream news) is any right that even mild cases develop strong antibodies, a problem being those antibodies don´t (always ?) appear in tests available to the consumer.
    I understand the vaccine is supposed to give recovered individuals more antibodies but it´s not clear how useful that is.
    And on top of that there´s the issue of the people who were immune to at least the early variants

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/mild-case-of-covid-19-induces-antibodies-with-lasting-protection

4. luisHK

luisHK

I haven´t read anything recently about reinfected people, while news report talk about considerable number of positive cases among vaxxed folks. I suspect lots of reinfections would be hyped up by the press, but a previous infection might well protect better than 2 vaccine shots and it leaves one wondering how helpful it is to vaxx when recovered. Article below is a very pro vax paper mentioning at the beginning increased risks of reinfection with the Delta variant but certainly not resolving the question here.
    Note that a training mate claims he´s tested positive for covid in 2 different occasions since it started, both times it was mild or asymptomatic. I think his wife tested positive at the same dates (again, according to him)

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/mild-case-of-covid-19-induces-antibodies-with-lasting-protection

5. I happened to see a YouTube video which showed scientific papers in which non-infected vaccinated people were compared to people who had a covid infection. The charts are interesting to watch:

luisHK likes this.
  6. tomorton

tomorton

“The coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccines are safe and effective. They give you the best protection against COVID-19.”
    (National Health Service, here in the UK)

I had covid before a vaccine was available. Since then I’ve had my two doses of the Astra vaccine. If a booster is required in the next few months I’ll get that asap. If a booster is required next year I’ll get that too. If a booster is required annually, I’ll get it too.

virtusa likes this.