In Disappointing Year, Bridgewater’s Flagship Fund Returns 0.5%

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Jan 8, 2020.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

In Disappointing Year, Bridgewater’s Flagship Fund Returns 0.5% (Institutional Investor)
    Bridgewater Associates, the world’s largest hedge fund firm, had a tough 2019. The firm’s flagship Pure Alpha strategy was essentially flat in 2019, with Pure Alpha 18 Percent, the more leveraged version, falling 0.5 percent for the year, according to an investor in the funds. The less leveraged version, Pure Alpha 12 percent, gained 0.5 percent for the year. Pure Alpha 18 percent had been in losing territory all year.

3. danielc1

danielc1

I don't get the fuzz. Every strategy for large capital has good years and bad years. The main strategy's of Bridgewater is being exposed to the markets with the least amount of volatility and or correlation. It's perfect for parking money that you do not need and know that in 20 years it will be there with a result that beat inflation.

Nobert and murray t turtle like this.
  4. This is true. I think Eileen leaving is actually a positive signal for how the company is run.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. dozu888

dozu888

I am telling you these guys are just what I call the 1000-monkey phenomena.. got lucky, got famous, then go flat.

6. Could be!

7. R1234

R1234

The world of hedge funds is a paradoxical business where more PHDs and brainpower does not necessarily equate to a better product.

8. carrer

carrer

Buy and hold S&P perform much better.

murray t turtle and SimpleMeLike like this.
  9. %%
    Possible D888/200;
    but no such thing as luck+ they beat SPY/S&P 500 past 10 years...........................................................................................................................

Nobert likes this.
  10. destriero

destriero

lol to "pure alpha" as the SPY beat by 25%. "Pure Aloha" to your money. Oh yeah, and you paid 2 on your cash and 30 on that 0.5%.

#10     Jan 8, 2020
    lovethetrade and dealmaker like this.