I'm an experienced Python programmer and data analyst, looking for employment or collaboration

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Kust, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Kust

Kust

I'm an experienced Python programmer and data analyst looking for employment or collaboration in trading and quantitative finance.

I have worked as a Python backend developer for about three years and received favorable recommendations from my colleagues and superiors.

upload_2023-3-18_10-56-52.png

I seem to have a decent understanding of statistics, including hypothesis testing. Also, I have some experience with regression analysis and machine learning. I am well aware of the dangers of overfitting.

In my spare time, I develop systematic trading strategies, and I seem to be able to find some alpha.

upload_2023-3-18_10-58-9.png

However, I feel like these efforts may not be worthwhile if I use the outcomes solely for trading with my limited capital. Also, the issue is that the cost of paid data sources is exorbitant for individual traders, whereas free alternatives appear unreliable.

Please see my CV (PDF) and LinkedIn profile, and feel free to contact me.

MACD and hilmy83 like this.
  2. You only need to have a good working strategy to make your income from trading. Then you do not need any jobs anymore as you are independent regarding your income. You do not need to be anyone his slave when you can make money from trading. Just have a look at Quantpedia(.)com. There are plenty of good strategies here.

Quanto, MACD and gkishot like this.
  3. 2rosy

2rosy

Sell the shovels. What you think is simple to do others love. Charts, trade ledgers, data mungers. Software scales

tomas262, d08 and M.W. like this.
  4. d08

d08

In the retail trader world, 99% are making money from shovel sales it seems.

MACD, tomas262, comagnum and 2 others like this.
  5. Handle123

Handle123

I have found most programmers are good in their field of study. Skilled traders are good in their field of study. But to be skilled in both, never have found.

SimpleMeLike, tomas262 and Zwaen like this.
  6. Zwaen

Zwaen

This is indeed a bit surprising. Considering myself, as an 'economist' who morphed into a 'data scientist' I found the field of the real data and programming people very 0-1 thinking. Difficult to explain, but in general programmars are often very 0-1, while reality is more fluid, unclear and 'bendable'. (Very 0-1 thinking of me ;-))

7. Programming can be mastered within five years. 10,000 hours.

Trading can take longer and your edge can degrade over time , it is a lot harder than programming.

8. Darc

Darc

As a Programmer and Data Analyst, if he hooked up with skilled Trader eg @KCalhoun he'd/they'd be onto a good thing wouldn't they?

Do all sorts of strategy testing and building?

9. Handle123

Handle123

I have 2 full time programmers, they are excellent at what they do,, they do not have decades or years of experience in trading and their ideas all fail in times of chop. My four decades of trading experience and 2 decades of programming, I can understand the code they write and I know how to adjust when trading changes.

And yes, I believe trading takes much more time to master than learning to program.

I believe my knowledge of programing helps when I design systems to be programmed by them

MACD, Tradess0610 and SimpleMeLike like this.
  10. d08

d08

So what you're saying is programmers should be more .25 - .75 people :d

#10     Mar 19, 2023
    Zwaen likes this.