IIT M.S. Finance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by chicagodon, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Has anyone gone through this program? I've been looking at different grad school programs in Chicago, and this one seems to have the curriculum that interests me the most. I probably can't get into U of C, plus I believe their program is only full time which I cannot do. So I've been looking at DePaul, Loyola, and maybe Northwestern. Again but not sure if I can get into Northwestern.

It seems that if the classes are taught well the education could be second to none. However I'm worried about IIT reputation and how it compares to the other schools listed. Anyone with any insight would be helpful. Looking for end goal jobs in a hedge fund or prop firm.

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

IIT is a great school. I know many guys that have gone through there. Here is the catch. If you want to stay in Chicago, IIT is perfect. It actually has a lot of faculty from the chicago prop trading community. You will have a decent alumni network to tap into. Outside of Chicago, I'm not sure anybody knows what IIT is. Sounds a lot like DTI.

My next question though is, what do you want to do. I'm always amazed when I ask this simple question to young people (or old people for that matter) how many of them can't give me an answer. The answer to this question should absolutely dictate how you go about this process. Do NOT say, oh I don't know, I just want get a trading job somewhere. Have some passion in your answer. Answer in the affirmative. Tell me EXACTLY what you want to do and EXACTLY why you want to do it and EXACTLY how you are going to qualify yourself to do that. Do NOT spend the money or invest the TIME until you can answer all three questions.

But as to your question, the IIT program is very good if you plan to stay in the Chicago community and offers pretty good bang for the buck.

3. 2rosy

2rosy

you can get an online masters for 6k
    http://www.or.gatech.edu/
    If you want to go to grad school in chicago its u of c or northwestern.

4. xandman

xandman

Ok. I promised myself that I wouldn't give DePaul another dime. But, I gotta plug my Blue Demons.

when it comes to trading and exchange traded derivatives, DePaul and IIT are very well connected to the community. Just look at the bio's of the instructors. Evening classes are even better, they are taught by working practitioners.

U of C and Northwestern is for getting into a white shoe IB in NY or mgt consulting. But, you still have to come out at the top of your class.

I'll probably be going to UIC in 2015 for comp sci/math.